Author Topic: The Fishing Thread  (Read 17804 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
Re: The Fishing Thread
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2022, 10:14:10 pm »
Damn Ron, that's hardcore!

For sure let me know when you're in my neck of the woods.

He's had a number of opportunities to come to Ottawa, heck last summer he could've came up here to pick up his Boxster, but didn't  :stick:  If he ever does make it, we'll have to get out on the links  ;D

That's a bit untrue...or misleading.  Maybe both?   :rofl: :rofl2:

The cost to ship the Boxster was CHEAPER than the flight out there! (was during COVID, remember?).

But yea, I really need to get out there to see all the 613 people.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2022, 10:08:41 pm »
Entertaining idea for a thread! Even for those of us non fishermen

:iagree:
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2022, 10:33:20 pm »
Two nights ago my oldest and I went bass fishing at a reef in the main lake.

I even managed a small pickerel on the ultra light that rrocket sent me.

Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2022, 10:52:12 pm »
Two nights ago my oldest and I went bass fishing at a reef in the main lake.

I even managed a small pickerel on the ultra light that rrocket sent me.

Real nice!!  Must have been a fight on the UL rod!!  Also...looks like a lovely wooden boat you're in.  Have you showed pictures of it before?

The Solunar says the next 4 days are "excellent" fishing days, so I'll be going out tomorrow before work and every day thru Sunday...likely doing "2 a days" again.

Going to throw a "new" Micro Chatterbait if there's no weeds.  If there's weeds, I'll be throwing a Texas Ned rig of some sort.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2022, 09:07:13 pm »
Took an extended lunch break (1 hr) and went and fished a creek just around the corner from work.

Creek is mostly covered and weedy, which is difficult to get access to and difficult to fish on ultralight tackle.  I found a drainage grate made of cement that was juuuust above the water level, so I climbed down and fished from there.

Had a NICE one on and it fought really, really well.  It was big!  Perhaps a dozen or so feet from landing it, it made a spectacular jump and threw the hook.  What an ibcredible effort by the fish!!  He deserved to win that battle!!

I then had another bite and hooked and landed this one.  Was a bit dicey getting him in because of all the thick lily pads and weeds.  But I managed!

So I had two hits and 2 fish on.  Very pleased with this, as there's a technique to hooking these on topwater takes and more so when using light tackle...but I've put a ton of work into my technique this summer, so it's paying off.

Was using a Z-man Finesse Frog, weightless, Texas rigged,  on a 2/0 EWG hook.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2022, 10:44:08 pm by rrocket »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2022, 09:05:52 am »
Went and did a round of fishing after work.

It's no joke catching a Bowfin on light tackle.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2022, 09:15:15 pm by rrocket »

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2022, 10:45:24 am »
What a crazy looking fish!!  That must have been a hell of a bat

Also...looks like a lovely wooden boat you're in.  Have you showed pictures of it before?

I'm sure I shared a photo of it a few years ago, unfortunately I can't find it right now.

It's made by a company just south of North Bay called Giesler Boat and it's the 17' Kipawa model. 

They have been making them since 1920 and are still in business!  Their boats were super popular on Lake Nipissing since they were light and very sea worthy.  I grew up driving an 18' Nipissing model with a 20 Merc tiller on the back. It would do ~28 mph and was able to run in 4' seas without issue.  They do pound in a chop, and aren't the dryest boat, but have no problem with big water.

This one has a 50 2-stroke and will do almost 30 mph with one person.  It's super fun to cruise around in, you feel like you've stepped back in time.

Here are the two photos I could dig up.  The first looks wierd because it's a wide angle lens, but gives you an idea of what the inside is like.

The second is a screen cap from instagram (can't find that damned photo!) but shows the profile.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2022, 10:50:55 am by tortoise »

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2022, 10:51:18 am »
It is a beautiful boat, and good on you for keeping wood vessels alive. 

Spend much time maintaining it?

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2022, 11:04:02 am »
It is a beautiful boat, and good on you for keeping wood vessels alive. 

Spend much time maintaining it?

It's not actually mine, but my stepfathers. 

Yes, they can be a lot of mainteance, requiring annual varnishing if you want it to last.  This particular one has fiberglass below the waterline so it's bit easier.

My dad had a Powassan model for 25 years or so.  It wasn't fiberglassed and the inside and out had to be varnished every year.  But it was pristine when he sold it.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2022, 11:48:06 am »
Very cool boat tortoise.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 26, 2022, 06:13:41 pm »
Wow! Beautiful boats!

Very nostalgic.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2022, 02:43:12 am »
Put in some time Saturday exclusively using a new(ish) hybrid technique to me. A Texas rigged Ned Rig. This is a weedless finesse technique using fine wire 1/0 finesse EWG hook.

Caught my location personal best!  3.0 pounds on the scale. Was a fat hog! Could fit my fist into its mouth. Also caught a 2.2 and a bunch of 1lb fish.

Really rewarding technique, if a bit slow moving for my taste.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2022, 10:29:54 am »
^nice work!

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2022, 11:15:38 am »
Ya, nice work Ron.

The Walleye bite has been slow through August at the lake, which is typical this time of year. Managed to snag a couple in about 20 feet of water yesterday jigging with a Rapala Rippin Rap. Pike have been biting ok. Walleye should pick up here soon with water temps dropping.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2022, 07:10:44 am »
Continued working the Ned rig and in difficult/pressured conditions works as advertised. Will catch fish when seemingly nothing else will. Not a terribly active fishing method but that's precisely the point.

I think I've found my 2 preferred rigging for the Ned, so will proceed from here to further refine retrieves with this rigs.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2022, 08:32:01 am »
When fly fishing nymphs I've caught as many bass by just letting the fly SLOWLY bounce off the bottom as I have actively working it.  Sometimes the best approach seems to just let it sit there.

Definitley not as gratifying as working topwater, but hey - a fish is a fish.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2022, 01:56:33 pm by tortoise »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2022, 01:41:22 pm »
When fly fishing nymphs I've caught as many bas just letting the fly SLOWLY bounce off the bottom as I have actively working it.  Sometimes the best approach seems to just let it sit there.

Definitley not as gratifying as working topwater, but hey - a fish is a fish.
Yes.

But you don't really feel a part of the process.

One of the tenets of Ned is that you shouldn't feel the jig. If you do, it's too heavy and size down.

It's just weird programming your brain not to feel anything while fishing.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2022, 03:34:12 pm »
Agreed on not feeling part of the process.

So, in 2019 I bought a Quantum rod that I accidentally broke on the August long weekend.  I was placing the hook into the hook holder and the rod snapped on the tip section. 

I reached out today via e-mail asking about purchasing another tip section.  They had me send in some photos and other info.  They just got back saying a new rod is in the mail.  Totally surprised by this, but super impressed with the service.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2022, 03:45:53 pm »
Agreed on not feeling part of the process.

So, in 2019 I bought a Quantum rod that I accidentally broke on the August long weekend.  I was placing the hook into the hook holder and the rod snapped on the tip section. 

I reached out today via e-mail asking about purchasing another tip section.  They had me send in some photos and other info.  They just got back saying a new rod is in the mail.  Totally surprised by this, but super impressed with the service.
Nice!!

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
The Fishing Thread
« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2022, 01:28:51 pm »
Walleye are biting good again as the water temps drop.  Boated three this morning along with 2 pike. Lost several.

Caught the first in 16 ft of water jigging with a PK Lure. Caught the others on Rapala cranks in 8-10 ft. Beauty of a morning.  Kept two for a fry and the rest went back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk