Author Topic: Land Rover charging $1000 for a recall clearance letter. Is this fraud?  (Read 16546 times)

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
With the dollar coming back to parity with our friends I have been scoping the web for a new ride. How about a nearly new LR3 for $30k? That catch as always is that Land Rover is charging $1000 for the recall compliance letter. What is involved is a quick inspection and typing the VIN into a database to confirm that all recalls have been addressed.

All this for $1000. Is this legal? I know Volvo pulls a similar stunt.

Thoughts?

ps. Yes I know the LR3 is a POS. ;D

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: Land Rover charging $1000 for a recall clearance letter. Is this fraud?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 01:06:07 pm »
Why would it not be legal
You want somrthing, and this is how much they charge for it
Do not like , do not get it

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 02:09:22 pm »
I just had to :censor:;D Land Rover doesn't even inspexct the vehicle. They literally type in the VIN and hand you a 8 1/2 * 11  printout. 30 seconds of work for $1000. Thats good money!

$120 000/hour shop rate! :rofl2:

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 02:15:06 pm »
I know a guy who tried to import a Ferrari - it was something like $10-20K for the letter, DRLS and inspection.  :o

It sucks when there is one and only one source. Its not like you can get a third party to do the research.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 04:33:24 pm »
BMW also charges for the letter - $500, although there may now be a work around to get out of it.

From what I hear, if you want BMW Canada to honour your US warranty, you'll also have to have the instrument cluster changed over to a Canadian one, have the nav system reprogrammed to display kms instead of miles, and something to do with the HVAC must be changed out as well. Total cost is $3,000-5,000.

There is absolutely no Canadian law that says this must be done to make the vehicle legal (even the US speedo has markings for kms), it's purely at the whim of BMW Canada. You can choose not to have it done and still drive and register the car legally, you just kiss any Canadian warranty service goodbye.

There are a couple of lawsuits going on over this, but I'd be surprised if they get anywhere.

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-35
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 06:23:55 pm »
Unethical at the very least.

$1000 for 5 minutes worth of work? They can keep their tin can.

Honda Canada will not issue a letter. My friend brought back an Accord without a letter of compliance from Honda Canada...their loss!
What you won't find in my car is a coffee, cigarette and a cell phone. What you will find is a driver; imagine that, a driver in a vehicle. What an effing concept!
A car has to do more than just perform; it has to stir your soul!
A true driver's car does not have cup holders.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 06:31:27 pm »
Unethical at the very least.

$1000 for 5 minutes worth of work? They can keep their tin can.

Honda Canada will not issue a letter. My friend brought back an Accord without a letter of compliance from Honda Canada...their loss!

If you're buying the car in the USA and bringing it to Canada, you get the letter of compliance from USA Honda.  Or did you friend buy in Canada and try to bring it over to the USA?

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 07:12:46 pm »
The government of Canada could change all this with the stroke of a pen... well an instruction to Transport Canada anyway... the sort of thing that was just done for WindMobile.

Any car imported into Canada that was legally sold new in the USA would be legal to import and register... pay any duty due, pay GST and get a provincial safety check. 
Recommend to the Cdn owner that the DRLs be enabled and the speedo/odo be changed to KMs and that they register the car with the Cdn distributor for recalls.

Far too easy... and I am sure it would be so unsafe that people would die in their thousands.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Spheric

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-12
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 09:34:31 pm »
Land Rover = another Saab story in the making...

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 11:51:35 pm »
For a total POS brand like Land Rover, this makes no sense.  LR Canada should be encouraging Canadians to import their garbage.  I'm sure almost every penny of profit at an LR dealer is service and repair.  The more LR's on the road, the better, regardless of where they were purchased.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2010, 12:55:48 am »
The government of Canada could change all this with the stroke of a pen... well an instruction to Transport Canada anyway... the sort of thing that was just done for WindMobile.

Any car imported into Canada that was legally sold new in the USA would be legal to import and register... pay any duty due, pay GST and get a provincial safety check. 
Recommend to the Cdn owner that the DRLs be enabled and the speedo/odo be changed to KMs and that they register the car with the Cdn distributor for recalls.

Far too easy... and I am sure it would be so unsafe that people would die in their thousands.

:iagree: There's no good reason I can think of that any car sold new in the USA is unsafe to be imported into Canada (although I'm a big fan of DRLs, so that can stay).

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2010, 08:42:28 pm »
If you're buying the car in the USA and bringing it to Canada, you get the letter of compliance from USA Honda.  Or did you friend buy in Canada and try to bring it over to the USA?

Late reply...oops!

He bought in the US and brought it into Canada.

He also got the letter from the selling dealer.

The whole experience he said was so smooth that it was easier than dealing with a dealer up here on a new car.

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2010, 08:52:16 pm »
Why would it not be legal
You want something, and this is how much they charge for it
Do not like, do not get it

I guess another way of looking at it....

If they can't handle the heat in the kitchen, get out...in other words, if they can't compete, they should just close shop instead of putting protectionist measures in place.

What they or anybody else is doing is theft pure and simple. They do so because they are pi$$ed that you are going elsewhere to buy the same car drastically cheaper. How dare we do that!!! We should just bend over and spread our cheeks for them.