Author Topic: caliper pins are different?  (Read 900 times)

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-434
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
caliper pins are different?
« on: April 20, 2017, 10:12:55 am »
I am chasing down the run out issue on my rotors. Last night I pulled both caliper pins without looking at them. I forgot they were different and didn't note which one came from where. My official service manual in all its 4000 page glory makes no mention of this. Any ideas of which pin goes upper and which lower? I would just reference the other side but that assumes I replaced them in the right order last time!

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
Re: caliper pins are different?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 09:00:36 pm »
I am chasing down the run out issue on my rotors. Last night I pulled both caliper pins without looking at them. I forgot they were different and didn't note which one came from where. My official service manual in all its 4000 page glory makes no mention of this. Any ideas of which pin goes upper and which lower? I would just reference the other side but that assumes I replaced them in the right order last time!

Changed the pads on my honda last night . Pulled the pins to lube them . On my car the pin with the  rubber was on the bottom.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline craigq

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-9
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 17FozXT, 18MiragePOS
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 09:40:51 pm »
This is for a Freelander, but on that it's also the bottom pin with the rubber bushing
https://www.landyzone.co.uk/land-rover/fornt-brake-lower-guide-pin-stuck.191397/

Edit: NVM, I see you figured it out  ;) http://www.landroverworld.org/threads/front-caliper-pin-question.29152/#post-175261

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-434
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 06:37:04 pm »
Yes, thanks for the response. The Land Rover service manual showed the same style pin (non bushing) in both locations but the notes below referenced putting the bushing pin in the bottom location.

Hopefully my brake job works. I had 0.001 lateral run out on the disc before I put the caliper on. If these discs warp (or begin to have thickness variability) I will be at my wits end. The bushing pins are a little more sticky than the regular pin so I hop the source of my problems are not the bushing pin.