Author Topic: First Drive: 2013 Cadillac ATS  (Read 8598 times)

Offline MMMB89

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
Re: First Drive: 2013 Cadillac ATS
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2012, 02:13:53 pm »
The 1980s called. They want their gauge cluster back.

I thought the same thing when I first saw images of it a while back. Without the lower LCD display it looks like the gauge cluster came right out of a late 80s Cavalier.

The ATS definitely seems promising and is finally something from GM that doesn't cheap out on some level (or at least the levels that count).

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2012, 02:27:08 pm »
Are we all looking at the same picture of the gauges?   I see the one with the XM song display below the speedo and it looks fine to me.   I do agree that most of that bright work especially on the steering wheel has to go.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline JRM

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-94
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 VW Passat TSI, 2004 Pontiac Vibe AWD
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2012, 03:33:11 pm »
Cadillac has come a long way in appealing to a broader demographic group.  This model is no exception.  The ATS appears to have the chassis and driving dynamics nailed.  Looks like a solid package overall.  For me , though, there are a few stying characteristis that are a bit too flashy and cluttered, e.g. the light accross the rear deck lid that seems at odds with the vertical tail lights.   The dash, guages  and center stack look overstyled and are too glitzy.  A toned down one piece dash is cleaner and classier imo, not to mention less prone to rattles and sqeaks.    I, for one, still prefer the tried and true styling and engineering of it's German competitors.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2012, 03:34:22 pm »

Good car, no doubt, and it's good to see someone giving the German 3 a run for their money. But still GM stopped short making ME want to go check it out. Is it THAT good though, is it REALLY better engineered than the 3-series? I guess I need more convincing.

You don't need convincing, you need driving. Drive it. I'd be curious to hear what a BMW loyalist would think.

also, I was talking to a GM engineer, and he cautioned that all 2.0T models are pre-production, so not surprising that there might be some flaws in certain areas—i didn't drive the manual transmisssion, but Jonny Lieberman slammed it in his head-to-head with a 328i and said the cadillac lost because of that, but there is potential that it is something they can correct before 2.0Ts hit mass production.

Those two highlited above sealed it for me.

That pole dancer may be great at what she does but how is she raising kids and taking out the garbage? From that perspective, auto journalists spend half their time in a strip bar with beer and lap dance free. Question is, how many of those dancers would you take home to meet your mother?

Interestingly, I am not a BMW loyalist. I wanted a Merc but ended up with a BMW because it was a better overall package.
The interior of the car and slow daily commute is where I spend most of my time. That ATS interior will put me off, the 2.0T is a question mark, as well as GM's reputation for quality and after sales maintenance. Given I can only drive it at 1.5/10 in the winter traffic, all in all, at the same price, 3-series with xDrive is king.

If money were no object and I spent more than 10% of my driving time on the track, I would definitely give the ATS a fair shot. Until then, reality bites.

Performance is great as a marketing tool, but value must be there too. GM may have created a great performing car but where is the competitive advantage in terms of value?

To be clear, I am not slamming the car. I am sure the engineers did their job. Now GM needs to present it to public as a great value proposition if it wants to sell it in any significant quantities. Luxury car market is much harder to penetrate than mainstream.

Umm, I am not slamming BMW, but they are not known for their reliability or after sales maintenance, which is why most are leased.  People lease german cars in general, they don't buy them.  Even regular maintenace on german cars, is like 30-40% more than domestic cars. 

I thought it was a good review as well.  I don't buy new either, but would like to take a look in a few years.  Not sure what I would prefer the CTS with the 3.0L manual, or the ATS with the 2.0L turbo manual.  As the CTS 3.0L can go on regular.  And I have not sat in the ATS, so not sure how tight the rear seats are.  I also wonder is it the same manual transmission?

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2012, 04:11:37 pm »
Umm, I am not slamming BMW, but they are not known for their reliability or after sales maintenance, which is why most are leased.  People lease german cars in general, they don't buy them.  Even regular maintenace on german cars, is like 30-40% more than domestic cars. 

I thought it was a good review as well.  I don't buy new either, but would like to take a look in a few years.  Not sure what I would prefer the CTS with the 3.0L manual, or the ATS with the 2.0L turbo manual.  As the CTS 3.0L can go on regular.  And I have not sat in the ATS, so not sure how tight the rear seats are.  I also wonder is it the same manual transmission?

Well, that's the thing. I don't buy used (normally). And when you lease a BMW new, not only do you get lower monthly payments but also ALL routine maintenance included which, BTW, only happens once a year. That factored in, BMW represents better value and is a very well known well established quantity. I know exactly what I'm getting myself into.
With GM, it's a can of worms. I may be lucky but by choosing BMW (or Lexus, or MB, or Audi, etc) I'm hedging my risks without compromising performance.

Problem with your approach is GM needs to sell them NEW, not used. GM can't think the same way you do - "Oh, we'll wait a few years and then sell them used and ppl will jump on them because their maintenance is going to be cheaper (which is pure speculation at this point)"

To overcome this, they need to match not only the performance, but after sales experience too. If not, they are stopping short and I'm not their customer. Once lost, regaining the trust is no easy task. Being a snob won't help it.

Northernridge

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2012, 04:31:29 pm »
"...can be fairly called the standard of the world"

Hmmm...that's pretty high praise.  :o

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2012, 04:49:16 pm »

And I have not sat in the ATS, so not sure how tight the rear seats are. 

Tight. Very much like the previous-gen 3.
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline Oldsguy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +70/-953
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2012, 05:03:24 pm »
I had a hard time finishing reading the article. Total unconditional relentless unreserved praise for a new product that is only fighting for its spot at the feeder. NO quibbles or criticism? That smells.

Maybe the author mistakenly believed he was driving an Asian car. ::)
Since October 2015 the Junior PM has been in office.  Record mega-Billion deficits as he p*sses away our future.  An economy gutted. Stinky POTHEADS rejoice. We are going down the drain.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2012, 05:09:55 pm »
I had a hard time finishing reading the article. Total unconditional relentless unreserved praise for a new product that is only fighting for its spot at the feeder. NO quibbles or criticism? That smells.

Maybe the author mistakenly believed he was driving an Asian car. ::)

What, this wasn't a Honda? ::)

a good car is a good car, but there are some criticisms in there (back seat space, pricing, couple of ergonomic issues, minor stuff to me)... just read it a couple more times... ;D

Offline dewey9315

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-13
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2012, 05:53:00 pm »

Well, that's the thing. I don't buy used (normally). And when you lease a BMW new, not only do you get lower monthly payments but also ALL routine maintenance included which, BTW, only happens once a year. That factored in, BMW represents better value and is a very well known well established quantity. I know exactly what I'm getting myself into.
With GM, it's a can of worms. I may be lucky but by choosing BMW (or Lexus, or MB, or Audi, etc) I'm hedging my risks without compromising performance.

Problem with your approach is GM needs to sell them NEW, not used. GM can't think the same way you do - "Oh, we'll wait a few years and then sell them used and ppl will jump on them because their maintenance is going to be cheaper (which is pure speculation at this point)"

To overcome this, they need to match not only the performance, but after sales experience too. If not, they are stopping short and I'm not their customer. Once lost, regaining the trust is no easy task. Being a snob won't help it.

Lease or buy your 2013 ATS, and it comes with free maintenance for the first 4 years.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2012, 05:58:21 pm »
Jonathan is right about the tight backseats.  Tighter than the current 3.  But then again, I have no teenage kids and the ATS was way more sharp around the track at TestFest

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2012, 06:33:19 pm »
Jonathan is right about the tight backseats.  Tighter than the current 3.  But then again, I have no teenage kids and the ATS was way more sharp around the track at TestFest

Don't forget about the really small trunk - I'm waiting for Wing to test an ATS, because I want to know if a curling broom will fit in there!

Offline JRM

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-94
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 VW Passat TSI, 2004 Pontiac Vibe AWD
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2012, 09:44:47 am »

That hasn't been my experience with my German engineered VW Golf.  It has cost just over $200.00 in maintenance in the 2 1/2 years I've had it.  That represents two scheduled maintenace visits at one year/15,000 km intervals with synthetic oil being used.  The second included an in cabin air filter and other extras.   No warranty claims either.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2012, 10:09:54 am »

Lease or buy your 2013 ATS, and it comes with free maintenance for the first 4 years.

Something's telling me that the ATS will be more expensive to lease than the BMW since its residual after 4 years will be close to zip. Anyone has the data or too early to tell?