Author Topic: Canadian Subaru Dealers - Pound Sand  (Read 31398 times)

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
Re: Canadian Subaru Dealers - Pound Sand
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2008, 06:16:25 pm »
 Wotsa POUND OF SAND wurff these daze?????
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2008, 06:43:55 pm »
Wotsa POUND OF SAND wurff these daze?????

Depends if you're buying it in Canada or the US  ;D
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

JohnSocal

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2008, 05:07:44 am »
This doesn't sound logical to me. Why should the US dealers care what the Canadian dealers want? The typical US dealer moves a lot more volume than the Canadian dealers. They are only interested in their own sales and not concerned about the Canadian dealers complaints.
In SoCal maybe... but Subaru agents near the border having been doing brisk business from Canadians. They care.

I do not mean that the US dealers don't care about their Canadian customers. Obviously that is important to US dealers along the border. What I am questioning is why should the US dealers care what the Canadian Dealers want, not the customers. Of course, there would be a big problem if the Canadian dealers do not honor the warranties.

Offline jcon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2008, 10:13:11 am »
I do not mean that the US dealers don't care about their Canadian customers. Obviously that is important to US dealers along the border. What I am questioning is why should the US dealers care what the Canadian Dealers want, not the customers. Of course, there would be a big problem if the Canadian dealers do not honor the warranties.

I see. I misunderstood you.

The Canadian Subarus do not honour the warranty. Work done in Canada is paid by the customer, but is reimbursed by Subaru of America.

SOA gets its vehicles from the Subaru parent company, so in all likelihood, it was them who put pressure on SOA (with encouragement from Subaru of Canada.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 09:12:37 am by jcon »

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2008, 08:49:59 am »
Subaru found that their dealer agreement, unlike some others (HONDA, TOYOTA, YA :censor:) has no clause allowing Subaru to limit to whom the dealer sells cars.  So, they took away the financial bonus system for cars sold to Canadians and force Canadians to return to the US for warranty work.  They did everything they could within their power.

Offline jcon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2008, 09:13:37 am »
Subaru found that their dealer agreement, unlike some others (HONDA, TOYOTA, YA :censor:) has no clause allowing Subaru to limit to whom the dealer sells cars.  So, they took away the financial bonus system for cars sold to Canadians and force Canadians to return to the US for warranty work.  They did everything they could within their power.
Question though: Does that financial incentive come from Subaru itself or as a bonus from SOA?

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2008, 06:35:23 pm »
..where do i get a YA.:censor:   ?

novaman

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2008, 09:21:03 pm »
Ugh I wish Canadian Subaru Dealers would just pound sand and stop complaining about all the US dealers that offer a Canadian section on their websites.  I know of several US Subaru dealers that took down their Canadian section due to many complaints from the Canadian dealers.

Instead of the Canadian Subaru Dealers being a bully asking US dealers to take down the Canadian section of their webiste, they should be bullying the Subaru of Canada HQ for better pricing.

Why do people keep accusing the Canadian DEALERS of being a bully?

Dealers do not set the price THEY pay for cars. SOC does. I'm sure Canadian dealers would LOVE to get cars at the same price the US does and then be able to sell them at a much lower MSRP and make the same or greater profit (it would help their volumes). But they cannot. US dealers have been pressurered by Subaru of Amewrica who was likley pressured by Subaru corporate. Canadian dealers complained to SOC about the unfair pricing and lost sales. SOC goes to Subaru corporate. Subaru corporate says no way we are gving up the Canada cash cow. But Subaru Coprporate doesn't own SOA in the same way so they ask them to curtail their US dealers as best they can as a good corporate partner. SOA doesn't have anything in their contract to explicitly prvent dealers from selling for export so they "discourage them" by limiting incentives etc.

Targeting Canadian DEALERS as bullys is just plain wrong. The bully is Subaru corporate who's using Canada as a cash cow simply beause they can.
Subaru Canada gets away with it because they can. Canadians pay way too much for automobiles. It's like a life long friend of mine who sold cars for a Honday dealship here in Kingston, and I asked him how they could get away with such small discounts on selling prices? He said to me" because people will pay that much without hesitation". It's like someone said in another threat..if Canadians would quit buying new cars, the price would come down.

novaman

priggly

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2010, 12:26:43 am »
Subaru of Canada and the Canadian Subaru dealers are both incredibly greedy and unscrupulous, taking advantage of the passive Canadian buying public who are immune to being fleeced by these scoundrels.

If Canadians would cease to buy any Subarus at all until the price came down (and it would probably take all of three business days!) you'd see the Canadian dealers drop prices in a heartbeat!

As it is, Canadians are paying exorbitant prices for cars, especially now that the two currencies are more or less at par.  It's nothing short of highway robbery, no pun intended.

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-35
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2010, 10:22:24 am »

Because ultimately, they are the ones complaining to Subaru of Canada because some buyers are buying their cars and parts stateside.

They are all a bunch of whining SOB. If they can't handle the competition, they can just close shop for all I care.
What you won't find in my car is a coffee, cigarette and a cell phone. What you will find is a driver; imagine that, a driver in a vehicle. What an effing concept!
A car has to do more than just perform; it has to stir your soul!
A true driver's car does not have cup holders.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2010, 10:48:01 am »

Because ultimately, they are the ones complaining to Subaru of Canada because some buyers are buying their cars and parts stateside.

They are all a bunch of whining SOB. If they can't handle the competition, they can just close shop for all I care.

I think you're throwing rocks at the wrong people here hcrv. I doubt that the margins of Canadian Sub dealers are a whole lot different than their US counterparts. If anyone is at fault I'd say it's Subaru Canada and their wholesale pricing structure.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2010, 10:53:56 am »
He is always 'vocal' about saving money. People live or die, irrelevant.

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2010, 01:58:30 pm »
If anyone is at fault I'd say it's Subaru Canada and their wholesale pricing structure.

Exactly, them and a whole lot others.

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2010, 02:01:33 pm »
No need for people to whine. Import your car parts, save money, be happy.

I fixed that for you, and I'm more than happy.

Got three orders coming in this week.  ;D