Author Topic: Canadians getting screwed!  (Read 105576 times)

Offline duck

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +7/-157
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Scion xB
Canadians getting screwed!
« on: February 04, 2008, 12:20:37 am »
Lets see if I have this correct!

$44,316 ($51,620 CAN) fully-loaded Toyota Sienna XLE   >:( >:( >:(

$41,970 ($42,895 CAN) fully-loaded Chrysler Town & Country Limited   :) :)

$40,610 ($48,100 CAN) fully-loaded Honda Odyssey Touring    >:( >:( >:(

$40,235 ($30,495 CAN) fully-loaded Dodge Grand Caravan SXT    ??????

$40,115 ($46,998 CAN) fully-loaded  Nissan Quest 3.5 SE
   >:( >:( >:(

Therefore we are getting screwed by Honda, Toyota, and Nissan.    >:( >:( >:(  >:(

« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 12:30:26 am by duck »

Offline Baron von Raschke

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
Re: Canadians getting screwed!
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 01:03:41 am »
Yeah, still plenty of U.S.-Canadian pricing disparity out there.  Toyota has begun making a stride in the right direction with minor MSRP price reductions(although I really like the Camry and that model has no reductions.....must be immune to the strong Canuck buck :rofl:).  I think the car companies might be getting wise to the fact Canadians are looking for MSRP reductions and not just incentives.

saskwheatfarm

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 01:52:40 am »
Hi all,

Long time reader, first time poster...   Still have some big differences for some cars

Subaru Legacy Spec. B GT sedan - $45k CDN, $34k USD

Mazda RX8 - , $40,495 CDN (GT),  $31,705 USD (Grand Touring, 6spd)

i think toyota has set the bar now with the IS250 at 32k CDN, hopefully everything will adjust with that car as a reference point..  you can spec out accords, mazda6's, camrys that would cost more than the base is250 w/ auto..

Wolfe

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 02:09:23 am »
Hi all,

Long time reader, first time poster...   Still have some big differences for some cars

Subaru Legacy Spec. B GT sedan - $45k CDN, $34k USD

Mazda RX8 - , $40,495 CDN (GT),  $31,705 USD (Grand Touring, 6spd)

Welcome :hello:

Last fall in the US they had incentives on the RX-8 that brought the price down to about $27K (at the time the C$ was about 1.05+ to boot.) No warranty from Mazda Canada though.

saskwheatfarm

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 02:12:44 am »
i just realized that the base IS250 in the US, at 30.5k, has leather seats standard...

add the leather package onto the 31.9k Cdn price, and you get 35.2k Cdn vs 30.5k US

must be that 5k platnium windshield fluid tank   :rofl2:

seems like this deal is b/s, should have known better..

i think toyota has set the bar now with the IS250 at 32k CDN, hopefully everything will adjust with that car as a reference point..  you can spec out accords, mazda6's, camrys that would cost more than the base is250 w/ auto..

Offline Wetson

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +10/-3
  • Moi
    • View Profile
    • My real estate website
  • Cars: 2019 Acura TLX SH-AWD Elite, 2018 Audi S5 Cabriolet
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 07:38:23 am »
And Canadians are still continuing to buy vehicles at these outrages prices.  Typical... turn the other cheek and while at it bend over.  Sigh....

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 07:52:53 pm »
I have never got this whole argument. The USA is a frigging foreign country.    You may as well compare the price of cars in Australia  and feel grateful that we get cars more cheaply than they do.
The pricing of cars in the USA or anywhere else  is irrelevant to prices here
/rant
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008, 07:58:51 pm »
Honestly, we are still talking about this?  ::)

Canadians are getting screwed over with prices.

/Thread.

Offline RunsinLight

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-34
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford F150 XLT
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2008, 08:17:34 pm »
If you don't talk about it. Nothing will change.

Offline marineboy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +1/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2008, 09:10:26 pm »
If you look at the latest sales figures nothing is likely to change. Despite a small percentage of savvy consumers there appears to be a vast majority of sheep ripe for the shearing. There is no way to mobilize a large group of the buying public that will have any effect on the auto manufactures.
Right now I'm holding off on a new car purchase and will wait to see where we are when the dust settles in regards to both the Canadian and US economies.
As a pet peeve of mine I'm tired of the car manufactures saying that Canadians prefer to drive smaller cars than the US. Well this because our small cars cost the same as their midsize cars. That is why America has the Camry as the most purchased vehicle and we have the Civic. We are not spending any less just getting less... ::)

Offline JSCC

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2008, 11:49:06 pm »
If you look at the latest sales figures nothing is likely to change. Despite a small percentage of savvy consumers there appears to be a vast majority of sheep ripe for the shearing. There is no way to mobilize a large group of the buying public that will have any effect on the auto manufactures.
Right now I'm holding off on a new car purchase and will wait to see where we are when the dust settles in regards to both the Canadian and US economies.
As a pet peeve of mine I'm tired of the car manufactures saying that Canadians prefer to drive smaller cars than the US. Well this because our small cars cost the same as their midsize cars. That is why America has the Camry as the most purchased vehicle and we have the Civic. We are not spending any less just getting less... ::)

So your assumption is if Canadian pricing was on par with US pricing, Canadians would have a huge shift from compact to mid-size vehicles?
2011 MB C300 4Matic (Tenorite Grey)
2010 MB C300 4Matic (Iridium Silver)
2002 VW Jetta 1.8T GLS Sport Luxury Leather package

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2008, 11:54:18 pm »
So your assumption is if Canadian pricing was on par with US pricing, Canadians would have a huge shift from compact to mid-size vehicles?

I don't think it would be entirely surprising to see a shift. Maybe not a huge shift given that gas is still pricier up north and we generally have less disposable income (maybe?), but over time why wouldn't a sizable group start to move up the car food chain if the price is the same as they're used to paying? Canadian belt lines aren't all that much smaller than American ones.

(That was a clever pun I think.)
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline JSCC

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2008, 12:25:13 am »
So along with gas and vehicle prices, are Canadians paying more for electricity, food and water too  ???

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2008, 12:35:48 am »
So along with gas and vehicle prices, are Canadians paying more for electricity, food and water too  ???

What does this have to do with anything? All I'm saying is that if an Accord was priced like a Civic, and a Civic like a Fit, and a Fit like a Smart Car, then you'd see more Accords and fewer Civics. Is that so hard to believe?

Cortina

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2008, 02:13:09 am »

$40,235 ($30,495 CAN) fully-loaded Dodge Grand Caravan SXT    ??????

Thats 10 grand less, so who is getting screwed.   :think:

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2008, 04:32:37 am »
I don't believe that it's unreasonable to think that a fair percentage of small car buyers would move up the ladder if cost wasn't an issue.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline JSCC

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2008, 02:43:27 pm »

What does this have to do with anything? All I'm saying is that if an Accord was priced like a Civic, and a Civic like a Fit, and a Fit like a Smart Car, then you'd see more Accords and fewer Civics. Is that so hard to believe?

It has nothing to do with your post, I was just curious about other goods across the boarder.  :)

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2008, 03:16:08 pm »

It has nothing to do with your post, I was just curious about other goods across the boarder.  :)

Ah, sorry. I was stuck in pissing contest mode. :)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2008, 03:18:59 pm »

The last time I check some food in Maine, the prices appeared to be cheaper in Ontario, not counting booze
DO you have any electrical & water  prices for the States?

Cortina

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2008, 08:14:59 pm »
Can I just say one thing. We're in Canada, Not in America or part of America. Canada is a different and a separate country. You might as well compare things in Mexico. Its still in North America and prices are cheaper there too. :P