Author Topic: First Drive: 2015 Toyota Prius PHEV  (Read 10456 times)

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
Re: First Drive: 2015 Toyota Prius PHEV
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2014, 08:36:11 pm »
The only thing I didn't like about the interior was the instrument cluster in the centre of the dash.

Compared to the Volt, the Prius has more interior noise and the handling isn't nearly as well sorted, but it has more room.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline GearDrivenCam

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Civic Si Sedan
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2014, 09:31:06 pm »
I agree with most of what Brendan says but I think he is being too hard on the lack of driving pleasure and too light on the fuel efficiency achievement.

The Prius handles twisties and a tight undulating road course amazingly well.  It is slightly ponderous around town and slightly strained on a continuous uphill but for people buying this car it is a near luxury, just fine handling and super efficient vehicle.

2.5 to 3.0 is a spectacular fuel efficiency range to play in and that is what Prius drivers do.   The challenge is to drive intelligently enough to drive down the numbers and be comfortable while doing it.  Paying less for gas and visiting the mechanic less often are two benefits for the long range thinker.

Those still obsessed with 0 to 100 numbers won't get this equation.

Cheers,
John M.

First time post.  Long time lurker.  I have to agree with John here.  Even though I'm not a great fan of the Prius, I think the review was a bit too harsh and the focus appeared to stray too far away from the intended purpose of this vehicle.  Then again, the Prius is an easy target for criticism - as there seems to be a certain "cool" factor associated with "dissing" it in automotive circles. Then again - I'm sure I could easily write a critical review of a 2015 Silverado, Ram, or F150 pickup that focuses mostly on how these vehicles achieve such relatively poor fuel economy, handling, and ride quality while sprinkling in a dash of sarcastic wit to boot.  Yet doing so would miss the point of why many people buy these vehicles in the first place.  As a bit of an aside, I thought it funny that C. Reports targeted the Honda Accord Hybrid this summer for not living up to its EPA combined fuel economy rating, yet a quick inspection of their site data showed that at least one domestic pickup truck did even worse (as a percentage of its advertised combined EPA rating) and it somehow came through unscathed.

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +313/-518
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2014, 02:06:12 pm »
One of my main complaints against the Prius has to do with the long dash/hood line which makes me uncomfortable driving it.   I've been in the previous two generations (rentals) and found then wanting in terms of driver visibility and comfort/usability.

As for the efficiency, quite good.

Though, I find it absolutely maddening that you can't drive faster than a slow crawl in a parking garage on pure electricity, and then the relatively noisy gas engine kicks in.

So the Volt or any pure EV like my Smart ED wins hands down for the fun to drive and quiet quick ride perspective.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2014, 02:36:18 pm »
One of my main complaints against the Prius has to do with the long dash/hood line which makes me uncomfortable driving it.   I've been in the previous two generations (rentals) and found then wanting in terms of driver visibility and comfort/usabinnlity.

As for the efficiency, quite good.

Though, I find it absolutely maddening that you can't drive faster than a slow crawl in a parking garage on pure electricity, and then the relatively noisy gas engine kicks in.

So the Volt or any pure EV like my Smart ED wins hands down for the fun to drive and quiet quick ride perspective.
They are easy to drive , no problems with visibility if you know how to drive  :rofl2:

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2014, 03:30:47 pm »
The Prius has very little compromise.  Get in, push a gas pedal, and drive.  Lots of interior space, great fuel economy, and no range anxiety.  So it doesn't give you the ability to 'never' use gas like the Volt, etc., but that's not its intended purpose.  Great real-world fuel economy is, and on that basis, it delivers.

The Smart EV has range anxiety
The Volt is pure electric, but a small-ish gas tank for extended drives, and uses more fuel than the Prius on extended drives

etc.

...but its hard plastic interior is outdated and unbecoming of a nearly $40k vehicle (less discounts ;D)

Northernridge

« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2014, 04:15:01 pm »
I actually would like a Prius as a third, no, fifth car...just the normal hybrid one. I'd feel super thrifty. Seriously, it would be my urban grocery getter/errand runner.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2014, 05:28:53 pm »
I actually would like a Prius as a third, no, fifth car...just the normal hybrid one. I'd feel super thrifty. Seriously, it would be my urban grocery getter/errand runner.

I'd want a Prius C for that. If I realized how much the fuel economy on the focus would bother me (It's not terrible but can get to 9.0 l/100 km in 100% city driving in the winter!!) I may have gone another route.

If I wasn't such a manual transmission fan, I'd probably own only hybrids.

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2014, 05:43:04 pm »
Driving 100% in the city with a manual!  I think you have moved past fan to fanatic.

If you like throttle control, try an EV.  If you are in the city 100% this is a no-brainer.

Cheers,
John M.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2014, 05:47:18 pm »
haha well in Fredericton the traffic isn't awful but I don't mind it too much.

My dad's car is a manual he bought here (he didn't care too much either way so saved the $1000), and now he lives in Mississauga... he doesn't like that as much  ;D

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2014, 06:37:19 am »
I guess it would be easy in Fredericton but how do you do 100% city?   Where I am, manual is fine since by the time you get into 3rd gear from the stoplight, you are out of town.

The visibility in the Prius is not wonderful but you can get used to it.  Any aerodynamic car now is pretty compromised in that regard.  Frankly, I would sacrifice all of the cameras and warning systems for good sightlines.  I take off the passengers headrest and put down the rear seats and that helps a lot.

Speaking of warning systems, I've "understeered" through a few corners recently (no traffic around) and the anti-skid warning beeper on the Prius comes on about 3/4 of a second late.   If you don't know you are in a slide by the time the beeper goes off, you shouldn't be driving.

The warning is so late, they may as well have put a voice alert in the things saying "You Have Just Hit Another Car".   Vital information that drivers over 90 need to know.

Cheers,
John M.

Offline stargazer68

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2014, 12:16:09 am »
Too many auto journalists have convinced members of the general public to join their Dash-Strokers club.

Clearly every hard surface must be covered with a layer of crappy vinyl or foam crap that will peel and look terrible in 6 years.  Oh wait, no one keeps a car that long anymore...

Funny, not that many years ago, dash padding was an option.  Painted (or chromed) steel was everywhere, including sections of the door interiors.
Ford, in 1956, offered a dished steering wheel, seat belts and a padded dash, all for safety.  At that time, the public apparently equated safety equipment with a dangerous car - and GM was more than happy to encourage thatfeeling, as long as it meant Chevs stealing sales from Ford.  How times change.

Northernridge

« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2014, 12:19:05 am »
The interior of the Honda Ridgeline was made before soft touch surfaces were invented. It's no worse off for it though.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1252/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2014, 12:21:34 am »
The interior of the Honda Ridgeline was made before soft touch surfaces were invented. It's no worse off for it though.

Come on..that's not true.  My 1998 GS400 is soft touch and most of my 1994 Supra was soft touch.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2014, 12:25:30 am »

Come on..that's not true.  My 1998 GS400 is soft touch and most of my 1994 Supra was soft touch.

Agreed. My dad's old 96' Camry LE had better quality soft touch materials than many vehicles today.

Northernridge

« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2014, 12:27:35 am »

Well then no one told the Honda guys. I swear the dash, doors, console, centre stack are all rock hard. Zero wear after five years though.

The Ridgeline is my vote for the best vehicle without soft touch interior surfaces.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1252/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2014, 12:35:24 am »

Well then no one told the Honda guys. I swear the dash, doors, console, centre stack are all rock hard. Zero wear after five years though.

The Ridgeline is my vote for the best vehicle without soft touch interior surfaces.

Definitely a good truck...no arguments there!!  It's the truck I'd own if I needed one I think.

As far as mu Supra goes...I think it was a first stab at "soft touch".  The areas that had plastic (mainly center console/HVAC area) had a rubbery texture laid on to them.  Not exactly true soft touch...but not hard plastic either.  Somewhere in between. 

All flat black areas are the rubbery soft touch stuff:

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2014, 09:49:24 pm »
I guess it would be easy in Fredericton but how do you do 100% city?   Where I am, manual is fine since by the time you get into 3rd gear from the stoplight, you are out of town.

The visibility in the Prius is not wonderful but you can get used to it.  Any aerodynamic car now is pretty compromised in that regard.  Frankly, I would sacrifice all of the cameras and warning systems for good sightlines.  I take off the passengers headrest and put down the rear seats and that helps a lot.

Speaking of warning systems, I've "understeered" through a few corners recently (no traffic around) and the anti-skid warning beeper on the Prius comes on about 3/4 of a second late.   If you don't know you are in a slide by the time the beeper goes off, you shouldn't be driving.

The warning is so late, they may as well have put a voice alert in the things saying "You Have Just Hit Another Car".   Vital information that drivers over 90 need to know.

Cheers,
John M.

Well Fredericton is still ~25x25 km and is reasonably dense so it's not like Belleville or something.. More like Kingston