Author Topic: 2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS  (Read 1715 times)

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
Re: 2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2023, 01:41:37 pm »
This all sounds too good to be true (well equipped subcompact CUV for under 30k), which given the current auto market I hope isn't the case.  Call me a negative nelly but I picture these things falling apart/blowing up after a few years.

What would give you that fear?  ;D

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2023, 01:55:23 pm »
This all sounds too good to be true (well equipped subcompact CUV for under 30k), which given the current auto market I hope isn't the case.  Call me a negative nelly but I picture these things falling apart/blowing up after a few years.

These things actually held up not so bad for their price point. Always fun though to look at classifieds for Mirages - so many of them received a new engine on warranty!
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2023, 01:57:11 pm »

Ya, and maybe other GM/Daewoo products.  There's enough established manufacturers that finding a golden ticket to cheap and reliable transportation these days isn't going to happen.  I think what we have here will be cheap.  If reliable goes along with it then please let me know I was wrong.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2023, 03:28:49 pm by bridgecity »
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2023, 02:02:06 pm »

Ya, and maybe other GM/Daewoo products.  There's enough established manufacturers that finding a golden ticket to cheap and reliable transportation these days isn't going to be a revelation.  I think what we have here will be cheap.  If reliable goes along with it then please let me know I was wrong.

The problem with cheap cars is cheap maintenance. Take the Micra - there were tons of them all around QC, but you don't see them anymore. The engine is tough - I was just talking with the head of the Micra/Sentra cups last evening at a reception, and most racing Micras never had an engine rebuild!! But in the streets these cars don't get babied, waxed etc. so they age quickly. Entrey level cars often get trashed, that's the sad thruth.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2023, 02:31:27 pm »
The Equinoxs we have at work always feel like a good buy at the dollar store, and if this is the same way that's probably just fine for the lower end of the market, especially if there's no major problems like those Mirages have.

Chrysler salesmen must be looking on enviously, the cheapest the local dealer has on the lot is $41,000 for a Compass. And Ford dealers are in pretty much the same boat, $41,000 for an Escape with the ecoboom

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2023, 02:39:19 pm »
The Equinoxs we have at work always feel like a good buy at the dollar store, and if this is the same way that's probably just fine for the lower end of the market, especially if there's no major problems like those Mirages have.

Chrysler salesmen must be looking on enviously, the cheapest the local dealer has on the lot is $41,000 for a Compass. And Ford dealers are in pretty much the same boat, $41,000 for an Escape with the ecoboom

Also a 3-cylinder nowadays!

Chrysler needs a new Journey, quick. If they could bring in the Fiat Panda under $20k they'd have something, at least. Saw tons of these in Italy.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2023, 03:05:49 pm »
This in all it's 2 stroke 4 speed glory.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2023, 03:08:03 pm »
That Panda looks pretty good!

One thing with these 1.2T engines is they use a 'wet' timing belt running in oil. The same thing was tried in the 1.0 Ecoboost triple in Europe and was famous for dissolving the belt after a certain amount of time

The 2.7 Ecoboost uses a wet belt to drive the oil pump, as does the baby Duramax diesel, will be curious if they have any issues after a while

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2023, 03:17:09 pm »

$34k for a base AWD one these days. Not terrible but that interior is looking rather dated especially in comparison to the Trax.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2023, 03:23:52 pm »
This in all it's 2 stroke 4 speed glory.

That's something that fascinated me in Italy - you see so few old cars. Haven't seen a single Fiat of that vintage, and only one original 500. I have not seen a rusted anything, anywhere. But all cars are fairly recent, many with dings and scratches, but many mint ones too. And I see more Italian exotics here than over there. First Ferrari I saw was ... a Purosangue.

The late-model Pandas are everywhere, many had "hybrid" badges, and they look pretty good. They appear narrower than a Yaris when parked near one. Appears to be 95% of Fiat sales too.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2023, 03:39:36 pm »
This is government idiocy at its finest. Lets make capacity limits on engines whether or not it makes a difference in fuel mileage or not. Boosted 3 banger, I couldn't imagine this thing on a highway trying to pass. FIL has a horrible Journey with a 2.4?? 4 banger, and that thing with 4 people and luggage on board is bad on a two lane or in the mountains and its got more power than this toaster. If you're painted into a corner like those poor Europeans that don't have space and fuel is astronomically expensive, why you would sentence yourself to this thing.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2023, 03:49:29 pm »
This is government idiocy at its finest. Lets make capacity limits on engines whether or not it makes a difference in fuel mileage or not. Boosted 3 banger, I couldn't imagine this thing on a highway trying to pass. FIL has a horrible Journey with a 2.4?? 4 banger, and that thing with 4 people and luggage on board is bad on a two lane or in the mountains and its got more power than this toaster. If you're painted into a corner like those poor Europeans that don't have space and fuel is astronomically expensive, why you would sentence yourself to this thing.

A Kicks is a sentence, the Trax is fine, if not the best for highway passes. It was actually fun in town, and much faster than the Citroën I had in Italy.

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2023, 03:59:59 pm »

I think most of these rules date back a long ways, before forced induction was a thing and when smaller engines generally speaking did equate to better fuel economy.

Keep in mind that Journey also had an atrocious four speed automatic that was well past its best before date.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2023, 04:13:36 pm »

I think most of these rules date back a long ways, before forced induction was a thing and when smaller engines generally speaking did equate to better fuel economy.

Keep in mind that Journey also had an atrocious four speed automatic that was well past its best before date when it was introduced.

Fixed that for ya!!  ;D ;D

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2023, 04:21:59 pm »

Keep in mind that Journey also had an atrocious four speed automatic that was well past its best before date when it was introduced.

Fixed that for ya!!  ;D ;D

Saw quite a few of the Fiat Freemont-badged versions in Italy.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2023, 04:23:35 pm »
No wonder they think that all 'Murican cars are steaming piles of garbage.....not only is it a Fiat, its a Journey. Its like never trying american food before and someone bringing you cold grits as your first course.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2023, 04:30:56 pm »
No wonder they think that all 'Murican cars are steaming piles of garbage.....not only is it a Fiat, its a Journey. Its like never trying american food before and someone bringing you cold grits as your first course.

It's a Journey with Fiat diesel engines! Perfect match! The NA 2.4 and V6 were also available.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2023, 04:35:23 pm »

It's a Journey with Fiat diesel engines! Perfect match! The NA 2.4 and V6 were also available.

See, you say Fiat, I picture waiting for a tow truck while car is on fire  ;D

Offline valuator

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2023, 08:29:53 am »

I was at the Ford store the other day looking at Mustangs with my dad (long story), but I saw a row of Escapes prices in the mid $50s.  I :censor: you not.  No wonder they are not moving.

Offline Davep

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-14
    • View Profile
  • Cars: first car - 1965 Hillman Super Minx!!!
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2023, 08:59:54 am »
An attractive bright blue Trax passed me on the 401 Saturday on my return from Toronto. Larger than I realized. It was boogying along at 120+.

I will likely wind up with a Trax or the Buick Envista within a year or two. My current 2014 (Daiwoo) 1.4T Cruze runs like a clock. The only engine issue I've had since new, was the (seeping) waterpump replaced under warranty. (There was an inspection recall for that as I recall.) I change the oil religiously every Fall with snow tire swap, and every spring with summer tire swap, regardless of the mileage, and usually a change mid summer. Cheap insurance.

Living in Brockville, I will only buy a car from a local dealer. Outside of that means travelling to Kingston or Ottawa, for service, which I'm not interested in. In Brockville, I'm limited to the Detroit three, the Korean twins, Toyota, Honda and Nissan, and since the local GM dealer has treated me well since moving here, they will probably get my business.