Author Topic: 737 MAX in the news again  (Read 2514 times)

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +102/-402
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '24 Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve
Re: 737 MAX in the news again
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2024, 06:57:27 pm »
I was on a 737 Max from YYZ to Dallas today... decent enough machine but Jesus Christ, is this the only plane left in the AC fleet that doesn't have on board Wifi?! How are people expected to work on a flight during business hours?
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2024, 07:49:12 pm »
 ;D

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2024, 07:59:12 pm »
I was on a 737 Max from YYZ to Dallas today... decent enough machine but Jesus Christ, is this the only plane left in the AC fleet that doesn't have on board Wifi?! How are people expected to work on a flight during business hours?

You're doing it wrong. Connectivity sucks.  Up in business you should pounding back mini booze bottles and slapping ass!

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '24 Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2024, 12:29:28 pm »

You're doing it wrong. Connectivity sucks.  Up in business you should pounding back mini booze bottles and slapping ass!

Heh - I wish… I actually don’t drink! Total waste of a ticket I suppose!

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2024, 12:47:08 pm »

You're doing it wrong. Connectivity sucks.

Generally true, but I wonder if they've recently upgraded their services...   I bought their 'Ulitmate' (top) wifi option for recent flights to Germany and back and I was able to stream Leafs-Bruins game 1 on my way out.   Pretty surprising honestly.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2024, 01:42:08 pm »

You're doing it wrong. Connectivity sucks.

Generally true, but I wonder if they've recently upgraded their services...   I bought their 'Ulitmate' (top) wifi option for recent flights to Germany and back and I was able to stream Leafs-Bruins game 1 on my way out.   Pretty surprising honestly.

Yup, and with my status I have free wifi on any plane that offers it. Even the ages-old, crappy CRJ-900s that do a bunch of the short-haul Jazz flights have wifi.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2024, 07:06:14 am »
Interesting how mergers can sometimes have such a negative effect on a company.
While Boeing was the survivor company it is widely suggested that McDonnell Douglas' corporate culture (and imported executives with a Jack Welch/GE philosophy) are what sent Boeing into a downward spiral.

Sort of like the comments regarding MB's purchase of Chrysler when the joke was "MB got in bed with Chrysler and ended up catching Chrysler disease"  ;D
« Last Edit: May 15, 2024, 07:51:34 am by sailor723 »
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline warp

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-39
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 VW GTI, 2024 Toyota Grand Highlander, 2024 VW GLI
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2024, 06:49:44 pm »
While Boeing was the survivor company it is widely suggested that McDonnell Douglas' corporate culture (and imported executives with a Jack Welch/GE philosophy) are what sent Boeing into a downward spiral.

Sort of like the comments regarding MB's purchase of Chrysler when the joke was "MB got in bed with Chrysler and ended up catching Chrysler disease"  ;D
Somewhat similar to what faux super manager Carlos Ghosn did to Nissan. Underfunded development for years and put in the cheapest components ( e.g.JATCO CVTs) which shored up short term profits but then eventually Nissan spiraled into the disaster that it is today

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2024, 07:00:37 pm »

Somewhat similar to what faux super manager Carlos Ghosn did to Nissan.

Say what you will about Ghosn, but he legit saved Nissan.

They had a massive $20 Billion debt he inherited and IIRC few, if any cars were profitable.

Only a few years after he took over they became one of the most profitable car companies in the world.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2024, 07:03:16 pm »

They had a massive $20 Billion debt he inherited and IIRC few, if any cars were profitable.

Only a few years after he took over they became one of the most profitable car companies in the world.

And then it all went to crap again.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2024, 07:05:20 pm »

And then it all went to crap again.

Yep. Overstayed his welcome.

Didn't he save/restructure Michelin too?