Author Topic: Golf Thread  (Read 125813 times)

Online Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
Re: Golf Thread
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2018, 06:44:00 am »
I guess this post could also be in the "What makes me happy" thread.

I played my first round of golf in two years, due to two severe concussions. I have to say I did OK. We had a good turnout, 14 golfers, and I finished tied for eleven with three others in the group. Could have finished in a tie for 5th, as there were only 4 strokes separating 5th from 11th, so other then the top 4 who are almost scratch golfers, we are a pretty well matched group.

During my time not golfing, I took the opportunity to work on some parts of my game. Mainly stance, grip pressure and tempo and my irons. I also got a new Driver, 3 wood, 4 and 6 hybrids. My long game and approach game was great. Now I have to work on the chipping and putting.

I bought the new Taylor Made with twist face on the Driver and 3 Wood. I have to say, the twist face really works. I only missed one fairway with the Driver, however I was only about 6 yards off the fairway, but  right up against a tree trunk. 3 wood is now my go to club, never missed a fairway, and out drove 2 of the other players in the group and was within 5 yards of the third and they use their drivers. Not bad for some one pushing 70.

My problem with the irons, is that I tended to push them to right. I have fixed that, but now I have a slight pull to the left.

Just glad to be back golfing.
Congrats!! Sounds like you're back in your groove!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Online Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2018, 06:52:02 am »
Played my Monday league game yesterday after work, we won our match & should be getting some good points for team low net (results will come out this morning), but I absolutely sh!t the bed on the last 2 holes!! Hole 8 is a par 4, hit a great drive 255yds in the middle of the fairway, then proceed to duff the next 2 shots, finally I'm on in 4 & then 3 putt for a 7!!! Next hole pull the tee shot into the woods, take a drop & then I'm in good shape, duff the next one short. Next shot I leave it in the rough pin high right, chip on & then my putt rims out so I 2 putt for a lovely 8, on a par 4! So 15 over the last 2 holes for a 50 overall. I was sitting 35 with 2 par 4's to go, even if I just bogied them I'd be sitting with a 45, bogey golf! Oh well, guess that's why I play Monday's & not Sunday's on NBC, LOL!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2018, 05:17:01 pm »
Am enjoying the extreme difficulty of the course kick the professional's asses at the US Open.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2018, 05:27:10 pm »
E6 is a great ball.....I use them in yellow.

FWIW, if you want to buy premium balls at junk ball prices I highly recommend https://golfballs.ca

IQs favorite ball (Nike Power PD) are no longer made, and that's where I buy them now...and my balls too!

The best ball/value on the market is Snell balls if buying new. The guy who designed the Pro V1 started his own golf ball company. In blind tests, his ball (My Tour Ball) regularly out performs the Pro V1 at a significantly reduced price. And their cheapest offering (the Get Sum) I prefer over the E6.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2018, 10:43:32 pm »
Wilson Duo is a great ball! I bought a box of their new Duo Soft when they came out last year.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2018, 12:23:03 am »
Bizarre moment with Phil during the US Open.

Online Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2018, 12:30:29 am »
My go to ball the past 2 seasons has been the Nike Hyperflight, perfect for my game.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12356
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2018, 06:50:48 am »

Indeed.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2018, 07:06:56 am »

I bought the new Taylor Made with twist face on the Driver and 3 Wood. I have to say, the twist face really works. I only missed one fairway with the Driver, however I was only about 6 yards off the fairway, but  right up against a tree trunk. 3 wood is now my go to club, never missed a fairway, and out drove 2 of the other players in the group and was within 5 yards of the third and they use their drivers. Not bad for some one pushing 70.

You sure it's the clubs?  And not something crazy like you were just swinging well?  I guess since it was your first round in a couple years there is no way to know, but sometimes a layoff is great for your game.  My skepticism is bottomless for golf companies and their "radically new awesome" technology that they trot out.  Every.  Single. Year.  Last year's clubs are total crap compared to the longer / straighter / more forgiving clubs we have out this year!  Get yours now!!!  Lol we should all be hitting 400 yard drives just by waving the driver at the ball by now.  :rofl2:  It's even more ridiculous when it comes to golf balls.  There are regulations limiting how far a ball can fly, but every year the shiny new pack of balls they are shilling are longer, longer, longer than before!  ::)

Last year I played all of two rounds early in the season, then my third and final round in early October.  It was just a fun round with my wife and daughter joining me and my regular golf partner.  My attitude was one of giving not a flying fack about my game or my score - just enjoying a beautiful fall day with family and friend.  I shot level par on the front nine and ended up with one of my all time best rounds ever.  All using an 8 year old set of Ping irons, mixed Cobra and Callaway woods, all of which could have used a re-grip for at least the past two seasons.  And whatever golf balls were rattling around in my bag.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2018, 07:08:10 am »

Indeed.
His explanation made sense...but kinda violates the etiquette of golf.

Also..Phil has a history with the USGA so I'm also wondering if he did this to half clown them because of how they totally lost control of the course. The USGA seems to f*ck it up every year.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2018, 07:14:13 am »

Indeed.

Also..Phil has a history with the USGA so I'm also wondering if he did this to half clown them because of how they totally lost control of the course. The USGA seems to f*ck it up every year.

I kinda get the complaint but 1) they can't control the conditions - the course played comparatively easily on Friday when the winds were down; 2) the US Open is SUPPOSED to be the baddest-ass test of golf on the planet and 3) everyone had to play in the same conditions.  "Lost the course" sounds like a whiners excuse for an inability to compete in the harshest conditions.  I'd much rather see this than some guy winning a "major" shooting 20 under par.

Remeber Carnoustie at the Open Championship when the flags were damn near bent flat by the wind?  I don't recall a bunch of crybabies moaning about how the "course was lost".  It wasn't lost.  It was right there in front of them, kicking everyone's ass.

As for Phil - total :censor:.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 07:16:16 am by Jaeger »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2018, 07:31:39 am »

Indeed.

I kinda get the complaint but 1) they can't control the conditions - the course played comparatively easily on Friday when the winds were down; 2) the US Open is SUPPOSED to be the baddest-ass test of golf on the planet and 3) everyone had to play in the same conditions.  "Lost the course" sounds like a whiners excuse for an inability to compete in the harshest conditions.  I'd much rather see this than some guy winning a "major" shooting 20 under par.

Remeber Carnoustie at the Open Championship when the flags were damn near bent flat by the wind?  I don't recall a bunch of crybabies moaning about how the "course was lost".  It wasn't lost.  It was right there in front of them, kicking everyone's ass.

As for Phil - total :censor:.

Yea it supposed to be hard. At the same time it's silly. Friday was good...very hard but fair.

Saturday was stupid. Guys over putting a hole by a foot and the ball rolling 30yds. The greens so hard (and short) that even spinning the ball couldn't hold it. Some people said the greens looked dead.

Yes, everyone had to play but those in the morning had a huge advantage. There is supposed to be some consistency between the sessions.

And it's not whining. Even the USGA officials said they made it too hard...but refused to say they lost the course (they did IMO).  And you'll recall at Carnoustie play was suspended several times due to the wind. This was a different situation IMO. At Carnoustie (or the Open in general) they always play against the elements..while the course itself was still beautifully set up. At the US Open the had to play the elements and a poorly set up course. The top USGA official said "we would admit, well-executed shots were not only not regarded, but were punished. We would say that it was a very tough test, and really too tough this afternoon.” He's absolutely right...poor shots deserve to be punished (like the waist high rough)..but good shots shouldn't be.

Like I said..the USGA seems unable to have an Open without making it into a clown show somehow. They always do something to fack it up. There's a reason Shinnecock lost control of Open before...the USGA.

I LOVE seeing the pros struggle...but this was stupid. They said they are going to water the crap out of the course..hopefully that puts it back to Friday level of toughness.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 07:47:58 am by rrocket »

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2018, 07:41:39 am »
Par is supposed to be what an expert golfer would shoot for a given hole or a given round.  After three rounds of golf, two played in VERY tough wind conditions, in what is supposed to be the toughest test of golf, the leaders are at +3.  Hardly an insult to the concept of par.  Oh, and Friday wasn't particularly tough - not for golfers at this level.  And the scores reflected that.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 07:44:57 am by Jaeger »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2018, 07:54:53 am »
Par is supposed to be what an expert golfer would shoot for a given hole or a given round.  After three rounds of golf, two played in VERY tough wind conditions, in what is supposed to be the toughest test of golf, the leaders are at +3.  Hardly an insult to the concept of par.  Oh, and Friday wasn't particularly tough - not for golfers at this level.  And the scores reflected that.
There was 1 player under par for the tournament at that point...and only about a dozen (iirc) scores under par on day 2 for the entire field. I'd hardly say the course played easy....which is great. It was a test that rewarded well struck balls...the total opposite of Saturday.

I don't want it easy by any stretch (I love seeing the pros struggle)...but I don't want clown show either. It was the first time since 2007 (iirc) that they've been over par at the end of day 3. So yea..a bit of an anomaly.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 07:59:45 am by rrocket »

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2018, 09:11:48 am »
Yeah, yesterday's conditions were pretty crazy.  I don't recall them saying, but I'm guessing those greens were running at least 13 on the stimp.  Just crazy quick, a few brutal pin positions, and it was like hitting a ball onto a coffee table and trying to make it stick.  Should be a fun final round to watch today!
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2018, 01:08:15 pm »
Yeah, yesterday's conditions were pretty crazy.  I don't recall them saying, but I'm guessing those greens were running at least 13 on the stimp.  Just crazy quick, a few brutal pin positions, and it was like hitting a ball onto a coffee table and trying to make it stick.  Should be a fun final round to watch today!
Faster than that! They're 13-14 at the Masters. They set them at 10 for the British Open due to the winds.

Check this crazy green!  LOL

https://www.google.ca/amp/amp.golf.com/tour-news/2018/06/11/shinnecocks-18th-green-ridiculously-fast-us-open
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 01:11:48 pm by rrocket »

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2018, 02:44:47 pm »
So far, I'm liking the playing conditions yesterday more so than today at Shinnecock. 

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2018, 03:51:27 pm »
Nothing like a 63 round to do that, LOL.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Online Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2018, 04:46:16 pm »
Got out for 9 holes today with my youngest for Father's Day [emoji16] (oldest was taking a high-five course for his summer job). Despite it being a slow teaching round I managed to shoot a bogey round of 44, on a par 35 9 [emoji16]

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2018, 04:55:18 pm »
^ Nice, what a perfect Father's Day!    :cheers: