Author Topic: Preview: 2014 Nissan Versa Note  (Read 5823 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Preview: 2014 Nissan Versa Note
« on: February 01, 2013, 06:26:33 am »

A lower price, aerodynamic styling, and more safety and technology features highlight the new Versa Note hatchback.

Read More...

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
Re: Preview: 2014 Nissan Versa Note
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 08:06:25 am »
As the competition dictates this car is very well "Fitted": wider cut rear hatch at the bottom is useful.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 09:26:02 am »
I like the new look.

"But you have to wonder why the Versa Note will have a standard five-speed manual transmission when the 2012 model came with a standard six-speed manual."

Sometimes less is more.  I think extra gears only make sense if you are gaining an extra over drive gear.  Unfortunately, most manufacturers just pack the ratios in tighter so you never stop shifting around town, unless you skip gears.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 09:44:23 am »
Since this is just a preview, we only get information about the physical dimensions compared to the previous generation, the materials, and technical specs.  But one has to think other than the appearance, what incentive is there to get this one over the last one.  The fuel economy appears very similar, you get one less cog, the starting price is cheaper, the floor in the back has been addressed.  They are also new features found in the top of the line trim with the tech package (but for most people, the subcompact class is meant for basic transportation, so the lower trims sell more)  Bet Nissan will be offering big rebates to get rid of the previous gen.

If it was cheap enough, a used Versa, would make more sense for me than a Sentra as a commuter car, for the utility of the hatch.  Haven't sat in a Versa, my wife finds the sitting position of the Sentra tight, near the steering wheel, on a 2002 Nissan Sentra GXE.  If the Versa was still kind of tight, might move to a mid size for a commuter car.

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 10:57:50 am »
Wasn't the Versa current generation with CVT and that way a virtual 6-speed manual? Just asking.

Offline dasiuyan

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 11:19:38 am »
I could only wish they would have the 1.2L engine in here.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Note#Second_Generation_.28E12.29

But I think a 3 cylinder engine is a tough sell in US... although the disengage-able supercharger seems improve fuel economy a lot...

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 05:30:44 pm »
I'm going to continue my quarter glass tirade.  I wish manufacturers would stop this design: it creates more of a blind spot and just looks wrong.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 06:36:48 pm »
I like the new look.

"But you have to wonder why the Versa Note will have a standard five-speed manual transmission when the 2012 model came with a standard six-speed manual."

Sometimes less is more.  I think extra gears only make sense if you are gaining an extra over drive gear.  Unfortunately, most manufacturers just pack the ratios in tighter so you never stop shifting around town, unless you skip gears.

Agree. Proper gear spacing, and not their number is what makes for a good tranny. My driving school's 87 Camry had 5 speeds and was a blast to drive. My own Grand Am also had 5 and did just fine, although I noticed that the 1st was too low and 2 and 3 were "glued" together. Even then sometimes I'd skip a gear but certainly never wanted more, esp. in city traffic. I saw a review recently where something modern with a v8 would hit 60mph in the SECOND gear, so did it really need all 6?
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 09:25:46 pm »
 Does a car of this size really need the optional "around view monitor"? If you can't park this subcompact you shouldn't be driving.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 09:34:50 pm »
Nav, Bluetooth,around view monitor etc etc....it's interesting to see stuff that was exclusive to luxury cars just a few years ago trickle down this far
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
Preview: 2014 Nissan Versa Note
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 11:40:36 pm »
Yeah and the price doesn't seem to change. ABS, stability control and side airbags were $1000.00 each when I was looking at Vibes out of university. Now they are standard. Soon all around cameras, adaptive cruise, etc will be the same.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 10:05:36 am »
Yeah and the price doesn't seem to change. ABS, stability control and side airbags were $1000.00 each when I was looking at Vibes out of university. Now they are standard. Soon all around cameras, adaptive cruise, etc will be the same.

Oh i agree but do we really need it to drive. I think the way society is developing ,future generations are going to rely on this.People can't put down their phones now. Oh no i can't see all around the car what do I do? My camera is broken. Where am I ? Check my Nav screen. ::) We seem to be putting a buffer between us and our environment.
Sorry I just think it's sad.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2013, 02:16:53 pm »

Oh i agree but do we really need it to drive. I think the way society is developing ,future generations are going to rely on this.People can't put down their phones now. Oh no i can't see all around the car what do I do? My camera is broken. Where am I ? Check my Nav screen. ::) We seem to be putting a buffer between us and our environment.

People have been saying that ever since power steering, power windows and A/C:

:D

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2013, 08:24:48 pm »

People have been saying that ever since power steering, power windows and A/C:

:D

Hey that's me in the picture. ;)

Offline SapphireSeo

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-4
    • View Profile
    • Standard Transmission
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2013, 12:19:48 am »
Yep. People are getting farther away from the unity they had with machines once. Still, I can't exactly reject this trend; machines were created to knock the human element out of any task. For instance, we're not walking long distances by ourselves anymore.

I'm seriously in love with this car's face. Those headlights are beautiful. Shame they couldn't do the same with the fogs.

All in all, I'm proud Canada will soon receive another agreeable hatchback. Thank you Nissan.

Offline Zep

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2013, 04:35:33 am »
Hey look -it's the brand new Nissforonda Verfitiesta!