Author Topic: Best look at the upcoming G70 so far.  (Read 123233 times)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: Best look at the upcoming G70 so far.
« Reply #220 on: January 22, 2018, 03:11:23 pm »
if you are using your cell phone for navi everyday i wonder how much data you would be using... is it that much of an issue just to install a navi system?
Sygic Nav app goes not use data for maps, just for traffic

Offline SearhardBurger

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +28/-29
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 VW Golf City, 2018 Honda CR-V Touring, 2013 Buick Regal GS (RIP)
« Reply #221 on: January 22, 2018, 03:55:39 pm »
Congratulations to you and your team, Patrick!  Great job on the presentation too!

Gorgeous looking car inside and out!  Especially love the Prestige model's colour combo and wheels.  Might be in the minority, but the dark sport wheels don't wow me.  I much prefer the wheels on the grey car, or the wheels on the white G70 in Jaeger's post on page 10.

The 2.0 Elite AWD sounds perfect!  Nurburg Green with the Caramel Brown interior please!!

That brown leather  :drool:

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #222 on: January 22, 2018, 04:14:16 pm »
That $43,600 Lexus isn't really comparable to an Elite though. No sunroof, no heated steering wheel, no nav, no adaptive cruise or other active safety functions, no memory driver's seat, no ventilated seats, no premium audio, etc.
The $43,500 is actually the $45,500, Lexus with a $2,000 incentive on right now.  That's still its current sales price.  It's the IS300 AWD with Premium package, which includes:
Power Moonroof Heated Steering Wheel Heated & Ventilated Front Seats P255/35R18 (Rear) P225/40R18 (Front) 18" Aluminum Alloy Wheels

And come on, Patrick - you yourself:
[...]configured the 2.0T Sport in a single driver-focused specification for the time being. Off the base spec, it deletes all-wheel drive, the automatic, and the active driver assistance tech (Forward Collision Avoidance, Adaptive Cruise, Lane Keep Assist, High Beam Assist).
...so you're suggesting that the Lexus doesn't compete on options you don't even want.  I'd say that it does seem to compete fairly well.

That's the point here.  We expect the G70 to be a decent driver with luxury that is near-enough to the competition, along with a lower price point, creates massive value to offset the lack of the established name (for now).

I'm not trading the Lexus name, buttery-smooth V6, and who knows what else, for a turbo-4 in an non-established brand at the same price.  For $5-10k cheaper, hell yeah.

The only OE implementation of wireless Carplay right now is BMW.
...and BMW mulling charging a subscription fee to use Carplay in its vehicles.

https://www.autotrader.ca/newsfeatures/20180119/are-annual-apple-carplay-fees-coming-to-bmw-canada/

if you are using your cell phone for navi everyday i wonder how much data you would be using... is it that much of an issue just to install a navi system?
Download offline maps on WiFi - no data usage so long as you're within the area of the maps you downloaded.

Built-in Nav systems go obsolete quickly.  Carplay is more universal.

Patrick, don't take my comments as a negative - I agree with SHB that Genesis, and especially you, have done a wonderful job here.  There are some things you can change (nothing I can think of :)), and others that are set (like the shifter).  I am incredibly interested in the G70, but the biggest concern I have will be the value quotient, on which Genesis has historically placed its focus with great success.

Sounds like a bunch of us agree that the 2.0T AWD Elite is the sweet-spot.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #223 on: January 22, 2018, 04:27:43 pm »
Congratulations to you and your team, Patrick!  Great job on the presentation too!

Gorgeous looking car inside and out!  Especially love the Prestige model's colour combo and wheels.  Might be in the minority, but the dark sport wheels don't wow me.  I much prefer the wheels on the grey car, or the wheels on the white G70 in Jaeger's post on page 10.

The 2.0 Elite AWD sounds perfect!  Nurburg Green with the Caramel Brown interior please!!

That brown leather  :drool:

Not Genesis, but close:

;D
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline SearhardBurger

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +28/-29
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 VW Golf City, 2018 Honda CR-V Touring, 2013 Buick Regal GS (RIP)
« Reply #224 on: January 22, 2018, 04:32:00 pm »
Never.going.to.happen.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: January 22, 2018, 05:16:35 pm »

[...]configured the 2.0T Sport in a single driver-focused specification for the time being. Off the base spec, it deletes all-wheel drive, the automatic, and the active driver assistance tech (Forward Collision Avoidance, Adaptive Cruise, Lane Keep Assist, High Beam Assist).

FWIW, all IS come standard with automatic high beam, PCS, dynamic cruise, lane departure and lane keep.

And I agree largely with No-San....you want to offer more for less than the competition....not less for less. 

Although that might work too; someone who had aspiration of a Lexus instead settling for a Hyundai because it's less.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #226 on: January 22, 2018, 05:25:00 pm »
That $43,600 Lexus isn't really comparable to an Elite though. No sunroof, no heated steering wheel, no nav, no adaptive cruise or other active safety functions, no memory driver's seat, no ventilated seats, no premium audio, etc.

Exactly, that Lexus has less equipment than our base car, much less the Elite. Also, it's not a V6 anymore - it's a 2.0T like the rest of the segment.

Actually the Lexus is still a V6. The 2.0T is only available with RWD (for now).

Plus with some basic tampering the V6 can be pushed to the IS350 output levels as it is essentially the same engine.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #227 on: January 22, 2018, 05:41:11 pm »

FWIW, all IS come standard with automatic high beam, PCS, dynamic cruise, lane departure and lane keep.

And I agree largely with No-San....you want to offer more for less than the competition....not less for less. 

Although that might work too; someone who had aspiration of a Lexus instead settling for a Hyundai because it's less.

Only the 2.0T RWD manual Sport lacks those features though, so the vast majority of G70s will have them (including the base model).

Patrick, maybe I missed it, but do you know when pricing will be announced?

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-103
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #228 on: January 22, 2018, 06:39:31 pm »
The $43,500 is actually the $45,500, Lexus with a $2,000 incentive on right now.  That's still its current sales price.  It's the IS300 AWD with Premium package, which includes:
Power Moonroof Heated Steering Wheel Heated & Ventilated Front Seats P255/35R18 (Rear) P225/40R18 (Front) 18" Aluminum Alloy Wheels

And come on, Patrick - you yourself:
...so you're suggesting that the Lexus doesn't compete on options you don't even want.  I'd say that it does seem to compete fairly well.

That's the point here.  We expect the G70 to be a decent driver with luxury that is near-enough to the competition, along with a lower price point, creates massive value to offset the lack of the established name (for now).

I'm not trading the Lexus name, buttery-smooth V6, and who knows what else, for a turbo-4 in an non-established brand at the same price.  For $5-10k cheaper, hell yeah.

https://www.autotrader.ca/newsfeatures/20180119/are-annual-apple-carplay-fees-coming-to-bmw-canada/

Download offline maps on WiFi - no data usage so long as you're within the area of the maps you downloaded.

Patrick, don't take my comments as a negative - I agree with SHB that Genesis, and especially you, have done a wonderful job here.  There are some things you can change (nothing I can think of :)), and others that are set (like the shifter).  I am incredibly interested in the G70, but the biggest concern I have will be the value quotient, on which Genesis has historically placed its focus with great success.

Sounds like a bunch of us agree that the 2.0T AWD Elite is the sweet-spot.

All perfectly fair points, and my bad for misstating that the IS300 was 2.0T - I had the RWD in my head. Your point re: equipment deletions in the 2.0T Sport is fair, but we look at that as a stand-alone within the line-up as it has a very specific purpose in mind. The 2.0T Elite, 2.0T Prestige, and 3.3T models are really the core of the line-up and will be priced accordingly based on their equipment levels.

Only the 2.0T RWD manual Sport lacks those features though, so the vast majority of G70s will have them (including the base model).

Patrick, maybe I missed it, but do you know when pricing will be announced?

As soon as I can get it approved  ;)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 06:45:26 pm by Patrick_D1 »
Manual gearbox evangelist. Die-hard automotive and motorsport enthusiast. Often found covered in mud.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
Best look at the upcoming G70 so far.
« Reply #229 on: January 22, 2018, 06:41:29 pm »

That’s correct, but you don’t have to go much higher - $47k to get all of that - just add the luxury package...you still have the lower output V6 but you get Lexus premium service and reliability. If you want the higher output V6, you have to step up to $54k.

I think No’s point was, if the G70 Elite price point sits at $43k, it would be a great competitor....if it’s priced at the same level as the IS300, then most people will just bypass the G70 by default and land at Lexus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 22, 2018, 06:56:03 pm »

That’s correct, but you don’t have to go much higher - $47k to get all of that - just add the luxury package...you still have the lower output V6 but you get Lexus premium service and reliability. If you want the higher output V6, you have to step up to $54k.

Or just buy the tune for $550.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #231 on: January 22, 2018, 07:10:22 pm »

Wow... surprised but not really. Alpine ILX-107 it is. (Note to all, don't get the ILX-207, it doesn't have wireless Carplay despite sounding like a successor tot he ILX-107)

I use about 100MB a month for navigation. That's like $1 of data a month for the most up to date navigation information and that includes rerouting around traffic. How much do the dealers charge to update the maps to the latest and greatest and what's required for traffic info?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 22, 2018, 07:12:35 pm »

I use about 100MB a month for navigation. That's like $1 of data a month for the most up to date navigation information and that includes rerouting around traffic. How much do the dealers charge to update the maps to the latest and greatest and what's required for traffic info?

Hopefully you don't drive in the US.

$5/Mb.

Of course, you could go offline with no traffic updates.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 22, 2018, 07:23:07 pm »
Hopefully you don't drive in the US.

$5/Mb.

Of course, you could go offline with no traffic updates.

Rogers Roam Like Home $5/day. I'm sure the other carriers have the same thing. I used Waze down in the US with full traffic although back in 2014 I bought a data package since Bell didn't have a roam like home type thing at the time. I have to comment that Waze was so useful around LA.

If traveling to the US regularly, I'd get a US sim card and plan, or Roam Mobility.

Or as you said, Google Maps offline with no traffic data. Google is nice in that it has lane guidance in a lot of places. I just recently found out that Apple Maps has lane guidance as well but only on major routes in major cities.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 22, 2018, 07:58:39 pm »
All Genesis vehicles include complimentary navigation updates. That's actually a pretty good deal.

Offline SKYMTL

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +30/-77
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 BMW 440i, 2014 Mazda 3 GT Sport
« Reply #235 on: January 23, 2018, 07:47:05 am »
All Genesis vehicles include complimentary navigation updates. That's actually a pretty good deal.

You mean like the ones that come with Waze and Google Maps for.....free?   ;)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #236 on: January 23, 2018, 07:55:34 am »

You mean like the ones that come with Waze and Google Maps for.....free?   ;)

I don't like the of look of Waze or Google maps , background is to light 

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #237 on: January 23, 2018, 09:19:23 am »

any suggestions for apps for offline maps for iPhone?

CarPlay is great but you're limited to using Apple Maps. I haven't used it in years so I'm not sure how good or bad it is these days but I'd prefer to be able to use Google Maps.

Saw an article recently that talked about how far ahead Google Maps is vs. its competitors thanks to the sheer volume of data that Google collects and uses to enhance Maps.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #238 on: January 23, 2018, 09:40:51 am »
Rogers Roam Like Home $5/day.
$6/day.
https://www.rogers.com/consumer/wireless/travel

...and Telus is up to $7/day.

...assuming your Genesis has navi built-in.  We don't know what package you need to get that as of yet.

CarPlay is great but you're limited to using Apple Maps.
any suggestions for apps for offline maps for iPhone?
Uh, no, you're not.  You can use Google maps:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/google-maps-gps-navigation/id585027354?mt=8

...just not using Siri.  You'd have to use screen mirror or a third party app.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 09:44:20 am by No-san »

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 23, 2018, 09:48:09 am »

...assuming your Genesis has navi built-in.  We don't know what package you need to get that as of yet.

This is getting boring. Here's the link, again;

https://acquisition.genesis.com/preorder/155610/trim/