Author Topic: First Drive: 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe  (Read 29739 times)

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
Re: First Drive: 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2012, 09:55:51 am »
Oh that does make a good comparison.... Wonder if the powers at Nissan and Hyundai would mind a day at the track....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe throw in a Mustang V6 Track Pack to stir things up?

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-103
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2012, 10:00:34 am »
Oh that does make a good comparison.... Wonder if the powers at Nissan and Hyundai would mind a day at the track....

You could always ask them... I have a feeling at least one would be up to it.
Manual gearbox evangelist. Die-hard automotive and motorsport enthusiast. Often found covered in mud.

Offline LimitedSlip

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-5
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Current - Civic Si Coupe '07 & Si Coupe '13
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2012, 10:14:03 am »
that 2.0T needed that extra 74hp just to be competitive with a lowly Civic SI coupe (@200hp) ;D
Introduce a little Slip On-Every-Corner

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2012, 10:15:11 am »

You could always ask them... I have a feeling at least one would be up to it.

I am sure James will

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2012, 10:29:07 am »
that 2.0T needed that extra 74hp just to be competitive with a lowly Civic SI coupe (@200hp) ;D

Uhhhhhh.  Sure.

It sounds like a good improvement. Hope they compare it to brz and stang.

My buddy drives his 128 all year round. No problem. I drive mine all the time. Tires suck but I don't have particular problem.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2012, 10:29:28 am »
I should say that the jacka$$ I'm refering to has a 2011 Mustang GT convertable with the same rims and tires he drives in the summer.  He frequently has a hard time getting into his driveway and he doesn't have a garage.  I've been behind him a few times this winter and he's all over the place and generally a liability behind the wheel. 

Here in the maritimes most people don't know how to drive in the winter period, either going too fast (pickup truck drivers) or way too slow (getting stuck going up a small incline).  Most don't have winter tires and stick with their all seasons.  There are those who are capable of driving in the winter with a sports car, who have proper winter tires and rims, and who know how to handle a RWD vehicle.  I'm speaking in general that most people don't know how to and should not have their sports car out during the winter time.  Personally I wouldn't have a sports car as my only vehicle no matter how much I love them.  I can admit that both me and my wife wouldn't be too comfortable driving a RWD vehicle in the winter even with the best winter tires money can buy.

Fair enough. We have all seen those types out there. Thanks for the clarification.

To me, storing one car or the other is a pain in the neck. Plus like most houses, the driveway is too short to conveniently have 3 cars (2 for me, one for my wife) and get the winter cars in the garage during big storms. Can't get the 'blower out either. Should buy a bigger house!

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2012, 10:32:32 am »

and a Regal  ;D :run:

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2012, 10:33:27 am »

and a Regal  ;D :run:

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2012, 10:34:58 am »
The turbo is the engine to have, boost is much better than a V6, with a couple of mods that little turbo 4 should be a screamer. Keep your RWD sport car in the garage for the winter, Im sick of seeing jackasses driving their Mustang/Challenger/G37/M3 on summer tires in front of me in a snowstorm, for me its a safety thing, with snow tires, whatever, you wanna wreck your little car, fine, but on summer tires, your endangering others. They cant merge, change lanes or stop well.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2012, 10:46:32 am »

Car and Driver compared the Mustang V6 track to Genesis V6 and Mustang easily outhandles the Genesis.  This was obviously not the 2013 model so hopefully they improved things as this article suggests.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2012, 10:46:45 am »
The turbo is the engine to have, boost is much better than a V6, with a couple of mods that little turbo 4 should be a screamer. Keep your RWD sport car in the garage for the winter, Im sick of seeing jackasses driving their Mustang/Challenger/G37/M3 on summer tires in front of me in a snowstorm, for me its a safety thing, with snow tires, whatever, you wanna wreck your little car, fine, but on summer tires, your endangering others. They cant merge, change lanes or stop well.

but V6 sounds better.  ;D

even with winters, it does get somewhat difficult to drive with my lowly 333HP sometimes. i see camaros and chargers with all season on them and i wonder how the heck they are going faster than me.

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2012, 10:48:22 am »

Uhhhhhh.  Sure.

My buddy drives his 128 all year round. No problem. I drive mine all the time. Tires suck but I don't have particular problem.

The Si reference is actually true.  The old turbo couldn't keep up to the Civic haha. 

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2012, 10:49:28 am »
There is something to be said for that "PSSSHHHH"when you shift a turbo though   ;D I see this all the time, SRT8 Charger on the stock summers out and about when its snowing. For the cost of a decent set of snow tires and rims for most of these things.....you can pick up a little Suzuki Samurai or Chevy Tracker.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2012, 11:06:36 am »
... Im sick of seeing jackasses driving their Mustang/Challenger/G37/M3 on summer tires in front of me in a snowstorm, for me its a safety thing, with snow tires, whatever, you wanna wreck your little car, fine, but on summer tires, your endangering others. They cant merge, change lanes or stop well.

I don't mind seeing those jacka$$es in front of me. Would be much worse if they were behind and couldn't stop in time.

Very nice package this updated GC is. I actually prefer this updarted snout to the previous one. The old one looked sorta pinched, this one is more 'substantial'. The interior upgrades are welcome, and if they sorted out the manual clutch engagement problem, it must be a hoot.

I too vote for a nice pony class comparo. And since all of them are so good and competent, I would hate to see any of them finish last. So please add the Regal GS to the mix  :rofl2:

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2012, 11:08:40 am »
Sounds like a nice enough driver. Unfortunately, for me at least, it fails miserably in the "look over your shoulder at it as you walk away" criteria that is so important in this class.
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2012, 11:10:03 am »
... Im sick of seeing jackasses driving their Mustang/Challenger/G37/M3 on summer tires in front of me in a snowstorm, for me its a safety thing, with snow tires, whatever, you wanna wreck your little car, fine, but on summer tires, your endangering others. They cant merge, change lanes or stop well.

I don't mind seeing those jacka$$es in front of me. Would be much worse if they were behind and couldn't stop in time.

Very nice package this updated GC is. I actually prefer this updarted snout to the previous one. The old one looked sorta pinched, this one is more 'substantial'. The interior upgrades are welcome, and if they sorted out the manual clutch engagement problem, it must be a hoot.

I too vote for a nice pony class comparo. And since all of them are so good and competent, I would hate to see any of them finish last. So please add the Regal GS to the mix   :rofl2:

....oh sweet jesus....what have you done.... :run:

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2012, 11:10:58 am »

Uhhhhhh.  Sure.

The Si reference is actually true.  The old turbo couldn't keep up to the Civic haha.

reference?   i know civic SI is a good car, but i have hard time believing SI would win in all performance category.  (especially, in a straight line, SI isn't that fast)

For the cost of a decent set of snow tires and rims for most of these things.....you can pick up a little Suzuki Samurai or Chevy Tracker.
  yeah, hear ya.  last time i went in bimmer showroom, set of wheels and tires for X5 were starting at 6k.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2012, 11:12:54 am »
$6K?!?!?!?!?! Holy sheeetttt, thats insane.

Offline Ace

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +11/-61
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 14' Hyundai Santa Fe Sport , 06' Nissan XTrail
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2012, 11:52:17 am »
 Buy  oem rims and winter tires from a dealership, you gotta be kidding  :rofl:

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2012, 12:01:25 pm »
Sounds like a nice enough driver. Unfortunately, for me at least, it fails miserably in the "look over your shoulder at it as you walk away" criteria that is so important in this class.

That explains my sentiment more eloquently than anything I would have written.  Very impressive machine (based on specs), but for a not-entirely rational purchase like a sports coupe, I'd need to lust after the vehicle.  And I don't think there would be enough "gotta have it" factor here for me to justify a Genesis coupe, even if it is a good value.  Same goes for the Mustang - I'm very impressed with the performance, specs (live rear axle notwithstanding), and especially the value.   But again, just don't "feel the love" for it.  At least not enough to lay down my own cash for one.

But I give full credit to Hyundai (and Ford to a lesser degree) for making substantial improvements to the Genesis/Mustang before the mandatory 3-year "refresh".  It seems like they've significantly improved their respective models with each year, and most importantly, have listened to consumer feedback along the way.  Nissan, you listening?