Author Topic: Acura TSX Wagon  (Read 18403 times)

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
Acura TSX Wagon
« on: May 06, 2013, 08:12:17 am »
The only mainstream (non luxury) wagons available in Canada are the Subaru Outback and the VW Golf Wagon.  The others are luxury end, or  are no longer made, or not available to us. 

When a model doesnīt sell very well, itīs good for buyers, because discounts and negotitating a better price is easier.  So any thoughts out there on the 2011 Acura TSX wagon (only available in the US).  It uses the 2.4L engine with 5 speed auto.  Not in the market for another year or so, but it seems appealing. 

In New Jersey, on autotrader, at an Acura dealer, there are 2 avaialble with 5000 miles, for $25,000, they have leather already (no premium package like we have here in Canada).  On autotrader.ca a sedan with leather with 10,000km goes for around $28,000, so it seems like a good deal for a nearly new, premium wagon...

Only issue I seem to find, is that Honda doesnīt honour the warranty in Canada.  But if I wait a couple of years, and find one out of warranty, for even less money, then that wonīt be an issue....

Any thoughts?

Offline SeaBlueS4

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +9/-8
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 S4, 2016 Forester XT, 1972 Triumph TR6
Re: Acura TSX Wagon
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 09:46:16 am »
The only mainstream (non luxury) wagons available in Canada are the Subaru Outback and the VW Golf Wagon.  The others are luxury end, or  are no longer made, or not available to us. 

When a model doesnīt sell very well, itīs good for buyers, because discounts and negotitating a better price is easier.  So any thoughts out there on the 2011 Acura TSX wagon (only available in the US).  It uses the 2.4L engine with 5 speed auto.  Not in the market for another year or so, but it seems appealing. 

In New Jersey, on autotrader, at an Acura dealer, there are 2 avaialble with 5000 miles, for $25,000, they have leather already (no premium package like we have here in Canada).  On autotrader.ca a sedan with leather with 10,000km goes for around $28,000, so it seems like a good deal for a nearly new, premium wagon...

Only issue I seem to find, is that Honda doesnīt honour the warranty in Canada.  But if I wait a couple of years, and find one out of warranty, for even less money, then that wonīt be an issue....

Any thoughts?

Biggest problem may be whether you can actually import it to Canada.
Since the wagon was sold here it likely never went through the certification / safety tests. Transport Canada would probably consider it a different model to the sedan so would need it's own testing.

First thing is to check whether it is on the list of allowable imports (riv.ca I think) which will also list any modifications that are on it.

Smart pick to import though if you can, nice car and fills a void here.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 11:49:30 am »
I looked at importing one of these too as the TSX wagon DOES fill a void. There were rumors that an AWD variant was coming out but it never materialized and so my interest waned.

On the warranty front you can have any warranty work done in the U.S. so short of your engine exploding and depending on where you live it's probably not a big deal. Also, it's Honda so chances are in your favor that your car will be reliable.

all in all I think you should go for it. I checked it out at the Detroit show it's a nice little wagon.

Thats a good idea, I could check it out a the Detroit Auto Show, as I have never been.  And going to the States is not a problem, I go to Buffalo every 2 months (Dad lives in Fort Erie).   As per the RIV.ca website, all Honda & Acura vehicles can be imported to Canada...

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 05:53:02 pm »
Do it.  :)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 06:10:48 pm »
Yep...I see no downside of doing this.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 07:32:02 pm »
FWIW I imported my MDX. Piece of cake.

With how often you're in the States I don't see what you're waiting for. DO IT!  :)

Well I have to wait, I don't like having 2 car payments at the same time.  Currently working on the 48 month term on my Mazda5....

Would also like to see any changes that might happen to the Mazda6, when its due for an update in a couple of years.  Beautiful car, but if it doesn't offer a wagon in a couple of years, I may choose the TSX instead....time is the factor. 

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 04:12:28 pm »
FWIW I imported my MDX. Piece of cake.

With how often you're in the States I don't see what you're waiting for. DO IT!  :)

Vmango, I know this is an old thread.  But it's been racking my brain again.  How much does it cost to have a vehicle imported over?  Like I assume the instrument cluster needs to be changed?  And I suppose the TSX has daytime running lights that can't be turned off.  As per transport Canada I think this all that needs to be done.  This vehicle is on their admissible list.  So is there certain duties/tariffs? 

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 04:48:00 pm »
Nothing has to be changed. Nothing. You put a sticker on your sill and you're done. RIV fees cost very little, 200 bucks?.

Dealers are happy to provide all the paperwork you need and send it to the border for you.

Your only cost would be 6.1% duty if not manufactured in NA. MDX is made in the U.S. so no fee. Of course, you'll now have to deal with a poor exchange rate so it may or may not be worth it anymore. My MDX is American but I found just as good a deal as anywhere in the U.S. on my TL so it's Canadian.

YMMV.

So it's ok that it shows MPH?  What sticker on the sill?  The TSX is made in Japan, so I would need to pay the 6.1%.  I am not looking to buy now, just like to keep my options open.  Basically comparing the Acura TSX wagon, the Outback, the current VW Golf wagon Highline, and the upcoming Golf Wagon...

The TSX wagon is not available here, yes the currency is a factor.  But with this being the last year, I suspect there are deals to be had, and the wagon doesn't sell well in the US.  Still probably one of the few wagons in Canada available for less than $40k

Offline ipolski

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-29
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 540i-6M, Passat Wagon, Tundra, MDX
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 04:58:58 pm »
Nothing has to be changed. Nothing. You put a sticker on your sill and you're done. RIV fees cost very little, 200 bucks?.

Dealers are happy to provide all the paperwork you need and send it to the border for you.

Your only cost would be 6.1% duty if not manufactured in NA. MDX is made in the U.S. so no fee. Of course, you'll now have to deal with a poor exchange rate so it may or may not be worth it anymore. My MDX is American but I found just as good a deal as anywhere in the U.S. on my TL so it's Canadian.

YMMV.

So it's ok that it shows MPH?  What sticker on the sill?  The TSX is made in Japan, so I would need to pay the 6.1%.  I am not looking to buy now, just like to keep my options open.  Basically comparing the Acura TSX wagon, the Outback, the current VW Golf wagon Highline, and the upcoming Golf Wagon...

The TSX wagon is not available here, yes the currency is a factor.  But with this being the last year, I suspect there are deals to be had, and the wagon doesn't sell well in the US.  Still probably one of the few wagons in Canada available for less than $40k

We nearly bought one.  Excellent choice.
The dealers will deal.  When we were looking at one in SLC, in less than 30min dealer offered Tech for the price of base model, and willing to go lower.  You can find amazing deals on 1 year old or newer, with 5k miles or so.  Keep in mind that the warranty is not honored by Canadian dealers.
The speedo has both: MPH and KMH, so no need to do anything.  Not sure about DRLs, US models could already have them, but its a simple and cheap fix if they don't.
Go fot it!  Good luck :cheers:

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 05:00:26 pm »
Go for it man!  Very nice ride indeed and unlikely you will many others around either, so some exclusivity there. I didn't realize it was still being sold in the US, so I may look into this myself.

Offline ipolski

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-29
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 540i-6M, Passat Wagon, Tundra, MDX
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2014, 05:05:00 pm »
Still can't believe they didn't bring the wagon here FFS
They would have sold more here than in US.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2014, 05:05:10 pm »
Still can't believe they didn't bring the wagon here FFS

I find it really weird that they decided to offer it in the us rather than here. 

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2014, 05:05:45 pm »
Thanks for the help guys.  There are some great deals, $22,500 to $24,500 with tech pkg on vehicles with less than 15,000 miles.  Brand new the tech pkg goes for $34,500.  (All prices US)

Have to wait 1 year at least until I pull the trigger.... 

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2014, 05:06:41 pm »
Very nice!  I'd be looking at a wagon myself if there was any choice in our market.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2014, 06:14:04 pm »
I've seen one drive around our neighborhood fairly often and it always catches my eye.

One of the few cars that for which I'd give up my manual requirement.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.