Author Topic: Latest Movie Thread  (Read 827447 times)

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
Latest Movie Thread
« on: February 24, 2013, 10:49:07 am »
Not a fan of going to the theater with the unruly masses and the VIP Cinemas at Cineplex has help. I tend to wait until moves are released for rental and on Apple TV. Last night my son was pestering for me to watch Seven Psychopaths so we did. I saw some of trailers and it looked amusing but was I ever surprised. Very entertaining and with Christopher Walken and Woody Harrelson how can you go wrong  :)

I like the what Jimmy Carter had to say about Argo:

http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_c2#/video/bestoftv/2013/02/22/pmt-jc-on-argo.cnn

Northernridge

Re: Latest Movie Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 11:21:14 am »
Cineplex Inc. (CGX) is a success story...ups and down in Hollywood have not affected their stock trajectory, here is the 5-year chart. And they pay a 4% dividend. Buy on a dip?

Movies – I took my boys to The Hobbit in 3D soon after it was released after not seeing a 3D movie in years. I was amazed at how successful the technology is now. Theatre going is one of the things my near-adult kids want to do with me so I'm completely up for it.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 02:38:20 pm »
I heard Piers Morgan did it all single handed......................Argo was a bust for ME..................farts running around in BIG GLASSES would be a better title... as thrilling as popped haemorrhoid :sleep: OR Jimaah Carter runnin his.Peenis Plantation...I think BEN AFLACK!!...has joined the legions of Hollywood
stars...like Clooney who re write History not knowing it and get miffed when you call them on it..................only rented it because 7 psychos was unavailable
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 03:35:33 pm »
Also not a fan of going to the movie theatre between the public (talking, cell phones, etc) and poorly calibrated theatres (why do they not all have standards?) I prefer to sit at home and enjoy.  I've probably see 1 movie a year in a theatre, sometimes if that.  Occasionally we try to support our neighbourhood repertory cinema if its something that would be good on a very large screen.

Just watched The Giant Mechanical Man which is a very good romantic comedy.

An offbeat romantic comedy about a silver-painted street performer and the soft spoken zoo worker who falls for him.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1769363/

Available on Netflix (USA).

Also working our way through Human Planet. For anybody that enjoyed Planet Earth you will also like this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Planet

Bought the BD for only $20, amazing value for amazing quality.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 03:58:31 pm »
Watched Taken 2 last night, it was allright. Ol Liam though is getting a little old for that kind of movie......someone should also send that memo to Bruce Willis, no more Die Hards, watching a senior citizen jump out of cars and get the crap kicked out of him is getting a little lame.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 04:27:48 pm »
I'm the complete opposite.  I LOVE the movie theater.  The big screen, big sound, crowds, line ups, whatever.  It's all part of the experience and I like it all.  It's one of the few urban activities I would miss if I moved to some tiny hamlet somewhere.

Taken was decent, Taken 2 was LAME.  They just tried to cash in, and the performances were all called in.

Recent movies:

Zero Dark Thirty.  Don't care about accuracy, it was gripping as hell.  Chastain proved she's more than a stunning red head.

Argo.  Yeah, again, a bit of a US rah-rah movie, but great acting (even Affleck!) and great directing brought it home.

Silver Linings Playbook.  A great date movie.  Thought Jennifer Lawrence was going to be too young for the part, but she was good.

Side Effects.  Thought it looked formulaic, but was pleasantly surprised.  Jude Law is no longer the "pretty boy" and is a decent actor.  Rooney Mara was excellent at "acting broken."

Warm Bodies.  Okay, we saw it 'cause the kids were at it, and there wasn't anything left.  Well, call me surprised.  A cute zombie-fied take on Romeo and Juliet, it had some innovative moments and decent acting.  No Oscar contender, but way better than I thought it was going to be.

Identity Thief.  I think Melissa McCarthy is hilarious, and she is, but the whole movie conspired to make her unfunny.  She managed to save a couple scenes, but otherwise, this is easily one of the worst movies I've seen in a while.

Django Unchained.  Don't go if you're easily offended.  Go if you love Tarantino movies.  He's back, and it was good.  Like in Basterds, Christopher Waltz stole the show, but there were other fine performances.

Snitch: Okay, the trailer makes it looks like a Micheal Bay explosion movie, but it has Susan Sarandon in it.  Well, she must have needed a new jet or something, 'cause there was no reason for such a fine actress to take a part in this stinker.  The Rock, sorry, Johnson, was miscast big time.  Stupid movie based on what was an interesting true story ad could have been a decent movie.  Ruined.  Save your money.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 05:01:24 pm »
Thought of another one we watched on the weekend.

High Ground
Eleven veterans returning from Iraq and Afghanistan join an expedition to climb the 20,000 foot Himalayan giant Mount Lobuche. With blind adventurer Erik Weihenmayer and a team of Everest summiteers as their guides, they set out on an emotional and gripping climb to reach the top in an attempt to heal the emotional and physical wounds of the longest war in U.S. history. Representing nearly every branch of the military, the veterans, and the Gold Star Mom who joins their trek, bring humor and deep emotion to this hero's journey all captured with breathtaking, vertigo-inducing cinematography.

Good movie, very heavily focused on the Vets and their issues being injury and/or politically related. Watching people with one leg or no sight climbing a big mountain is something else.  Would have liked to seen more scenery but I understand why there wasn't.  Filled with stories from the war(s) the Vets were in and what happened to them. War is just nasty.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 06:26:36 pm »
Not a fan of going to the theater with the unruly masses and the VIP Cinemas at Cineplex has help. I tend to wait until moves are released for rental and on Apple TV. Last night my son was pestering for me to watch Seven Psychopaths so we did. I saw some of trailers and it looked amusing but was I ever surprised. Very entertaining and with Christopher Walken and Woody Harrelson how can you go wrong  :)

http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_c2#/video/bestoftv/2013/02/22/pmt-jc-on-argo.cnn
Yeah, Seven Psychopaths. Pretty good.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 06:47:55 pm »
10 would be better......................................

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2013, 07:10:56 pm »
skyfall last night, great movie

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2013, 07:57:39 am »
 ??? ::) neither of you had a PEE..... :stick: :fall: ....
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 07:59:22 am by safristi »

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2013, 09:35:03 am »
skyfall last night, great movie
Yup!!!  Seen it a couple of times, love it!
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2013, 08:22:48 pm »
I go to the cinemas maybe once a year.  I MUCH prefer watching a movie in the comfort of my home on my home theatre. 

A couple of recent movies that I watched that I thought were really good were Django Unchained and Argo. 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2013, 12:58:30 am »
Watched 3 movies the last 15 months, Mission Impossible - Ghost Protocol, Sherlock Holmes 2, and Skyfall. Enjoyed all 3, although Sherlock 2 fell short of my expectation.

Used to enjoy the theater experience, now have to wait till my little is old enough to go. Do enjoy  good cartoon movies as well.

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2013, 08:26:14 am »
There are certain movies that simply need to be seen on the big screen. I have what I think is a decent home theater with a 92 inch screen, 1500 watt custom made sub. But it still can't compare to the giant screen at a theater the sound system in the Empire Extreme cinemas or the viewing angle of sitting half way up in the theater.

I saw Zero Dark 30 recently and the impact of the helicopter taking off when they go to find OBL is stunning. I 've watched Black Hawk down at home many times and it still doesn't come close. Movies with huge scenery like Lord of the rings, towering waves like Taming Mavericks really need that big screen experience.

I'll watch both those moveis (Zero and Taming Mavericks) again at home but it won't be the same. I too have had several "private" screenings usually when I am away for work in some smaller center where I have been either the only person or one of two or 3.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2013, 08:30:54 am »
District 9 last night

Offline laspalmas

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-7
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Kia Rondo EX
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2013, 08:42:16 am »

I intend to rent and watch it but I am not looking forward to the squirming in my seat and frustration I will be feeling as I see the americans patting themselves on the back, as usual, for something they have taken complete credit for.
 :shake: :shake: :shake: :shake: :shake:
I remember watching this drama unfold those years ago and how proud we were of Ken Taylor. Gutsy amazing feat.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 09:39:28 am by laspalmas »
Trust in Allah - but tie up your camel

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1159
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2013, 07:08:27 pm »
Watched Argo last night. Altough I loved the first half or 3/4 of it, I tought the very last part of it was kind of Mickey Mouse. Since it's historical that they got out of Iran I won't reveal any punch here; but to see the Iranians chasing the 747 with a truck and police cars was like watching a 3 Stooges cartoon. Come on, the take off speed of a 747 is 180 mph and the cars (and truck) actually catch up to the plane and pass it as it takes off the ground. A good movie overall, but it would have been much better if it did not try to turn to a cowboy movie with the indians chasing.

And thanks Laspalmas for the Carter interview. It gives a quite different point of view than the film did.

Offline laspalmas

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-7
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Kia Rondo EX
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2013, 08:35:44 am »
Watched Argo last night. Altough I loved the first half or 3/4 of it, I tought the very last part of it was kind of Mickey Mouse. Since it's historical that they got out of Iran I won't reveal any punch here; but to see the Iranians chasing the 747 with a truck and police cars was like watching a 3 Stooges cartoon. Come on, the take off speed of a 747 is 180 mph and the cars (and truck) actually catch up to the plane and pass it as it takes off the ground. A good movie overall, but it would have been much better if it did not try to turn to a cowboy movie with the indians chasing.

And thanks Laspalmas for the Carter interview. It gives a quite different point of view than the film did.

Actually, thank Snowman, he posted the video. I'm going to watch the movie tonight.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 08:56:21 am by laspalmas »

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1159
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2013, 11:09:50 am »
Oups, Thanks Snowman!  :shuffle: