Author Topic: What can consumers do to help Canadian retailers with pricing  (Read 16097 times)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: What can consumers do to help Canadian retailers with pricing
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2010, 06:29:30 am »
leasing is coming back

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2010, 11:46:56 pm »
For cars many manufatcurers simply kept prices the same but threw up atrifical abrriers to discourage cross border sales. From denying warranty, to 1000 K recall letters to simply punishing US dealers for selling to canadians.

Canadian v. US vehicle pricing is protected and will remain protected because of the over whelming demand for financing and leasing.   It's just that simple.  :)

I'm not sure I fully belive that.

1. Many companies have abandoned leasing almost entirely.
2. If financing was such a powerful barrier why did so many companies feel the need to do things like threaten US dealers for selling to Canada, making outrageous requirements (BMW and their 1K recall letter and instrument cluster changes) or denial of warranty.

1. Many companies have abandoned leasing almost entirely.

The domestics halted leasing because they ran short on $$$, but the Germans, Nissan, and in particular Toyota, never pulled back on leasing.

2. If financing was such a powerful barrier why did so many companies feel the need to do things like threaten US dealers for selling to Canada, making outrageous requirements (BMW and their 1K recall letter and instrument cluster changes) or denial of warranty.

In BMW's case, if they allowed late model used American Bimmers into Canada unrestricted their certified used program would be toast despite their low rates.

New vehicle sales are totally dependent on financing.  In fact, low finance/lease rates trumps brand preference in many cases for the typical buyer who is dumbfounded by the selection.

IMO, one can sell more new vehicles if the price is inflated, but the finance rate is low verse a solid price, but unattractive rates.

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-35
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2010, 12:20:02 am »
Sounds like you were working within One Brand / Manufacturer only, yes? If so, that is almost monopoly within that territory.

I worked at two different VW dealerships in different provinces as well as one multi-brand motorcycle shop.

Worse yet is that some, maybe many, dealers charge extra on top of MSRP. This I know for a fact as I know what cost was, what MSRP was and what was being charged...anywhere from 10% to 25% over MSRP.

For my car parts, I deal with a Honda and Porsche dealer in the US. The Honda dealer discounts 30% off MSRP...an MSRP far lower than ours. The Porsche dealer charges cost plus 15%; for example, one part lists for $98.44, I paid $60.90.

I don't bother trying to figure it out anymore. Money talks, BS walks. Whats funny is that it upsets certain parties where you spend your money. Whats it to them?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 12:22:51 am by hcrv »
What you won't find in my car is a coffee, cigarette and a cell phone. What you will find is a driver; imagine that, a driver in a vehicle. What an effing concept!
A car has to do more than just perform; it has to stir your soul!
A true driver's car does not have cup holders.

Offline jaman

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +43/-573
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Mazda CX-5 GX
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2010, 12:09:06 pm »
Front brake pads for Protege5:

Ajax mazda: $110 CAD
VINCENT MAZDA in Rochester: $34US

???

<EDIT>

ONTARIO MAZDA
2337 ROCHESTER ROAD
CANANDAIGUA, NY         : $95 US

Seems like the Rochester place is got the wrong quote, or just for one side.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 12:12:50 pm by jaman »

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2010, 05:26:56 pm »
I'm just looking at orbital polishers; the Porter Cable 7424XP is one of them.

Canadian Tire: $229.99
AutoGeek: $119.99

With 475 Canadian Tire outlets across Canada, you'd think they have more buying power than AutoGeek.

I guess I can use that left over $110 to buy polishing pads and polish.

Little wonder CTC can have these 40% off sales.

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2010, 05:28:44 pm »
Seems like the Rochester place is got the wrong quote, or just for one side.

Pads come in a set for both front brakes.

You have to ask if they are OEM or aftermarket.

I can get aftermarket pads for my CR-V for a lot less than an OEM set, but they don't come with shims and paste. Cheap aftermarket pads also wear much faster. Not all aftermarket pads are cheap in quality.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 05:33:11 pm by hcrv »

Offline gord_boyd

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +7/-24
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '12 A7, '85 911 turbo
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2010, 08:01:53 am »
At Par on the dlr., I for one want to start actively using dealers sourcing cars in USA
who are competent (no flood victim cars etc.).  I would like any recommendations for Ontario please.

I will be spending above $50K on next vehicle.  I'm hearing there are some terrific deals.