Author Topic: Test Drive: 2012 Scion iQ  (Read 8434 times)

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-31
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2012 Scion iQ
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2012, 12:03:47 am »
If you don't like the iQ, just wait for the Aston Martin Cygnet: http://www.astonmartin.com/en/cars/cygnet/brochure

Lol.  What are they thinking over there at Aston??!!?

As I understand it, that decision was dictated by Aston's need (or want?) to bring down its corporate fuel economy numbers. But I agree, it's a weird choice of car to stick an A-M badge on.
I used to work here.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2012, 12:11:41 am »
That Aston is awesome!

Offline G0dspd

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
  • Vroum Vroum
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2012, 01:33:18 am »
If you don't like the iQ, just wait for the Aston Martin Cygnet: http://www.astonmartin.com/en/cars/cygnet/brochure
Lol.  What are they thinking over there at Aston??!!?
As I understand it, that decision was dictated by Aston's need (or want?) to bring down its corporate fuel economy numbers. But I agree, it's a weird choice of car to stick an A-M badge on.

I was under the impression that  the Cygnet was designed exclusively for existing owners who wanted a small car to run around town with. 

"Sales will not be restricted; however, it is expected that demand from existing Aston Martin owners for Cygnet would initially take priority. Aston CEO Ulrich Bez recently announced shipping expectations of about 4000 per year at a price of about £30,000 about three times as much as the iQ."

Someone buys a fancy $40 000+ Toyota iQ just to tell people they drive an Aston Martin.  ???
"Can we make this quick? I have to give a banana to Annie's Boobs."

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2012, 06:32:23 am »
"I guess not living in Tokyo/Paris/Los Angeles/Mexico City, the thought of a stritcly "city car" to me sounds like a ridiculous idea."

If you have to elbow your way around any large city in North America the IQ can make sense.   There have to be at least 15 urban cores which have the congestion typical of European cities.

Spend 2 hours a day in urban traffic before you say no.

Cheers,
John M.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2012, 07:51:16 am »
..IQ intelligence non quota= sub 24......cubic feet.......of "space" fer stuff....city folk love STUFF...they have closets...basement storage rooms...tons and tons of storage depots..and it's ONLY CLAIM TO FAME it can turn on a dime.....as a billionaire said wot the fack is a dime????..this thing loses on all categories except BLOODY MINDEDNESS for more ECO CRAP..........that aint so eco..........OFF WITH IT's HEAD...hey not  a bad idea  can opener the top and use it for Summer Lifeguards beach buggies..... :stick: :think: :shuffle: :light: :banana: :banana: :banana:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2012, 07:54:40 am »
"I guess not living in Tokyo/Paris/Los Angeles/Mexico City, the thought of a stritcly "city car" to me sounds like a ridiculous idea."

If you have to elbow your way around any large city in North America the IQ can make sense.   There have to be at least 15 urban cores which have the congestion typical of European cities.

Spend 2 hours a day in urban traffic before you say no.

Cheers,
John M.
Being stuck in traffic doesnt mean you need this ridiculously overpriced clown car, even parking, is a Fiesta/Mazda 2/Fit/Mini Cooper that much bigger?!?!?!? I dont care where I am.....IQ, not in my garage.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline blork

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: TL
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2012, 08:57:26 am »
There seems to be the idea from manufacturers that these micro-cars can be overpriced because they're a fashion statement.

As other posters have noted, this car offers nothing for the price over only slightly larger competition, apart from less power, less practicality, and likely compromised safety.

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2012, 12:14:00 pm »
There seems to be the idea from manufacturers that these micro-cars can be overpriced because they're a fashion statement.

As other posters have noted, this car offers nothing for the price over only slightly larger competition, apart from less power, less practicality, and likely compromised safety.

This type of car is absolutely a marketing exercise. It plays on the current appeal for urban living, for those who don't always *need* a car, but want one around for the times when they do. A car sharing membership would probably be a better value, if you don't plan to use a car for regular road trips.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2012, 01:03:47 pm »
I'm very much of the opinion that the advantages of cars like this and the Smart just aren't worth the trade-offs compared with similarly-priced compacts. The iQ might get marginally better mileage than a Fiesta or Fit, but in return it can't carry much cargo, only really seats 2, and personally, I don't think I'd be comfortable with on a long highway commute.

It's not like the compacts it's priced against are big, but they manage to bring substantial advantage over the iQ to the point I don't see why you'd buy the latter, unless your goal is to make a statement.

But, to each their own. I'm not going to judge someone for buying one of these... I just personally wouldn't do it. :)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2012, 01:09:35 pm »
I drove a 1976 Honda Civic across Canada, and done a lap of North America on a motorcycle.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2012, 04:45:25 pm »
So a lot of people do buy their cars by the pound! Who knew?

And all this talk about seating capacity and trunk space is fine if you actually do use it. I mean when I look at all the traffic during rush hour all I see are cars with 4-5 people in them and trunks full to the brim with their trunk lids held down only with bungie cords. I mean obviously people only have one car right? So this has to be able to do everything all the time. ::)

The diesel smart car sold pretty well in spite of its glaring inadequacies. This will probably do ok too. And it's not particularly expensive for the equipment it has. With power windows, locks, automatic transmission, a pretty good stereo and AC, it's got the same equipment (except for cruise) as the Kia Rio LX+ which is $16595, for example.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 04:55:10 pm by Sir Osis of Liver »
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2012, 09:03:44 pm »
We'll let people judge with their wallets. The Fiat is pretty similar in size and it's managed to do well.

I'm still in the opinion that this is the meanest looking micro car around, and has some awesome mod potential.

Offline Minnie12

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hyundai Veloster
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2012, 11:49:00 pm »
We'll let people judge with their wallets. The Fiat is pretty similar in size and it's managed to do well.

I'm still in the opinion that this is the meanest looking micro car around, and has some awesome mod potential.

I love really small cars - so much fun to drive even slowly!

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2012, 12:47:32 pm »

I love really small cars - so much fun to drive even slowly!

It's a lot more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slowly!

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2012, 01:06:42 pm »
 ??? will i fly into space if i drive a medium car medially.............retire that olde saying please.............or grade on a curve    with points for apex nailing......... ;D

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2012, 09:45:42 pm »
.............retire that olde saying please.............

No.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2012, 09:54:08 pm »
okay.....keep repeating it....keep repeating it...keep repeating it...keep repeating it..AD.......AD...AD...AD...NAUSEUM...until ya THINK of something better..better  better  better............. ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? :light: :light: :light: :light: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

Offline USAFANG67

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2012, 06:31:00 pm »
IQ........one for each foot :-)
I like manual transmissions better than automatics because I like to drive rather than be driven.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2012, 06:57:38 am »
It is getting very tiring about , as  Sir O  puts it buying by the pound ( or kg)

A lot of small cars have more room inside them then larger cars

Offline libraman

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +1/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2012, 11:39:10 am »
Ouch. Consumer Reoprts really does not like this car. Like many of us here they recommend the alternatives like the Fit and 2.  I think it scored in the 20s out of 100.