Author Topic: The Contractor/Handy home owner thread - Power tools, fun toys & cool projects  (Read 204177 times)

Offline Ron

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Mazda 3 GT, 2012 Mazda 5 GT
When I was in the business, ~10 years ago now, always preferred Makita saws and Hitachi nailers for the framing and form work. Makitas were simple and rugged, the Hitachis were sleek, light and fast. For reno/finishing had a Bosch table saw and Bosch/Porter Cable guns. Most were bought used. A lot of crews liked Bostich (cheap) or DeWalt (over rated).

Did buy a couple Paslodes when they first came out, really great guns for doing foundations, form work etc. Not great when they got wet however which was a problem here on the west coast. Not very cost effective if used on a regular basis which I did see some do. Also picked up a palm nailer, mainly because we had a young guy who wanted it and we liked him, so got it for nailing hangers. After he left, I don't think it ever left the truck again. I tried it once, seemed to be a novel solution looking for a problem, never saw the need for it personally.

Pawn shops carry a lot of handyman junk but do score professional construction tools occasionally, sometimes barely used...

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
If buying a drill, or impact driver.  Then Dewalt can be over rated.  Main reason I like them, they offer the biggest selection of cordless tools, and accessories.  So will Milwaukee maybe similar in performance and reliability to Dewalt, they offer 1/3 the amount of tools.   

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
If buying a drill, or impact driver.  Then Dewalt can be over rated.  Main reason I like them, they offer the biggest selection of cordless tools, and accessories.  So will Milwaukee maybe similar in performance and reliability to Dewalt, they offer 1/3 the amount of tools.
Depends on what you Need the drill to do
I drill into sheet metal , so the higher the rpm the better
Dewalt has the highest rpm

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Depends on what you Need the drill to do
I drill into sheet metal , so the higher the rpm the better
Dewalt has the highest rpm

Interesting, never really looked at that.  As for just general renos, and outdoor stuff (decks, fences) The variation in RPM is less important. 

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
I saw a comparison of a 3/8 or 1/2 cordless impact, the Milwaukee blew the Dewalt and Snap on away. For a drill to do your fence, the Dewalts are going to be fine.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
I saw a comparison of a 3/8 or 1/2 cordless impact, the Milwaukee blew the Dewalt and Snap on away. For a drill to do your fence, the Dewalts are going to be fine.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

For sure, I have an 18V 3/8 right now, that is at least 6 years old.  3 Decks, 2 Fences, various other jobs.  Still going great.  Batteries lasting a while too.  Next drill 1/2".

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki

Finally got around to using my new power tool.  Up to now I've still been using my old MIG, but I had to change the bottle so decided to take my new one out of the box.
It's a MIG/TIG/arc welder, 120 or 240VAC powered.
I used it to get rid of a couple exhaust leaks on the subaru.  Worked well once I got used to it.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 10:55:49 pm by blur911 »
Mr Pickypants

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
 :fiver:
I always wish I learned to weld

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
I always wish I learned to weld

With MIG the easy stuff is easy.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Just landed a commercial job as a GC... Things are shaping nicely.

That's great!  Things should start for me soon, double digits in a few days.  Means outdoor work for me. 

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Reno? Details 😉

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Reno? Details 😉

Office reno/tenant improvement.   Couple walls, doors, hvac, electrical, flooring, painting....etc

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
On a side note my  insurance for the company came in the mail today  :'(

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile

I  was out with just a T shirt for most of today.

That must have been a sight..
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
This would be a nice pair of gloves
https://youtu.be/YGyI2VOh9YY

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
My company (okay, not MY company, but the one I work for) is a major sponsor of Habitat for Humanity.  This year they are sponsoring the building of a Net-Zero 4-Plex, but supplying design man-power, materials, and encouraging employees to volunteer.

I just signed up to volunteer for a day on September 12th.  I did the same last year when Qualico sponsored a house as part of the Jimmy and Rosalynn Carter build. 

It's actually a two-way street for my company.  Net-Zero buildings will be legislated as mandatory in the near future, so this is a good way for us to figure out best practice, what works, what doesn't. 

I also designed the trusses for this job, so that was also fun.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
I helped out this charity once years and years ago.

Offline Golly

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 05 Miata, 16 Malibu Premier, 19 Buick Enclave Avenir
My company (okay, not MY company, but the one I work for) is a major sponsor of Habitat for Humanity.  This year they are sponsoring the building of a Net-Zero 4-Plex, but supplying design man-power, materials, and encouraging employees to volunteer.

I just signed up to volunteer for a day on September 12th.  I did the same last year when Qualico sponsored a house as part of the Jimmy and Rosalynn Carter build. 

It's actually a two-way street for my company.  Net-Zero buildings will be legislated as mandatory in the near future, so this is a good way for us to figure out best practice, what works, what doesn't. 

I'm really looking forward to working on this Net-Zero project.  I've been a regular volunteer with HFH for over 11 years and I'm impressed with the efforts HFH go to, to make their houses energy efficient, often in collaboration with major sponsors that supply the material, e.g., Dow donated all the 2" SM Styrofoam for all 150 HFH homes across Canada last year, and Insulated Concrete Foundations etc. I've been told that the Net-Zero ceilings will be R80 and the walls R40 (5.5 inches fiberglass and 4 inches of SM Styrofoam). 

This season I've been putting in 2 days a week since mid April, mostly on houses in the North End, an area of town that I would not normally go to, so it's been a bit of an eye opener.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 11:13:07 pm by Golly »

Offline Golly

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 05 Miata, 16 Malibu Premier, 19 Buick Enclave Avenir

GBA, don't know if you have been on the build site or driven by recently but I snapped this pic this morning.  Over the past 2 weeks I've been helping to put on the 2 layers of SM Styrofoam on the outside of the 4-plex.  It was a balmy -8 this morning and it didn't warm up much during day so no danger of heat stroke or dehydration.

That rear roof that the solar panels go on is MASSIVE.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
The trusses were so big they had to built in two parts, known as 'piggybacks'.  A bottom part, and a top part.

If you're there for two weeks, are you a team lead, then?