Author Topic: Luxury cars cost more in Canada than the US  (Read 12037 times)

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
Luxury cars cost more in Canada than the US
« on: February 07, 2013, 06:19:04 am »
Railton
-----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.thestar.com/business/2013/02/06/luxury_cars_trucks_cost_more_in_canada_says_pricegap_study.html
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
Re: Luxury cars cost more in Canada than the US
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 06:55:18 am »
The Senate's just figuring this out now?   Good to see our tax dollars at work  ::)
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 08:12:46 am »
Well duhhhh

:o

The report recommended Ottawa review its policies on import tariffs and safety standards with a view to making Canadian prices more competitive with the U.S.
It also encouraged Canadian consumers to bargain harder with retailers.

::)

Yeah bargaining harder with the retailer who simply pays the price the manufacturer charges that will hep. Profit margins at the dealer level are not higher on cars in Canada. Its the distributors like Subaru of Canada or GM Canada that set the invoice price to the dealers and freight charges.  What a stupid thing to say.

Nothing will change people. They will charge what the market will bear. You have 2 choices. Take it or go to the US and try to import a car.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 10:01:07 am »
Well duhhhh

:o

The report recommended Ottawa review its policies on import tariffs and safety standards with a view to making Canadian prices more competitive with the U.S.
It also encouraged Canadian consumers to bargain harder with retailers.

::)

Yeah bargaining harder with the retailer who simply pays the price the manufacturer charges that will hep. Profit margins at the dealer level are not higher on cars in Canada. Its the distributors like Subaru of Canada or GM Canada that set the invoice price to the dealers and freight charges.  What a stupid thing to say.

Nothing will change people. They will charge what the market will bear. You have 2 choices. Take it or go to the US and try to import a car.

I agree moronic replies from our gov't. As far as importing a car from the U.S., it is becoming harder and harder. Some new tricks are being deployed.
As far as low end cars, unless they have a expensive engine immobilizer, they are not permitted.
Regarding expensive cars like Benz, unless you change the bumpers to 8km bumpers $$, most are not permitted. DRL's are hardly a stopper.
The B.S. continues.....
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 10:09:32 am by redman »
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 10:59:41 am »
The only thing the government could legitimately do would be to harmonize safety regulations making importing easier.

1.They won't do it no way will either Canada or US admit the other guy has it right and we don't.
2.Even if they did harmonize the regulations manufactures would just find another way to throw up barriers to protect Canadian dealers who complain about lost sales to the US.

Look it sucks but people need to realize it won't realistically change. People can criticize and say "Oh it won't change if you just give up" but facts are facts. If I have a 100 foot high rock in front of my window it COULD get moved. If I get a permit and buy 1000 tones of TNT and then blow it up without destroying my house and then find a way to car the debris away. It CAN happen but I'd be a whole lot better off to just give up and either move or expend my time and money on something else.

Northernridge

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 11:22:11 am »
The only thing the government could legitimately do would be to harmonize safety regulations making importing easier.

1.They won't do it no way will either Canada or US admit the other guy has it right and we don't.
2.Even if they did harmonize the regulations manufactures would just find another way to throw up barriers to protect Canadian dealers who complain about lost sales to the US.

Look it sucks but people need to realize it won't realistically change. People can criticize and say "Oh it won't change if you just give up" but facts are facts. If I have a 100 foot high rock in front of my window it COULD get moved. If I get a permit and buy 1000 tones of TNT and then blow it up without destroying my house and then find a way to car the debris away. It CAN happen but I'd be a whole lot better off to just give up and either move or expend my time and money on something else.

Driving down cross-border duties and tariffs on consumer goods would help immensely. Part of Canada's lousy productivity numbers stem from the lack of competition. If forced to do better, we would.

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 11:41:29 am »
FWIW I believe pretty much everything is harmonized with the U.S. now anyway.....I think this happened around 2010.

All the B.S. the dealers tell you that you need up here is horse$hit. The American dealer will provide you with everything for free, including the recall letter (which is just a BS statement on letterhead FFS).

I've imported a Subaru WRX, Acura MDX, Porsche Cayenne, and an Audi A4. Nothing had to be changed or altered on any of these cars and the U.S. dealerships were happy to provide me with any and all documentation to get them on the road in Canada.

Piece of cake, tens of thousands saved

If a huge and I mean huge number of people did exactly what you have done then I agree "something" would likely change.

Most likely the manufacturers would throw up more barriers

Subaru covers Warranty but you have to pay and then submit to Subaru US to get compensated. Others would simply refuse Canada warranty coverage which they can and already do. They could simply threaten dealers with sanctions about selling outside their territory which may already be in the franchise agreements.

Even if they didn't throw up barriers the number of cars imported would need to be gigantic for manufacturers to lower Canada pricing scheme and that simply isn't realistic given the need for most people to use dealer financing as well as the travel and inconvenience.

I don't live anywhere near the border. I'd have to buy a plane ticket, get a hotel,take at least 2 days off work  and then drive gosh knows how many hours back to NS . Now if I'm saving 20 K on a luxury car it makes sense but for most people that scenario just doesn't work.

I applaud and admire the way you have imported. It just doesn't make sense for enough people to do it to actually have an influence.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 10:27:08 am »
Driving down cross-border duties and tariffs on consumer goods would help immensely. Part of Canada's lousy productivity numbers stem from the lack of competition. If forced to do better, we would.

I like the way you think.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 06:29:49 pm »

Living next to the US is both a blessing and a curse. Having an economy ten times the size of ours make it virtually impossible to compete on a level playing field despite innovative thinking. We would be better off if we were isolated like Australia with similar population and resources. Or would we? the cost of housing and cars is well above our levels and a decent wage is $200k a year. Go to Australia and order a good steak and round of drinks and see how much it costs  :)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 06:36:04 pm »
I agree.  The proximity of the US has been beneficial to Canada in so many ways, but we get to retain our off-kilter culture.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2013, 06:41:41 pm »

Living next to the US is both a blessing and a curse. Having an economy ten times the size of ours make it virtually impossible to compete on a level playing field despite innovative thinking. We would be better off if we were isolated like Australia with similar population and resources. Or would we? the cost of housing and cars is well above our levels and a decent wage is $200k a year. Go to Australia and order a good steak and round of drinks and see how much it costs  :)

Minimum wage in Australia is about $16/hr.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2013, 06:54:51 pm »
Living next to the USA is ok I guess but...it would be useful if Canadians treated it like the foreign country that it is...really foreign not just an extension of Canada with better weather. Then there would be less whining and complaining about different prices ( of Luxury cars of course) etc.

We could of course just join them...good time now while they have a democratic President.   9 new states and a small French speaking independent country I expect.  I wonder what would happen with Nunavut and the territories.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2013, 07:01:06 pm »
Canada is one of the most affordable high-standard-of-living nations in the world.  We've got it good here.  We keep poverty pretty low (could do better, but comparably, we're pretty awesome), have universal health care, public education, an amazing transport and telecom infrastructure, and massive natural resources.

We have to make sure we don't let it be stolen from us.  The US has let a small number of people make serious inroads into emptying their bank accounts and stealing the future of their nation.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2013, 10:11:40 pm »

My wife was there. No tips but service at many restaurants is lousy.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2013, 10:13:50 pm »
I agree.  The proximity of the US has been beneficial to Canada in so many ways, but we get to retain our off-kilter culture.

Who are you calling off-kilter, eh?  TAKE OFF!   ;D

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson