Author Topic: Smart battery chargers vs constant trickle charger  (Read 2900 times)

Offline erotavlas

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Audi A5
Smart battery chargers vs constant trickle charger
« on: April 22, 2018, 12:16:02 pm »
I was just wondering for a dead car battery which is better to revive it?

Using a NOCO smart charger like the G3500?  Or a basic constant 2A trickle charger?

Just want to know if all the features the NOCO states on the box are true and worth it
Thanks

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
Re: Smart battery chargers vs constant trickle charger
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 12:36:38 pm »
The Noco smart chargers are all they are hyped up to be.

Although, if your battery is too far gone, no amount of fancy battery chargers/maintainers will bring it back.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 02:05:09 pm »

Using a NOCO smart charger like the G3500?  Or a basic constant 2A trickle charger?

Just want to know if all the features the NOCO states on the box are true and worth it
Thanks

After making sure the cells are topped up then 10 amps would be best.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 10:48:26 am »
I'm no expert and I don't pretend to be one.  I wanted to get my dad the Noco G750, but it suggests it'll only top up small batteries (not car batteries).

I have this one (currently on sale for $35 FWIW):
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-eliminator-intelligent-battery-charger-2a-0111506p.html#srp

...and it's worked wonders for the Corolla, Mazda3, and Fozzie (which has an AGM battery).

I don't know if others are better, but the one above is 2amps and works very well.

Online dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 11:00:07 am »
If you need to charge a dead battery, a normal charger is the way to go but you do have to watch it so it doesn't overcharge your battery. A trickle charger will take forever to get your battery up to snuff but you won't have to watch it. A smart battery is a combination of the two, not recommended for long term storage but if has some overcharge protection so you don't have to watch it constantly, and it'll get your battery charged faster than a trickle charger.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 11:33:56 am »
Myself and a few other members here have the Noco for our summer cars when they're in storage. I think we all unanimously agree it's awesome.
I don't disagree that your unit is great, but does it do anything in reality better than one that's half its price?

Yours is the 3500, no?
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/noco-genius-g3500-smart-battery-charger-0111927p.html#srp

The 1100 is a bit cheaper, but slower charge:
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/noco-genius-g1100-smart-battery-charger-0111926p.html#srp

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 03:23:18 pm »

Thanks

Myself and a few other members here have the Noco for our summer cars when they're in storage. I think we all unanimously agree it's awesome.
Agreed.

Love my NoCo. I do have one of the better ones..but still reasonably priced. I turned Bob onto one and he seemed quite pleased...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2018, 12:46:31 am »
I have the 3500 saved in my Amazon cart.  I'm going to buy it to maintain my Deep Cycle trailer battery.