Author Topic: European delivery program thru US then into Canada  (Read 7223 times)

bgardiner1

European delivery program thru US then into Canada
« on: June 06, 2011, 11:48:25 am »
I am considering taking delivery of a Volvo on their European delivery program then driving in Europe for three months. The US price for the XC90 is $38,400 and the Canadian list is $51,995. Are there any extra issues I need to worry about if I order thru a US dealer then import into Canada? Potential savings make it possible to buy two models up from my original idea> Seems too good to be true!

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
Re: European delivery program thru US then into Canada
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 01:04:55 pm »
First off can I ask why you are looking at a vecile that is riding on what is prbably the oldest platform in the car industry? The XC90 was long in tooth 5 years ago and little has changed aside from some decontenting. That aside my comments are below:

I looked into the US overseas program when I bought my 2006 V70R so about 5 years ago. At that time the "official" word was that the US oversea delivery program was for US residents only. If you have the paperwork to go around this ( PO box in the US?) then perhaps you can make it work. Have the program requirements changed? Typical Volvo garbage on the US/Cdn. pricing.

Pricing details to consider:

-You will pay 6% on the Volvo when importing into Canada.
-Volvo was being real sticky with the clearence letters. Last I heard the Canadian dealers would provide them after a $1000+ inspection. ::)
-Some minor RIV fees etc ($500 total)

-Lastly there was some complaints that Canadian dealers would put US spec vehicles to the back of the list when it came time for warranty issues/customer complaints. They would fit you in, a few months down the road.

Also beware that Volvo began putting MPH only on some of the US models rather than the dual scale setup. To make it legal for Canada would require a complete gauge swap ($200k + ?) or perhaps the old 70's solution of adding km/h stickers to the mph guage cluster.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 01:25:34 pm by ktm525 »

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 01:45:28 pm »
Why not buy a BMW. their eu delivery does work for Canadians although it is not heavily promoted.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 03:25:59 pm »
Why not buy a BMW. their eu delivery does work for Canadians although it is not heavily promoted.

Volvo also does a EU delivery for Canada. It just costs a LOT more. ;D