Author Topic: Rental Car Accident - Insurance Premium?  (Read 771 times)

Offline the_real_dilbert

• Noob
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Elantra
Rental Car Accident - Insurance Premium?
« on: February 13, 2022, 02:08:37 am »
Hi,

I have never owned a car in Canada, nor have I had any auto insurance so far. I have been renting cars and relying on my Credit Card insurance. Recently, I met with a minor accident, and I was at-fault. The damage to my car is being paid by my CC insurance and the damage to the other car will be paid by Hertz's own third-party liability insurance.

I am now planning to buy a car, but when I inform insurance companies about my accident, my premium quote shoots up to 2x (from less than 300/mo to 500+). I am wondering whether I should disclose my accident to insurance companies at all? I am not sure if the accident will reflect on my driver's license (since it wasn’t my car, and I don’t have any insurance on my name either).

Does anyone know if this accident will be recorded in my driving history, and whether insurance companies will have access to it?

Thanks,
Dilbert

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
Re: Rental Car Accident - Insurance Premium?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2022, 08:10:38 am »
Don't disclose the accident whatever you do.  That's a disaster.  DL records only show convictions, not accidents.

Insurance companies share claims data with each other.  That's how they find out about an applicant's claim history.