Author Topic: fuel economy sites.  (Read 1311 times)

Offline hammerlock

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Rabbit
fuel economy sites.
« on: March 19, 2018, 03:13:50 pm »
Hi this my question, I’m thinking of a getting a newer car and want mileage to be party of that decision.  But what the real fuel numbers like?  If there a site that lists the real world fuel economy other than fuelly?

I’m interested in getting a used ( not older than 2015) VW Golf or maybe a Mazda6 or even a Camry Hybrid but much better is the fuel economy in the Camry?  With gas at 150L the hybrid will most likely win but any help will be awesome.

Thanks for advise. 

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-375
    • View Profile
Re: fuel economy sites.
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 06:18:16 pm »
Is there a site that lists the real world fuel economy other than fuelly?

Nope.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 06:30:52 pm »
don't forget to look at all the factors...while the fuel economy in the hybrid will be better, keep in mind how many kms you drive per year and what is the cost difference between the vehicles...for example, if you only drive 10,000 kms/year, and the Camry Hybrid is $8,000 more expensive, you'll likely never make that money back.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 06:34:34 pm »
I use Spritmonitor.de which is what's in my signature, but that's Germany-based so you're not going to find a Toyota Camry to compare.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 06:54:15 pm »
http://www.nrcan.gc.ca/energy/efficiency/transportation/cars-light-trucks/buying/7479
http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/fcr-rcf/public/index-e.cfm

A LOT depends on one's driving style and habits, as well as climate where a car is operated and the mix of city /highway use, although 401 traffic is more similar to city traffic than highway these days. Also if you drive there off-peak, FE at 100kph could be 10-20% or so different from doing the same at 120kph. Tire pressure, smoothness of acceleration and braking are another few factors.
So that's why I posted the links above.

fueleconomy.gov lets you customize your city/highway % as well as type in your gas price, although it can be glitchy so best to keep it to miles/ MPGs.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2018, 09:10:22 am »
don't forget to look at all the factors...while the fuel economy in the hybrid will be better, keep in mind how many kms you drive per year and what is the cost difference between the vehicles...for example, if you only drive 10,000 kms/year, and the Camry Hybrid is $8,000 more expensive, you'll likely never make that money back.

If that Camry hybrid spends most of the time in the city doing short trips, a gas Camry might do 12 L/100km in those conditions while the Camry hybrid will do 6 L/100km. That's a gas savings of $650 a year.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2018, 09:28:12 am »
http://www.nrcan.gc.ca/energy/efficiency/transportation/cars-light-trucks/buying/7479
http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/fcr-rcf/public/index-e.cfm

A LOT depends on one's driving style and habits, as well as climate where a car is operated and the mix of city /highway use, although 401 traffic is more similar to city traffic than highway these days. Also if you drive there off-peak, FE at 100kph could be 10-20% or so different from doing the same at 120kph. Tire pressure, smoothness of acceleration and braking are another few factors.
So that's why I posted the links above.

fueleconomy.gov lets you customize your city/highway % as well as type in your gas price, although it can be glitchy so best to keep it to miles/ MPGs.

I find fueleconomy.gov to be pretty accurate.  If I am trying to get the numbers on there, I make sure I am not going more than 10% faster than the posted speed limite for city or highway.  Don't usually have a problem.  IIRC, I hit 6.1L going 110km/h with the manual in the 6 on a 100km trip. 

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbsSelect

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2018, 09:52:16 am »

If that Camry hybrid spends most of the time in the city doing short trips, a gas Camry might do 12 L/100km in those conditions while the Camry hybrid will do 6 L/100km. That's a gas savings of $650 a year.
sure, which is why i said to look at all the factors...as well, using your example, spending $8000 more on the vehicle to save $650/year in fuel is an ROI of 12.3 years, which isn't very good.