Author Topic: Freight & PDI costs in Canada  (Read 53107 times)

dorin

Re: Freight & PDI costs in Canada
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2008, 12:44:48 pm »
Yes, that's obvious. my point was that you don't see other retailers advertising one price and then adding on a bunch of extra "fees" at point of sale.

You don't shop at Futureshop!

I certainly if sometimes regrettably do shop at Futureshop very often.  I certainly have never had any extra fees added.  What FS fees are you referring to?

Offline jcon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2008, 01:17:49 pm »
I was being facetious Dorin. In reference to all the accessories and warranties that they sell. It always seems like you go in for one thing and they add a whole bunch more stuff.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2008, 01:37:34 pm »
Yep....don't you love their pitch for cables...

And extended warranty on everything....I've taken to saying "Gee...if it's that likely to breakdown in the first 2 or 3 years maybe I'd better not buy one"
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2008, 11:53:20 am »
At the least, Future Shop's "extended" warranty (I know it's their biggest profit) provides people some level of convenience when invoked. i.e.  your stuff breaks, they fix it or replace it without needing to ship to manufacturer.  What does paying PDI do?  If it's same thing as PDI, shouldn't PDI be optional?

I hate the thought of/paying for PDI.,  Admin fees and outrageously ridiculous Freight charge. 

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2008, 12:00:24 pm »
Marineboy
Future president of marketing
Canadian Excuse Manufacturers Association CEMA ;)

thumbs up for excellent explanation.

I hope you get the job.   ;D

Offline 2latecrew

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2007 Nissan Sentra (AKA The Toaster)
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2008, 04:40:47 pm »
At the least, Future Shop's "extended" warranty (I know it's their biggest profit) provides people some level of convenience when invoked. i.e.  your stuff breaks, they fix it or replace it without needing to ship to manufacturer.  What does paying PDI do?  If it's same thing as PDI, shouldn't PDI be optional?

I hate the thought of/paying for PDI.,  Admin fees and outrageously ridiculous Freight charge. 

At least they WILL sell you things at FS without the extended warranty. They won't sell you a car without PDI and freight.

Why on earth should I pay for them to inspect the car before they give it to me. Don't you usually inspect any product shipped to you for damage and if its damaged refuse it or charge the shipping company. Don't new cars come with a warranty? Why should I pay to have the car inspected to see if there is something that should be fixed under warranty?

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-35
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2008, 12:48:26 pm »
Does anyone one know how much the cost to the dealer is for these items.  Either the dealer or the manufacturer is padding their profits with this.

No question about it.

I always get a laugh when the saleperson is speechless when asked following question...

If you are charging $800 for PDI and your shop rate is $80 per hour....what the hell do you do to a NEW car for 10 whole hours. Hell a clutch job on a FWD car is less than half that time!!!  :rofl2:

The fact is...practically nothing. Having worked in a few dealerships prepping cars, I know. Its almost all profit and the PDI cost are there to offset that discount you'll be asking for.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 12:51:29 pm by hcrv »
What you won't find in my car is a coffee, cigarette and a cell phone. What you will find is a driver; imagine that, a driver in a vehicle. What an effing concept!
A car has to do more than just perform; it has to stir your soul!
A true driver's car does not have cup holders.

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-35
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2008, 12:58:00 pm »
I hate the thought of/paying for PDI.

Just tack that charge onto your discount.

Admin fees...

Yeah, what are those up to now? Have they hit the $300 mark for your everyday car?

Have you asked what the office worker does processing your sale for 10 whole hours...assuming they make $30 per hour.  :rofl2:

Offline Lesley

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +22/-47
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 97 Dodge Dakota "The Mighty Dak", 92 Mazda MX3 KLZE, 92 Mazda 323 winter beater
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2014, 02:24:31 pm »
Let me double-check the freight and PDI figure, it was part of a pdf document but not available on their website.

I've heard the "Toyota Solara" comparison before  ;D
If I can't drive 'em... I'll draw 'em!

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2014, 03:06:38 pm »
Let me double-check the freight and PDI figure, it was part of a pdf document but not available on their website.

I've heard the "Toyota Solara" comparison before  ;D

Lesley,  could you do a story on how manufactures determine freight & PDI charges and make it a sticky  ;D

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2014, 05:37:13 pm »
I understand that MB freight/PDI charges are up to $3200 now.

::)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2014, 05:39:31 pm »
I understand that MB freight/PDI charges are up to $3200 now.

::)

Holy crap!!  Alabama isn't that far!!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Herbie

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 05 MINI Cooper S + 07 Sienna LE + 80 Rover SD1
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2014, 12:28:52 am »
Next time you purchase a car just ask for the vehicle on the showroom floor.  The cost of delivery and preparation should have been written off by the dealer as a advertising and marketing expense. Therefore they need not charge you.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2014, 07:00:11 am »
Next time you purchase a car just ask for the vehicle on the showroom floor.  The cost of delivery and preparation should have been written off by the dealer as a advertising and marketing expense. Therefore they need not charge you.
:laugh: :laugh: