Author Topic: Kia's Stinger Sports sedan  (Read 142777 times)

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +85/-815
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Mazda CX-30 GS FWD - Snowflake white
Re: Kia's Stinger Sports sedan
« Reply #160 on: May 25, 2017, 03:32:22 pm »
May 23rd was the official launch for sale of the Stinger in South Korea

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #161 on: May 25, 2017, 03:50:11 pm »
I am very excited for this car  8)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 25, 2017, 05:07:27 pm »

I heard the exhaust note.  It's kinda sad given the mission of this car.

YMMV.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #163 on: May 25, 2017, 05:17:22 pm »

YMMV.

Duly noted, though exhaust notes don't do much for me in the first place.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 25, 2017, 05:22:01 pm »

YMMV.

Oh...I like a nice exhaust note in sporty cars.  It really adds to the experience and enjoyment IMO.  And a soft one takes away from that.  It's why I had to put a proper one on my 911.

For example, imagine driving the new Alfa Giulia with a mousey exhaust?  Would take away from the experience IMO.

YMMV.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: May 25, 2017, 05:46:22 pm »

Oh...I like a nice exhaust note in sporty cars.  It really adds to the experience and enjoyment IMO.  And a soft one takes away from that.  It's why I had to put a proper one on my 911.

For example, imagine driving the new Alfa Giulia with a mousey exhaust?  Would take away from the experience IMO.

YMMV.

Yeah, I think I'm a weirdo in this way - I prefer quieter exhaust notes, drawing minimal attention. There are a few exceptions, like a Porsche flat-6 or exotic V12's or V10's, which all sound great. And I do like to hear something in the cabin, so I know what the motor's doing, but beyond that, I prefer relative quiet.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 25, 2017, 05:48:27 pm »

YMMV.

Yeah, I think I'm a weirdo in this way - I prefer quieter exhaust notes, drawing minimal attention. There are a few exceptions, like a Porsche flat-6 or exotic V12's or V10's, which all sound great. And I do like to hear something in the cabin, so I know what the motor's doing, but beyond that, I prefer relative quiet.

If you're driving a flashy sports sedan...I'm pretty sure you might draw more than minimal attention.   ;D

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 25, 2017, 05:55:31 pm »

If you're driving a flashy sports sedan...I'm pretty sure you might draw more than minimal attention.   ;D

Good point! But at least it wouldn't be an assault on *all* the senses ;)

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12352
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #168 on: May 25, 2017, 06:34:22 pm »

YMMV.

I'm weird that way too.  Loud gets old fast with me.

That said, I actually found the V8 Genesis TOO quiet.  :-[  I would have liked to have heard a bit more engine note.  But a barking, blaring exhaust note is not something I could go for in a daily driver.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 06:36:57 pm by Jaeger »
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 25, 2017, 07:11:16 pm »

I'm weird that way too.  Loud gets old fast with me.

That said, I actually found the V8 Genesis TOO quiet.  :-[  I would have liked to have heard a bit more engine note.  But a barking, blaring exhaust note is not something I could go for in a daily driver.

I hear ya. Good to have a balance - enough to hear the noise, not too much that it's obnoxious

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #170 on: May 26, 2017, 12:34:44 am »
Mustang, Camaro, any Ferrari, etc,  make some noise. It's part of the experience. Pretty much anything else, quiet please.  ;D
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 26, 2017, 01:08:28 am »
Mustang, Camaro, any Ferrari, etc,  make some noise. It's part of the experience. Pretty much anything else, quiet please.  ;D

Nah...you need some noise in a sports sedan...especially one that people think looks so sporty!

Offline SKYMTL

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +30/-77
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 BMW 440i, 2014 Mazda 3 GT Sport
« Reply #172 on: May 26, 2017, 08:05:12 am »

Case and point:  Fusion Sport.  ZERO exterior exhaust note.....and fake engine noises pumped through the speakers. 

I'm happy this thread came up again since I was just talking about the Stinger in a "Name That Ugly Car" conversation I had the other day. 

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #173 on: May 26, 2017, 09:21:22 am »

YMMV.

YMMV.

This is precisely why the cars now pipe in artificial noises. People want to hear the car but modern cars are so quiet and isolated from the elements.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 26, 2017, 09:29:01 am »

Nah...you need some noise in a sports sedan...especially one that people think looks so sporty!

Only if you look like Guy Fieri.

Offline SKYMTL

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +30/-77
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 BMW 440i, 2014 Mazda 3 GT Sport
« Reply #175 on: May 26, 2017, 09:33:33 am »

YMMV.

YMMV.

This is precisely why the cars now pipe in artificial noises. People want to hear the car but modern cars are so quiet and isolated from the elements.

Yes and no.  I would say a lot of this fake noise push has come from the move to smaller displacement 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder turbo engines. 

By and large those things sound terrible, regardless of the amount of ridiculous burping, farting, pops, backfires and other general nonsense manufacturers are engineering into the exhaust notes.  Hence why the cabin experience is being enhanced with false sounds. 

I mean just listen to this:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWM9WyuGW0M 

The move to small displacement turbos has caused folks to be brainwashed into thinking that sounds "good". 

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #176 on: May 26, 2017, 09:35:29 am »

Case and point:  Fusion Sport.  ZERO exterior exhaust note.....and fake engine noises pumped through the speakers. 

I'm happy this thread came up again since I was just talking about the Stinger in a "Name That Ugly Car" conversation I had the other day.

sad to say, i saw the stinger on korean tv show yesterday, in motion, and it didn't really look fetching.
it doesn't look svelte and substantial like bmw 6 series,
it doesn't look smooth and clean like audis

at a glance it looks like fisker karma in profile, not a compliment,

it looks more like caricature of 'sports sedan' from ..say pontiac.  but then i know holden used to make decent looking rwd...

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #177 on: May 26, 2017, 09:37:12 am »

sad to say, i saw the stinger on korean tv show yesterday, in motion, and it didn't really look fetching.
it doesn't look svelte and substantial like bmw 6 series,
it doesn't look smooth and clean like audis

at a glance it looks like fisker karma in profile, not a compliment,

it looks more like caricature of 'sports sedan' from ..say pontiac.  but then i know holden used to make decent looking rwd...

Yeah, that sounds bad.

I want cars to sound like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdEW2qjtV0w

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #178 on: May 26, 2017, 09:45:05 am »
Save the V8s!!!

Fake engine noises are a sign of the apocalypse.  I don't care how anyone justifies this as some sort of means to an end, it's ridiculous.   

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 26, 2017, 09:46:17 am »

I want a car that sounds like this:

https://youtu.be/e2e0LTQnniY?t=5