Poll

What should Heli do?

So you missed the sale, boo-hoo. It's only fifty bucks - suck it up.
9 (30%)
That's outrageous! It's false advertising and you should complain to the government.
4 (13.3%)
Unitronic sucks. Just forget it and buy a tune from someone else.
13 (43.3%)
Who needs a tune? Just skip the whole thing and save $550. (I put this one in for Rupert. ;) )
4 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Author Topic: GTI tune, or Yeah, I'm a Cheapskate.  (Read 17831 times)

Offline micha

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW Golf R; 2019 VW Golf Sportwagen; 1998 Mercedes E320
Re: GTI tune, or Yeah, I'm a Cheapskate.
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2017, 03:36:59 pm »
FYI, APR is having a tune until the 31st in the US. Might be worth seeing if it's also being offered in Canada.

https://www.goapr.com/

I went with APR and love it, but APR charged me ~$1,300. I called the two APR dealer in town and was told the same price by both.

I have to agree with Ron though. A tune will transform your car.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2017, 06:23:03 pm »
I'd take my business elsewhere, even if it means paying a little more somewhere else. Their response to your very fair email is unacceptable.

^ this.  A very poor response to your email. 
agreed...if that's how they treat you when you want to buy something, imagine what it will be like if you have an issue down the road??

personally, i'd pass and look elsewhere (APR?).
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2017, 06:26:11 pm »
I'd take my business elsewhere, even if it means paying a little more somewhere else. Their response to your very fair email is unacceptable.

^ this.  A very poor response to your email. 
agreed...if that's how they treat you when you want to buy something, imagine what it will be like if you have an issue down the road??

personally, i'd pass and look elsewhere (APR?).

I don't know.  I like APR....but there's a reason I didn't go with them.  COST.

I dunno....going with APR and spending significantly more than the $50 extra doesn't make any sense to me....especially if I was a cheapskate.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2017, 07:06:58 pm »
Ah. I'd figured they were all about the same price.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2017, 07:10:18 pm »

Depending where, sometimes more than double.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2017, 07:30:42 pm »

Depending where, sometimes more than double.

My buddy with mk6r got apr tune for 800 i think last year.  So it's fair bit more.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2017, 08:15:07 pm »
I posted over on golfmk6.com in the Unitronic thread. Didn't get any sympathy (as expected), but will be interesting to see if the Unitronic guy chimes in. He's generally pretty responsive and helpful, but it seems like they have a zero-tolerance policy on their sales.

Anyway, it all may be a moot point for now. Work is getting busy and I may have to cancel my appointment anyway. Summer is crazy busy for me, so will probably rebook for the fall (and might have another chance at a sale.) Or I might decide it's silly to get a tune just before the winter tires go on (which is what happened last year), so may just wait until the spring 2018 sale.  :P

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2017, 06:59:25 pm »
Come on! Stop making excuses!

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2017, 07:15:57 pm »
Yeah, yeah, I know.

I did get a response from the Unitronic guy on the GTI forum. He told me to shoot him an email, but I haven't heard back yet.

And the work situation has changed again, so it seems more likely I'll be able to make that appointment after all.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2017, 11:57:20 am »
So, a week later and the Unitronic guy never got back to me. Another douche move from Unitronic.  ::)

Unfortunately, the APR tune is $840. Even with the 10%-off sale, it's going to be $810 with installation. I just don't feel like spending 800 bucks on this.

And it's again looking like I'm going to have to cancel my indie appointment anyway. So I think I'll just hold my nose and wait for another Unitronic sale. Maybe in the fall.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2017, 01:02:09 pm »
My $0.02:

The legal ramifications here are irrelevant, but the personal gratification of holding out for the sale and then being denied same would p!ss me the fak off.

At some point, you have to decide what is worth more: your pride, or having the tune you want.  I personally would keep going after Unitronic until they honour it ;D

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2017, 01:20:20 pm »
^^ Some valid points were raised on the Unitronic side.

They never actually sell their tunes through their website: all sales all done through their authorized dealers. Yes, my dealer is closed on weekends, but others aren't. And some dealers also have their own websites, where one could purchase a tune 24/7.

So as far as the Unitronic website goes, it does suck that they don't make this clear (even a link to a list of online dealers would be nice,) but it is technically possible to buy a tune at the sale price 24/7, so I guess my complaint isn't valid there.

Anyway, I'm done hounding these guys. I will likely buy their tune, but after all this screwing around, for sure not at full price. I've lived without a tune for 7 years now, so can tough it out another six months or whatever.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2017, 01:24:01 pm »
but after all this screwing around, for sure not at full price. I've lived without a tune for 7 years now, so can tough it out another six months or whatever.
:cheers: :iagree:

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2017, 11:47:05 am »
but after all this screwing around, for sure not at full price. I've lived without a tune for 7 years now, so can tough it out another six months or whatever.
:cheers: :iagree:
:thumbup:

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2017, 11:04:02 am »
All right, so I don't have as much willpower as I thought. The car is in the shop anyway for other work, so it seemed silly not to just get the tune done now. For fifty bucks (and the satisfaction of not giving Unitronic that extra fifty bucks), it's just not worth the hassle of another trip to the city and the waiting around.

And, while I'm moaning and whining, I got a speeding ticket on the way to the city this morning. Was following a modded WRX and we both decided to get a bit rowdy on a highway off-ramp. Off-ramp was posted at 30 50 km/h (yellow advisory) and the cop clocked us doing 143 km/h at the exit. Oops.  :-[

God help me once I'm tuned. This was my first ticket in three years, but I have a feeling there will be more coming...  :(  Must. Be. Careful.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 11:15:02 am by HeliDriver »

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2017, 11:07:50 am »
yeah be careful indeed

personally for me, I save my speed runs for empty back country roads and empty stretches of highway...but sometimes you can't resist the urge if you have a playmate  ;D
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2017, 11:08:29 am »
Helidriver:

;D
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2017, 11:24:42 am »
yeah be careful indeed

personally for me, I save my speed runs for empty back country roads and empty stretches of highway...but sometimes you can't resist the urge if you have a playmate  ;D

It's funny because I had been following the WRX on the highway for the past 45 minutes and we had just been cruising along at 10 or so over the limit. Like me, I expect he was just planning to have a bit of fun on the off-ramp, then settle back into a respectable cruise.

Anyway, there happened to be a cop driving the other way at just the wrong time and he nailed us just as we were coming into the merge lane to enter the other highway.

The cop was good about it, though. Told me to slow down and be careful, but no ridiculous "Think of the children!" safety speech. There were no other cars around when he clocked us. Wrote us both up for 136 km/h, which is 36 over the 100 km/h limit of the highway we were about to enter.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2017, 11:41:54 am »
All right, so I don't have as much willpower as I thought. The car is in the shop anyway for other work, so it seemed silly not to just get the tune done now. For fifty bucks (and the satisfaction of not giving Unitronic that extra fifty bucks), it's just not worth the hassle of another trip to the city and the waiting around.

And, while I'm moaning and whining, I got a speeding ticket on the way to the city this morning. Was following a modded WRX and we both decided to get a bit rowdy on a highway off-ramp. Off-ramp was posted at 30 50 km/h (yellow advisory) and the cop clocked us doing 143 km/h at the exit. Oops.  :-[

God help me once I'm tuned. This was my first ticket in three years, but I have a feeling there will be more coming...  :(  Must. Be. Careful.

:banana: It is about time  :P

Will be interesting to hear your opinion of the tune after a few weeks. After the install I never found it night/day, more like, I just spent $700 for this. Give it a couple of weeks.

With mine, I find my boost comes up more slowly, now starts to build around 2500 rpm. First gear doesn't feel like you get full boost, second gear feels like 80% boost and then third gear gets everything.  So my off the line times aren't impressive (don't care) but my back road passing is improved (do care).

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2017, 11:42:56 am »
Ha, :popcorn: I'm loving this (sorry to enjoy your misery, but the irony is delicious!)