Author Topic: Little things that make you happy  (Read 2252352 times)

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-375
    • View Profile
Re: Little things that make you happy
« Reply #6580 on: September 21, 2017, 09:08:46 am »
I got the month of Sept free and my first gas bill in Oct is something like $70.  After that we're estimated at $235/mo.  I don't mind getting one month free at the end of the billing cycle, it's better than having them underestimate and having to pay for 2 more months I didn't see coming.

Offline valuator

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #6581 on: September 21, 2017, 11:59:11 am »
This is what my childhood sounded like....and how we've largely tried to raise the boy.  I think we get more flack from other parents than we do from the kid about this...

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/joanna-myers/kids-are-missing-out-on-the-good-old-fashioned-childhood-we-once-had_a_23214255/?utm_hp_ref=ca-homepage

Sounds like my childhood too.  I walked 15-20 minutes to school by myself starting in 1st grade.  Had the run of the neighbourhood on my bike with my friends soon after.  I thrived and survived!

So much peer pressure from other parents today for everything to be structured and highly supervised.  We decided our 3-year old is too young to have her evenings booked up with planned activities....she can do gymnastics and dance on Saturday mornings, but we want to keep what little time there is on weeknights available for her to play in the yard or really whatever she wants.  Kids have no time to be kids anymore.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #6582 on: September 21, 2017, 12:22:29 pm »
Winnipeg Goldeyes Win 2017 American Association Championship!

The Winnipeg Goldeyes beat the Wichita Wingnuts 18-2 in Game Five of the American Association Championship Series at Shaw Park on Wednesday night.

The Goldeyes win the best-of-five series 3-2 and are the 2017 American Association champions.

http://goldeyes.com/goldeyes-win-2017-american-association-championship/

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #6583 on: September 21, 2017, 12:29:43 pm »
$17 union gas bill! Probably the lowest I have ever had.

Thought this number looked weird.  I confirmed, and I am on equal monthly billing, of $64.  Not sure why this one is only $17?  But it is still the lowest consumption I have ever had 30.5 m3 in the last 3 years...
What do you have running on gas
Besides the furnace , we have gas hot water tank, BBQ, gas dryer and stove

We have the furnace, and hot water tank only.   Tomorrow my new Weber Genesis is getting installed (via natural gas), and I will have him add a tee or whatever so I change my dryer to natural gas next spring. 

Stove is not a possibility, due to the layout of the kitchen.  Nothing is impossible I guess, but the work to have it vented properly, would be worth more than the stove.  And I love the double oven with this range. 

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #6584 on: September 21, 2017, 12:52:10 pm »
This is what my childhood sounded like....and how we've largely tried to raise the boy.  I think we get more flack from other parents than we do from the kid about this...

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/joanna-myers/kids-are-missing-out-on-the-good-old-fashioned-childhood-we-once-had_a_23214255/?utm_hp_ref=ca-homepage

Sounds like my childhood too.  I walked 15-20 minutes to school by myself starting in 1st grade.  Had the run of the neighbourhood on my bike with my friends soon after.  I thrived and survived!

So much peer pressure from other parents today for everything to be structured and highly supervised.  We decided our 3-year old is too young to have her evenings booked up with planned activities....she can do gymnastics and dance on Saturday mornings, but we want to keep what little time there is on weeknights available for her to play in the yard or really whatever she wants.  Kids have no time to be kids anymore.
You have your 3 year old in dance and gymnastics already  :o
What wrong with unplanned stuff , just let kids be kids

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #6585 on: September 21, 2017, 01:47:03 pm »
i agree, but my wife does not.... has to impress all those other ladies on the mom groups... so our 2.5 year old is in dance, our 4 year old will be going for his yellow belt in the near future, both are involved in music lessons and all that fun stuff...

she wonders why she feels busy... because all these scheduled "playtimes" are annoying! 
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #6586 on: September 21, 2017, 03:29:00 pm »
Tomorrow my new Weber Genesis is getting installed (via natural gas), and I will have him add a tee or whatever so I change my dryer to natural gas next spring.

Nice! Going for the good stuff I see.

Our old Broil King caught fire after I replaced the burner and did a sloppy job of cleaning out the tub. Was looking at a replacement and the Genesis was very highly rated.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6587 on: September 21, 2017, 07:05:44 pm »
Tomorrow my new Weber Genesis is getting installed (via natural gas), and I will have him add a tee or whatever so I change my dryer to natural gas next spring.

Nice! Going for the good stuff I see.

Our old Broil King caught fire after I replaced the burner and did a sloppy job of cleaning out the tub. Was looking at a replacement and the Genesis was very highly rated.

I am actually quite lucky.  A client of mine (her husband died about 1 year ago), decided to sell her rather large house.  She was having a moving sell, bedroom sets, living room furniture, dining room furniture.  Anyway, I made out with a 2 year old Weber Genesis BBQ  (about $1000 new) that looks brand new, 2 sling style loungers (about $250 each new), and a large outdoor rug (about $100).  I paid $400 total.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #6588 on: September 21, 2017, 10:31:01 pm »
Would be interested what you think of it. Turned out Broil King was OK, but it is 15 years old and we barbecue almost every day so it's going to have to be changed up sometime.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #6589 on: September 21, 2017, 10:35:16 pm »
Would be interested what you think of it. Turned out Broil King was OK, but it is 15 years old and we barbecue almost every day so it's going to have to be changed up sometime.

I love my Napoleon.

But here are some top budget picks:

Broil King Signet 320
Weber Spirit 310
Napoleon Rogue 425
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #6590 on: September 21, 2017, 10:45:14 pm »
I honestly don't think I could go back to a gas grill now. 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6591 on: September 21, 2017, 11:06:12 pm »

I go back and forth trying to decide.  I consider getting charcoal....because charcoal!!..but I already have a smoker (which does a better smoking job IMO)..and the ease of the gas grill is nice.

I've been waffling about getting a new grill for the last year or so.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #6592 on: September 21, 2017, 11:13:05 pm »

I go back and forth trying to decide.  I consider getting charcoal....because charcoal!!..but I already have a smoker (which does a better smoking job IMO)..and the ease of the gas grill is nice.

Once you go charcoal, you won't go back, I'd bet money on it.  As far as ease of use, I've never found it to be much time consuming to heat up.  I assume that's what you mean when you say "ease of gas grill". 

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6593 on: September 21, 2017, 11:52:46 pm »

Once you go charcoal, you won't go back, I'd bet money on it.  As far as ease of use, I've never found it to be much time consuming to heat up.  I assume that's what you mean when you say "ease of gas grill".
I don't know that charcoal will sway me as I've cooked with it before. And the way I do my steaks (smoke first, then sear on grill to finish) would have no benefit with charcoal IMO.

My buddy has a Kamado Joe which I quite like but while it's not hard or super time consuming to get it going...it's just not as easy or convenient as gas. I have another buddy with a Napoleon with an infra red sear area...and man, doors it get HOT quick and it's the best sear I've seen yet. Not idea beyond that how great/bad infrared is. He swears by it..but again, he also has a very nice smoker.

I think MAYBE if I didn't already have a world class smoker something like a Kamado might be more compelling.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
« Reply #6594 on: September 22, 2017, 02:12:41 am »
The Grill Grate cover rrocket pointed me too really revolutionized how I barbecue. We do a lot of vegetables on it and I'd forgotten how much better it was until I tried on my brothers conventional grill surface and burned half of them.

Some of the funky new things we tried growing this summer like Kamo-Kamo and Tatutume really shone on the grill, turn all buttery

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6595 on: September 22, 2017, 08:41:59 am »
The Grill Grate cover rrocket pointed me too really revolutionized how I barbecue. We do a lot of vegetables on it and I'd forgotten how much better it was until I tried on my brothers conventional grill surface and burned half of them.

Some of the funky new things we tried growing this summer like Kamo-Kamo and Tatutume really shone on the grill, turn all buttery
Yea, that's one product that falls under "way better than expected" and "must have".

Glad you like them...I like them too!

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6596 on: September 22, 2017, 08:45:02 am »

I will let you know in a few days.  Doubt it will be using much this weekend.  Not really going to be around.  Having a BBQ  party the following weekend though. 

Offline valuator

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #6597 on: September 22, 2017, 10:18:19 am »

You have your 3 year old in dance and gymnastics already  :o
What wrong with unplanned stuff , just let kids be kids

She loves both....if she didn't we'd find something else she enjoyed.  Both are only 45 minute groups.  She's made some friends too, which is nice since we live in a mature neighbourhood.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #6598 on: September 22, 2017, 11:39:07 am »

What is this device of which you speak?

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #6599 on: September 22, 2017, 02:17:22 pm »
Nothing like a blast down a gravel road to clear the head

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Lighten up Francis.....