Author Topic: Will an above par Loonie drive more imports?  (Read 8219 times)

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
Will an above par Loonie drive more imports?
« on: December 02, 2009, 06:11:52 pm »
If the consensus in the article below is right will we see another flood of US imports next year or do you think Canadian prices been adjusted down enough to stem the flow? (I may be shopping next year and I'd certainly consider going the US route again if it made sense.)

Dec. 2 (Bloomberg) -- Canadian lumber shipments to China, set to climb after Shanghai adopted a building code for wood- frame construction amid a push to build new housing, will likely help Canada’s dollar strengthen beyond parity with its U.S. counterpart, according to the Royal Bank of Canada.

“You’ve got the potential for lumber to create another bullish situation for the Canadian dollar,” David Watt, senior currency strategist in Toronto at RBC, Canada’s biggest lender, said yesterday in an interview. “You start balancing things out, and parity becomes a relatively easy call for the Canadian dollar out the next few years.”

Crude oil, Canada’s biggest export, gets the lion’s share of attention in discussions about the Canadian currency, Watt said. Even so, lumber, which is often overlooked, “could be the oil of the next decade,” he wrote in a Nov. 20 note. Lumber accounts for 14 percent of the Bank of Canada’s Commodity Price Index, the largest single component after crude at 21 percent.

The Canadian currency, nicknamed the loonie for the aquatic bird on the C$1 coin, last traded on a one-for-one basis with the U.S. dollar in July 2008, when oil reached a record $147.27 a barrel. The loonie traded at C$1.0456 per U.S. dollar today in Toronto, near a six-week high.

Shanghai, China’s most populous city with more than 20 million people, adopted a new wood-frame building code in September that is “a major step forward in the growing demand for Canadian wood products in China,” according to a Nov. 9 statement on Natural Resources Canada’s Web site. Prices of lumber futures for January delivery jumped 16 percent since the statement was issued.

Low-Income Housing

China, the world’s fastest-growing major economy, plans to invest 900 billion yuan ($132 billion) in affordable housing, the state-run Xinhua News Agency reported on Nov. 12. Shanghai will increase the supply of land for property development and speed up construction of housing for low-income families, Mayor Han Zheng said in an Aug. 5 interview.

The probability that the Canadian currency will trade at C$1 per U.S. dollar in 12 months is 78 percent, according to implied volatility from options trading monitored by Bloomberg. RBC predicts the currency will strengthen to C$1.01 by the middle of next year. The median forecast of 38 economists in a Bloomberg News survey is for the loonie to appreciate to C$1.04 in that period.

Lumber futures for January delivery rose $10, the most allowed on the Chicago Mercantile Exchange, to $246.20 per 1,000 board feet on Nov. 30, the highest closing price since August 2008, before dropping 2.1 percent yesterday.

Lumber, an industry that has been “under the cudgel” because of the U.S. housing crisis, may rival crude oil and base metals as one of the primary drivers of the Canadian dollar, Watt said.

“Am I going to be tracking lumber prices more closely going forward? Certainly,” said Watt. “We’ve already got all the indicators of some base metal prices and oil prices. Now you have to start throwing lumber in there too. It’s no longer a commodity that’s on Page 5 or 6 of your commodity indices.”

Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
Re: Will an above par Loonie drive more imports?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 06:14:29 pm »
Russia also dumped a bunch of US currency and chose the CDN currency to shore up their cash reserves... :thumbup:
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 08:53:19 pm »
Wait a minute, I thought this was all transglobal...and didn't make a difference?

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 06:34:47 am »
Well,with a 2010 Sub Outback 3.6 LTD (a car I might consider) priced about 8k less in the US I'd at least have to think about it with a CAD at or near par.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 11:20:53 pm »
NAFTA-approved Z4s sound good if things go well in the new year.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 11:30:14 pm »
Interestingly, there's been some de-contenting in US-spec'd 3-series, while the Canadian spec'd ones have added more standard equipment (overall; some minor changes or deletions similar to the US ones as well).

I know the MSRP of the Canadian 3-series have also increased over time, but the price difference between the two countries has decreased.

For example, my 335i comes standard with a bunch of stuff that requires a $10,000 upgrade in US 335i.  The price difference came out to $5000 only ($52,000 vs. $57,000)

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2009, 11:34:47 pm »
Another example I came across in the bimmer forums:

Our 323i got better base alloys.  The 328i US sedans got "downgraded" so to speak by getting these same alloys (which are 16"), whereas the Canadian 328i got 17" ones.

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2009, 11:36:29 pm »
Well,with a 2010 Sub Outback 3.6 LTD (a car I might consider) priced about 8k less in the US I'd at least have to think about it with a CAD at or near par.

Is the standard equipment the same in US Subie models vs. Canadian ones?

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2009, 08:35:00 am »
Interestingly, there's been some de-contenting in US-spec'd 3-series, while the Canadian spec'd ones have added more standard equipment (overall; some minor changes or deletions similar to the US ones as well).

I know the MSRP of the Canadian 3-series have also increased over time, but the price difference between the two countries has decreased.

For example, my 335i comes standard with a bunch of stuff that requires a $10,000 upgrade in US 335i.  The price difference came out to $5000 only ($52,000 vs. $57,000)

you have also include a 6% importing tax and cars made outside of NA

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2010, 03:32:06 pm »
Sub Outbacks and Tribecas are made in Indiana so the 6% isn't an issue. I see the dollar is just under .98 US today so this thread may become more relevant.