Author Topic: The things that make me sad, angry, and upset  (Read 2313923 times)

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
Re: The things that make me sad, angry, and upset
« Reply #8520 on: February 24, 2018, 10:17:45 am »
:censor: shift work!  Fast track to an early grave imo.  I did shift for a couple of years many years ago and was totally burnt out after a couple of years of that.  I did 12 hr shifts on a 4 day on/4 day off cycle.  The first day off was a write off because you are just getting off from working a 12 hr night, so you spend the first day trying to sleep, which i could never do, so i ended up zombified on my days off.  The last day off was spent stressing on having to do it all over again.  :P Also, i could never nap in some dumb ass nap room even if it was an option.   ::). I'm a light sleeper at the best of times, so that didnt help. Some people like it though.

I think if you have done nothing else you would be used to it.  My wife has been doing it for 12 years, right out of university.  She doesn't know any different.

She might not know anything different, but it's still slowly taking years of life and health from her.
Many, many studies like this:  https://www.popsci.com/your-schedule-could-be-killing-you

When I'm on vacation, it takes about 2 weeks before I lose the bags under my eyes and don't feel and look tired all the time.

Probably.  But it is what is.  Tons of jobs take years off. 

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #8521 on: February 24, 2018, 10:52:47 am »
:censor: shift work!  Fast track to an early grave imo.  I did shift for a couple of years many years ago and was totally burnt out after a couple of years of that.  I did 12 hr shifts on a 4 day on/4 day off cycle.  The first day off was a write off because you are just getting off from working a 12 hr night, so you spend the first day trying to sleep, which i could never do, so i ended up zombified on my days off.  The last day off was spent stressing on having to do it all over again.  :P Also, i could never nap in some dumb ass nap room even if it was an option.   ::). I'm a light sleeper at the best of times, so that didnt help. Some people like it though.

I think if you have done nothing else you would be used to it.  My wife has been doing it for 12 years, right out of university.  She doesn't know any different.
I rather not see a doctor/ nurse/ cop at the end of a 12 shift

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #8522 on: February 24, 2018, 10:57:13 am »

I rather not see a doctor/ nurse/ cop at the end of a 12 shift

near the end of the shift, they don't want to write the ticket.  they are parked in plazas. 

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #8523 on: February 24, 2018, 11:01:23 am »
I can see the struggle - still, 4 days off in a row doesn't sound like a bad thing. My FIL used to do shift work, almost always night shift too. I remember when I first started dating Mrs.Firm I'd be rolling up to pick her up for the evening and he'd be heading to work, with younger kids (she was the oldest) I don't know how he did it.

I am not shift work (straight salary), but my weekday schedule is pretty freaking sad at the moment:
6am-8am: Commute
8am-5:30pm: Work
5:30pm-7pm: Commute
7pm-8pm: Dinner, change, household chores, shower etc
8pm-11pm: Work

I used to take work home maybe 1-2 nights a week, but for about a year or so (in line with my last promotion) it's been pretty consistent every night....I put up with it for awhile knowing that I was creating opportunities for my career, but recently I've signaled that I've had enough, especially with the baby on the way. Work has been relatively understanding and have agreed to hire me some additional support; but there's still at least a few months before we get role filled and people trained.

I don't regret taking on what I have as the gains have been worth it, but there's no doubt that it takes it's toll. I am always tired, and my interest/enthusiasm in stuff that I love (i.e. the car stuff) has decreased dramatically. I am looking forward to getting at least some of my life back soon.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #8524 on: February 24, 2018, 11:07:54 am »
Dude, I'd rather fall eyeball first on a fork than take on your morning commute, much less add in another one after work.  Insane.  Hope you're able to make changes.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #8525 on: February 24, 2018, 11:20:36 am »
Dude, I'd rather fall eyeball first on a fork than take on your morning commute, much less add in another one after work.  Insane.  Hope you're able to make changes.
Yeah, I agree!! I hate staying at work past 4pm, never mind what you do! And if my commute home is more than 25mins, I'm losing my sh!t, lol! My ideal shift is 7:30 - 3:30, this way I'm not up too early, but get outta work early enough to do stuff after work, skiing, golf, etc..

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #8526 on: February 24, 2018, 11:32:03 am »
My morning commute is about 12 min, unless daughter misses the school bus, then it’s 22 mins.

2hours would kill me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #8527 on: February 24, 2018, 11:40:59 am »
About 30-45 minutes of those 2 hours right now is because I drop Mrs.Firm off at her office, which is a short but congested detour. She's done work at the end of April, so that'll stop and I'll save a 'bit' of time.

A move, further north (Innisfil area) is in the plan for next year; with just me commuting I'd rather move out to a more rural/semi-rural area. Also, the difference in housing costs (assuming a reasonably static market until then) would work to our advantage, so I could get the garage/property I want and be mortgage free. Monitoring the commute times via google, it looks like I'd be traveling a greater distance, but in a similar amount of time.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #8528 on: February 24, 2018, 06:57:32 pm »

Yep, X100000000000000
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #8529 on: February 24, 2018, 06:59:20 pm »
My morning commute is about 12 min, unless daughter misses the school bus, then it’s 22 mins.

2hours would kill me.

Mine is about 12 mins as well.  I got quite spoiled working from home for close to a decade both with my IT job and my brewery, and sadly enough, it took a little getting used to even with my 12 min commute to the new brewery.  lol

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #8530 on: February 24, 2018, 07:04:28 pm »
My commute is 30-40 minutes each way.

It's part of my day I look forward to. I quite like my drive to/from work.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Online JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #8531 on: February 24, 2018, 07:32:00 pm »
Can't relate to these long shifts and crazy hours at work.  I'm lucky to be working in a job I like for a total of 36.25 hours per week.  I never have to work longer and rarely think about work when I'm off.  I'm also about a dozen minutes from work and leave for work early to avoid traffic and leave work before the rush.

That being said I live in a laid back province and make fractions of what others make in the big cities in Ontario and out west. 

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8532 on: February 24, 2018, 07:33:58 pm »

Can't relate to these long shifts and crazy hours at work.  I'm lucky to be working in a job I like for a total of 36.25 hours per week.  I never have to work longer and rarely think about work when I'm off.  I'm also about a dozen minutes from work and leave for work early to avoid traffic and leave work before the rush.

That being said I live in a laid back province and make fractions of what others make in the big cities in Ontario and out west.

Yep!

No more crazy hours for me. I put my time in...

I work 32-40 hours now.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #8533 on: February 24, 2018, 09:49:26 pm »
belonging in the happy thread, I might have found a temporary and then a permanent job in Ottawa working at the Canadian War Museum. Fantastic.  ;D

on the very, very sad and angry front, I might be heading for a divorce [sorry if TMI, but you [we?] all are a great community of friends here so I thought I would share]. Been together for 15 years. Any advice to get the marriage back on track?  :brkhrt:
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 10:22:29 pm by ChaosphereIX »
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
« Reply #8534 on: February 24, 2018, 09:52:21 pm »
belonging in the happy thread, I might have found a temporary and then a permanent job working in Ottawa working at the Canadian War Museum. Fantastic.  ;D

on the very, very sad and angry front, I might be heading for a divorce [sorry if TMI, but you [we?] all are a great community of friends here so I thought I would share]. Been together for 15 years. Any advice to get the marriage back on track?  :brkhrt:

Great news on the possible new job in Ottawa, sounds like its right up your alley, Chaos!

Sorry to hear about the potential divorce though.  I won't pretend to offer any advice as I've never been through it, but I hope that it works out well for you.  Cheers. 

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8535 on: February 24, 2018, 10:39:16 pm »
belonging in the happy thread, I might have found a temporary and then a permanent job in Ottawa working at the Canadian War Museum. Fantastic.  ;D

Joint counseling.

You'll know pretty quick if the relationship is salvageable.

Have been though a couple of breakups (including catching wife of 3 weeks plowing her personal trainer). Sometimes it's for the best.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 10:42:03 pm by rrocket »

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #8536 on: February 24, 2018, 10:44:47 pm »
Hope you can head off the divorce, if it is good for you both to stay together.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #8537 on: February 24, 2018, 11:28:34 pm »
Sorry to hear about the relationship issue, but the War Museum is pretty amazing, I imagine right up your alley.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #8538 on: February 25, 2018, 08:36:23 am »
Bummer, after living apart for 3.5 years it with take some work to get  in sync with each other
Wishing you the best

Online JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #8539 on: February 25, 2018, 08:56:23 am »
Been with my wife for almost half my life (18 years and I'm only 37).  I guess the question you should be asking is do you want to salvage the relationship. If yes I'd express that with her and see if she is on the same page.  Counselling is a must as communication is key.  What I have learned in my relationship is you need to work on it.  If you don't put the effort in you won't have a lasting relationship.  Also that happiness is very much so a choice, anyone can focus on the negative in their life but being thankful for the positives is a much better way of living.  It's easier for us as we don't have kids and have the time and energy to focus on our relationship.

I wish you luck in this and congrats on the new job.