Author Topic: Let the test drivings begin!  (Read 28397 times)

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
Re: Let the test drivings begin!
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2017, 07:48:24 am »
Sonata is good, but if you're looking to keep it long term, Japanese cars are the way to go. There are many, many 10+ year old Accords and Camrys out there, but you can hardly see Sonata from same years.
Sure, Accords and Camrys sold many more, but it's still disproportionately low.

If you're looking to lease, then Sonata is a good value.
to be fair, the year the Koreans really started to compete hard is around 2011-2012 and newer...that's when most of their vehicles were "new" designs (have been redesigned since then, of course)...if you look at their sales volumes too, you'll see a pretty strong sales increase from around that time.

I just quickly googled Kia and Hyundai USA annual sales (most recent data is 2016).

Kia: 294,302
Hyundai: 455,520
Toyota: 2,047,057

Kia: 647,598
Hyundai: 768,057
Toyota: 2,106,132

as you can see, while the volume is stil far off from Toyota, the growth is quite respectable...also, of course you will see a lot more (example) 10 year old Toyotas on the road, they sold 5-8 times as many cars as Kia or Hyundai did...but a 10 year old Toyota is likely a better car than a 10 year old Kia or Hyundai...however, if comparing new cars, they are likely pretty close.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2017, 04:50:46 pm »
Sonata is good, but if you're looking to keep it long term, Japanese cars are the way to go. There are many, many 10+ year old Accords and Camrys out there, but you can hardly see Sonata from same years.
Sure, Accords and Camrys sold many more, but it's still disproportionately low.

If you're looking to lease, then Sonata is a good value.
to be fair, the year the Koreans really started to compete hard is around 2011-2012 and newer...that's when most of their vehicles were "new" designs (have been redesigned since then, of course)...if you look at their sales volumes too, you'll see a pretty strong sales increase from around that time.

I just quickly googled Kia and Hyundai USA annual sales (most recent data is 2016).

Kia: 294,302
Hyundai: 455,520
Toyota: 2,047,057

Kia: 647,598
Hyundai: 768,057
Toyota: 2,106,132

as you can see, while the volume is stil far off from Toyota, the growth is quite respectable...also, of course you will see a lot more (example) 10 year old Toyotas on the road, they sold 5-8 times as many cars as Kia or Hyundai did...but a 10 year old Toyota is likely a better car than a 10 year old Kia or Hyundai...however, if comparing new cars, they are likely pretty close.
Yes, higher volume sold for Toyota and Honda is a big factor in number of 10 year old cars on the road.
Sure, Hyundai and KIA have been improving over the last decade, but we don't know long term reliability because Korean brands don't have the history of being reliable cars, yet.
Being a Korean, I want them to do well, but when I hear about things they do sometimes, I keep going for Japanese cars.
They treat their domestic customers very differently, and although not technically proven, the build quality and material are said the be different from domestic vs. export vehicles.
One example is their current model Santa Fe had a widespread leak in the hatch, but they refused to cover it under warranty. So they earned a nickname 'Soota Fe'. 'Soo' in Korean means 'water'.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2017, 09:08:38 pm »
You say your wife is 5' 5", and the back seat of the Golf wagon is tight?  Your kids are 5 and 2.  It's not like they are in rear facing baby seats.  Even down the road, do you think you think when the oldest is 13, he/she will be 6' ?

The Accord is on the list, but CVT is a concern.  So why not try a Mazda6, naturally aspirated 4 cylinder, and six speed auto.  I suspect the turbo next year will go outside your budget.  But they are reliable, and get mid 6's on the highway. 

Online sszoomzoom

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +24/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX5 Signature - Soul Red Crystal Metallic
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2017, 09:14:36 pm »
You say your wife is 5' 5", and the back seat of the Golf wagon is tight?  Your kids are 5 and 2.  It's not like they are in rear facing baby seats.  Even down the road, do you think you think when the oldest is 13, he/she will be 6' ?

The Accord is on the list, but CVT is a concern.  So why not try a Mazda6, naturally aspirated 4 cylinder, and six speed auto.  I suspect the turbo next year will go outside your budget.  But they are reliable, and get mid 6's on the highway.
I’ll vote for the Mazda 6 and here our local dealer offers 2500 off if you finance.

ltruong

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2017, 10:56:42 am »

My youngest is still rear facing but just for couple months.  She very small for her age.  But yes the sport-wagon is a bit tight in the back.  I know it's livable but still considering midsize sedan or suv.  Mazda will be the next test drives.  CX5 GT and Maybe a 6 GT.

I drove a camry Hybrid last summer and it was ok but the inside is pretty bland.  Plus they are are pretty expensive for the what you get in tech. I know you pay for reliability and MPG.  The accord could be a good deal, sometime I think a V6 touring would be nice, their MPG on the highway is not too bad but with my heavy foot there no way i keep this thing under 10L/km!

I'm trying to stay away from CVTs and stay in more traditional powertrains.   Like the Hyundai 2.4 6 speed(Post 2014 issues), Mazda 2.4L...etc.    In the new low boost turbo engine they scare em a bit... like the Ecoboost 1.6(escape), VW TSI, hyunday 1.6DCT. The new Civic I would probably stay away as it is a new powertrain.  I'll still test drive them,  just have to research about their reliability a bit more. 

Offline Travel360

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +5/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2017, 12:57:47 pm »
A 3year old CPO Lexus es350 is sweet ! Especially the ones with ML sound . But android / apple play might be missing ! If driver is 5'5" only , even 6' rear passengers will be happy in cross country rides!

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2017, 01:18:35 pm »
A 3year old CPO Lexus es350 is sweet !
Sure is, but doesn't answer the OP's criteria...

So the top criteria are.  Fuel economy, Reliability, Maintenance cost, interior comfort/space/tech(Apple carplay). ....and FUN.  Now I do drive the car quite a bit too.  I Use it for my hockey games and the gym so I Kind of want the right balance between a nice fuel efficient car for my wife and also fun to drive for me.  We will probably get around $20k for the VW so the plan would be to get a newer car for the same value preferably higher trim
Fuel economy out of the 3.5L V6 is good, but it's not VW TDI good.

...but the bigger violation is the request for "FUN"  ;)

ltruong

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2017, 04:24:49 pm »
Well Well!! The neighbor just rolled in with a brand new Land Rover Discovery.  I don't think We'll win the parade.  That thing is NICE! :o

I like Lexus but i don't know much about them and they are expensive.  We'll test drive some used one for usre though.  I know some of them are rgular gas and others premium.  Looks like the IS is too small so  ES might be the only choice,  maybe a used hybrid or 350.  looks like they also have cooling seats, heated steering wheel and double sunroof.. Nice!

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/red-deer/2014-lexus-es-350-technology-package-fully-loaded-clean/1317883477?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

ltruong

« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2017, 05:06:07 pm »

[/quote]
Fuel economy out of the 3.5L V6 is good, but it's not VW TDI good.

...but the bigger violation is the request for "FUN"  ;)
[/quote]

Yyyyeah I might have to give most of the fun factor for comfort.  Let the wife have it and i'll just show up with a motorcycle one day.  that might be better

Offline Travel360

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +5/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2017, 05:37:15 pm »
My expectations are low. I'm happy with a good set of new  tires! Maybe I'll be grinning with racing tires on an ES ?

ltruong

« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2018, 10:12:16 am »
What would you by if the budget would be only 10G$   12g$..?   car or suv/cuv

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2018, 10:17:35 am »
Ford Ranger, Jeep TJ or import something cool and JDM like an EVO or Silvia

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2018, 10:19:48 am »
3 series, A4, IS350 (harder to find)... all can be found for $10 - $12k
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2018, 10:50:24 am »

Kind of funny that you ask.  When we move in 6 months.  Eventually we will want to replace the gas guzzling Hyundai Entourage, as my wife will need to commute 80km.  Has to be automatic.  That is the kind of budget we want to work with.  Not in a big hurry.  And will watch for family/friends/clients replacing their vehicles, and if a good deal comes along....

Don't need any fancy stuff, if it has fine, but not looking for it.  Must average at least 7.5L/100km highway.  Automatic transmission.  Non turbo. 

Some of the better values are with midsize sedans.   Something like a Malibu, Fusion, Passat (especially tdi), TSX would be nice as well.

Something like this is over budget, but will keep watching.  They are the same price of a Golf, and I would rather have the Passat. 

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/volkswagen/passat/brampton/ontario/5_35868345_on20070723112006041/?showcpo=ShowCpo&ursrc=hl&orup=14_15_89&pc=L7M%203W9&sprx=250

Not looking into the Korean brands.  Like the Honda Fit, too much on the used market.  And yes Rocket, a Lexus is reliable, not many to choose that get 7.5L/100km (highway), and  For under $12k.   Even something like an 2008 Lexus IS250 barely meets that criteria.  Better deal is the ES350, but fuel economy takes a hit, but for the right price...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2018, 11:56:26 am »
$8gs for ES 350
https://ca.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-Lexus-ES-350-d917?sourceContext=facebook&utm_campaign=remarket&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=facebook#listing=189193794

Some damage on the rear bumper.

So that's the thing, why sell the van?  Not enough of a reason to sell the van, and get this instead. 

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2018, 03:46:09 pm »

Kind of funny that you ask.  When we move in 6 months.  Eventually we will want to replace the gas guzzling Hyundai Entourage, as my wife will need to commute 80km.  Has to be automatic.  That is the kind of budget we want to work with.  Not in a big hurry.  And will watch for family/friends/clients replacing their vehicles, and if a good deal comes along....

Don't need any fancy stuff, if it has fine, but not looking for it.  Must average at least 7.5L/100km highway.  Automatic transmission.  Non turbo. 

Some of the better values are with midsize sedans.   Something like a Malibu, Fusion, Passat (especially tdi), TSX would be nice as well.

Something like this is over budget, but will keep watching.  They are the same price of a Golf, and I would rather have the Passat. 

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/volkswagen/passat/brampton/ontario/5_35868345_on20070723112006041/?showcpo=ShowCpo&ursrc=hl&orup=14_15_89&pc=L7M%203W9&sprx=250

Not looking into the Korean brands.  Like the Honda Fit, too much on the used market.  And yes Rocket, a Lexus is reliable, not many to choose that get 7.5L/100km (highway), and  For under $12k.   Even something like an 2008 Lexus IS250 barely meets that criteria.  Better deal is the ES350, but fuel economy takes a hit, but for the right price...

Should have kept the mazda 6 and taught her how to drive it.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2018, 03:56:03 pm »

Should have kept the mazda 6 and taught her how to drive it.

She knows how to drive it very well. 

When I decided to get manual with this Mazda6, it was supposed to be mostly my car.  And she was going to use the van to commute 25 km round trip to work. 

But as things happen with us (quite often), the scenario changes.  I became very busy with my landscaping business.  I rarely used the car, and needed the van more.  So she drove the car to work, and I used the van.  A year later I was getting even more busy.  So I leased the Dodge Grand Caravan CVP, and tow an enclosed trailer with it.  This is what I use for work.  And she kept using the car.  Then the 2nd van wasn't really being used... Plus in a few months we move, and her commute will be 80km round trip.

So we got rid of the car that was the least useful to us.  And since she is the one commuting further, if she wants auto, she gets auto...

ltruong

« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2018, 05:24:41 pm »
I like the idea of a older es350. Harder to find in Alberta but doable .  What about suvs?

Is a ES the equivalent of a Camry in size?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 05:33:34 pm by wongpong »

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2018, 05:38:55 pm »
I like the idea of a older es350. Harder to find in Alberta but doable .  What about suvs?

Is a ES the equivalent of a Camry in size?

I would say so.  Too bad hard to find in AB.  If I had to to choose an SUV under 20k (non  towing), used Lexus RX350. Under 30k (non towing), Mazda CX-5.  If I needed something that could tow 3500lbs or so.  Toyota Highlander, GMC Yukon/Chevy Tahoe