Author Topic: Auto Manuf's Better Get Real On Supremacy Cdn Dollar  (Read 48212 times)

Offline gord_boyd

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +7/-24
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '12 A7, '85 911 turbo
Auto Manuf's Better Get Real On Supremacy Cdn Dollar
« on: March 09, 2011, 02:12:53 pm »
I think it is time to realize this is not just some blip.  It is time to take political action &/or US Buying Trips against companies
that persist in big differentials.  Perhaps on this thread others could start posting current MSRP differentials as a start.
What do you think?

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
Re: Auto Manuf's Better Get Real On Supremacy Cdn Dollar
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 02:33:11 pm »
Not enough people have cash to buy in the USA so manufactures probably don't care one bit.

Offline gord_boyd

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 02:55:16 pm »
I'm sure a line of credit would be available from any Cdn bank.
And those banking with TD or RBC might be able to use local bank down in USA.

Offline gord_boyd

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 03:22:21 pm »
On behalf KTM 525: HONDA -- HAS A $10K PREMIUM ON RIDGELINES.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 03:31:18 pm »
Fortunately there are enough road blocks in place to prevent the vast, vast, majority of ppl buying in the USA.  Direct financing being the anchor.

What would be devastating is to be a POWER SPORT dealer near the border.  Because new ATVS, Sleds and Boats are much easier to import than cars.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 09:30:49 pm »
some people may have a problem with financing.

Most

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-35
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 03:41:21 pm »
What do you think?

I think you should be writing your MP to complain and ask for a non-textbook explanation.

Thats what I have done in the past.
What you won't find in my car is a coffee, cigarette and a cell phone. What you will find is a driver; imagine that, a driver in a vehicle. What an effing concept!
A car has to do more than just perform; it has to stir your soul!
A true driver's car does not have cup holders.

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 04:00:13 pm »
I think that people who are willing to import should do so if it saves them money and they want to go theough the process. For those who aren't willing to import they should simply be quite and take it becuase nothing short of ACTION will change anything Letters, complaints etc won't change a darn thing.

The only thing that promts any action is when Canadian dealers can document lost sales..enough lost sales from big enough deealers that the manufacturer heeds their cries. Even then the most likley response is not price changes but artificial barriers to importing.
 actually going to import then there really isn't much you can say to anyone that will have any effect.

The car is $10k cheaper in the states?
Are you going to go buy one in the states?
NO
Well then you can pay my price or not buy the car your choice.

Its kind of like these "gas price" protests people try to organize. Its just hot air. Its fine to vent..I've vented about it ..but things aren't going to change and we need to accept it unless we are willing to take the only action that actually makes any difference. IMPORT
I don't like it any more than anyone else but honestly if you aren't

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 04:53:50 pm »
The lack of financing is a problem for many for sure. But don't rule out the "can't be bothered" factor.
I am a cash buyer nowadays. Dealers for any car I might buy are reasonably close... the furthest would be 80-90 km away in Wopbridge.
I practically never go to the USA...last time was 1994 IIRC
So why would I spend time and effort going to the States AND have the bother of warranties and stuff when I can just drive to KW or Wopbridge at the furthest...or 8 k up the road.  Its only money and the government keeps printing more and more of it.

The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2011, 07:33:30 pm »
The lack of financing is a problem for many for sure.

What about a line of credit? I too pay cash as I am too poor to pay the extra interest charges.

What gets me is the protectionist BS; how US dealers will not sell you a new car, or how Northern Tools will not ship a Honda generator to Canada. These practices are surely due to pressure from companies up here and US companies not wanting to sell a car that they won't be able to service and sell parts for.

I wonder about the legalities of that.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7199
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2011, 07:38:36 pm »

What about a line of credit? I too pay cash as I am too poor to pay the extra interest charges.

What gets me is the protectionist BS; how US dealers will not sell you a new car, or how Northern Tools will not ship a Honda generator to Canada. These practices are surely due to pressure from companies up here and US companies not wanting to sell a car that they won't be able to service and sell parts for.

I remember in the 80s-90s when the shoe was on the other foot.  Dealers here in Windsor were advertising in the USA because of the extremely strong USA dollar.  Many Americans bought cars in Windsor.  Nobody here was crying then....
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 09:50:02 pm »
Wopbridge? Pissing into the wind?

Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2011, 11:15:27 pm »

Typically those are attached to a higher loan rate (an actual market rate, not the subsidized stuff common in auto finance land). Depending on the credit line it might structurally have a higher loan rate (collateralized vs uncollateralized).

And given the general lack of numeric ability among the population, people aren't smart enough to grind through all the numbers and figure out whats actually better in the end. They just jump at "but this one is zero percent!" I hate arguing with people like that...its :censor: impossible...disenfranchise them before they do something stupid imo.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2011, 06:53:24 am »

To be fair.  There are plenty of US companies who just won't ship outside the USA for no better reason that they just don't want the hassle of the small amount of extra paperwork.

As for the Car companies.   Why should, for example,   GM USA hurt the business of GM Canada.
To me it is similar to the very common thing of online services not being available in Canada. The "owners" just are not prepared to play a game with either our bureaucrats or with the Canadian licencees so its easier just to forgo the extra revenue.

IF the FTA and NAFTA had been properly negotiated taking the people into account then we might, just might, be most of the way to a proper American Common Market by now.

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2011, 06:08:25 pm »
To be fair.  There are plenty of US companies who just won't ship outside the USA for no better reason that they just don't want the hassle of the small amount of extra paperwork.

If you are referring to the Northern Tools/Honda Generator example I gave, Northern Tools ships to Canada, its just that they have been "ordered" not to sell Honda generators to Canada...I wonder by who. Not an issue since they will sell me one and send it to a UPS Store stateside for pick-up. And in the end, none of this would be an issue if Honda Canada stopped ripping the consumer off.

As for other companies I have dealt with, I've never had problems ordering from them. What extra paperwork?  ???

As for the Car companies. Why should, for example,   GM USA hurt the business of GM Canada.

What say do they have and what right do they have to order a dealer what to do? Once again, not an issue, all they have to do is wise up, up here. Or why should a Canadian made Honda/Toyota cost less in the US?

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2011, 07:01:27 pm »

As for other companies I have dealt with, I've never had problems ordering from them. What extra paperwork?  Huh

The certificates of origin for Canada excise duties. For some things just the effort to look up to see if they can ship to Canada  etc etc.  One of the companies that does aftermarket car audio gear just won't ship outside the USA. They will happily ship to a UPS office in Buffalo and take a Canadian credit card.

Quote from: tpl on Today at 06:53:24 am
As for the Car companies. Why should, for example,   GM USA hurt the business of GM Canada.

What say do they have and what right do they have to order a dealer what to do? Once again, not an issue, all they have to do is wise up, up here.

GM has every right to order its franchisees to do what they are told.

Or why should a Canadian made Honda/Toyota cost less in the US?
Now that is a question that imho should have been answered by NAFTA. I guess it is not technically dumping or the US gove would have come down on them from a great height.

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2011, 08:26:25 pm »

Just curious what your experience was like when you improted your last new car from the US. How much money did you save..how hard or easy was it etc?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2011, 08:54:20 pm »
Not sure if you're talking to me......but I'll chime in anyway.

...but it was a piece of cake. I was at the border for no longer than 20 minutes. I saved close to 10K on my WRX. I gave Railton some advice over the phone and I believe it was a piece of cake for him as well...although you should ask him.

This was last year.

I dealt with the worse case scenario of importing just recently having my transmission replaced. It's currently in process at SOA for reimbursement. If for some reason there's a problem it will definitely taint the whole deal....but we'll see....I've been informed there will be no issue but I won't relax until I receive the cheque. I did have to pay up front (five grand), however. That won't work for everyone.

That only works for big shooters like you!!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2011, 08:58:25 pm »
You son of a..........

And trust me, I will not be happy if that five K comes out of pocket......

I need to somehow work that photo into a Miami Vice poster.... ;D

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2011, 09:00:37 pm »
Just curious what your experience was like when you imported your last new car from the US. How much money did you save..how hard or easy was it etc?

I haven't; never said I did.

But I did stop in at a large auto mall in NY state and looked at various makes. Not a single one would sell me a new car if I wanted to buy, but they could sell me a used car, even if it was a day old with 1 mile on it.