Author Topic: 2014 Audi A3 2.0 AND BMW M235 Automatic.  (Read 6805 times)

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
2014 Audi A3 2.0 AND BMW M235 Automatic.
« on: April 21, 2014, 11:43:18 pm »
being an attention wh0re that i am ;) ;D ;D, and my endless needs to provide my fellow forum members with useless information about cars i test drive,

I met up with my bff after work and headed over to local Audi dealership.

A4, 2.0T with dual clutch auto.
first of all, i really liked this car from the auto show.  its interiors were maybe half a step above its competitors at the auto show, and this time in its own show room without its competitors present, it almost looks flawless.

and it has clever LED headlight that uses reflectors, instead of more expensive looking(and probably more expensive to build) individually projected LEDs used on A7's and such. 

I like the implementation, but don't like the look, unfortunately.

and the interior.. wow.  so clean and well fitted together, rich looking and feeling.  the steering wheel is magnificent.
the room inside is pretty good.  feels just a little bigger than my old MK 4 Jetta side to side, and got little bit more leg room in the back.  my head does touch the roof though, in the back seat.  the sunroof is huge and everything feels like it is just right.  ..i don't know how Audi continues to pull this off with interiors.   i didn't think the road noise intrusion was bad at all, but my buddy who drives loaded Santa Fe(and 128 before that) thinks it is kinda noisy.  the stereo was great.  not a squeak from the interior, heavy thunking doors...  GAAWD i like german cars....
overall interior 9 /10

the drive. 
power is ...entirely adequate.  i think that's the best way to put it.  doesn't feel underpowered, nor overpowered at any point.   7 /10
handling feel ..solid, if a bit disconnected.  but still highly intuitive.  7.5 / 10
the ride is a typical german, but polished.  it never feels harsh, but it doesn't float.  bumps and dips are flattened out, but you can feel them in the seat of the pants. not harsh, mind you, but lets you know what's going on.  i was really impressed with the ride.  i thought it would ride harder.   8 / 10

the seats.  great.  great looking and feeling seats.   i give it a solid 8 /10.

pricing is decent as well, if you don't nuts on options.
36k to start and you can cut it below 45.               rating  6 / 10

PDI and freight : 2k.
overall, i give it a solid 8 /10.   

then we headed over to the BMW dealership where i got my old E46 from. 
Same sales guy brought out the grey M235 with 8 speed Auto and let me go at it.

exterior.   I like the look of this car ..more than A3.    A3 is... very sedate (somewhat boring) looking.
this one is more exciting.  well proportioned.  very athletic.  only weakness would be its rear...   8 / 10

interior.   somewhat disappointing after A3..  keep in mind, this thing costs over 10k more than A3 at base. with the exception to the steering wheel and seats which are equal to A3 (seats were even better) everything else just doesn't feel like premium .    i should clarify.  everything IS premium on M235..  it's just not premium enough for that much money. (for me)
overall interior   7 /10,   
Seats.. sports seats were FANTASTIC.  felt like it was molded for me.  9 /10

gears.   the 8 speed auto was almost flawless.   downshifts were seamless and lightening fast.  upshifts were smooth and  really not noticeable.   9 /10

power..   OMG, the power..   this thing's midrange is monstrous.  initially i thought this single turbo was somewhat less ...enthusiastic than N54 twins.  maybe it is, at low end.. but the midrange to mid upper, this thing pulls like it's shot off a catapult.   i've always liked the turbo sixes, and this one did not disappoint.   
One Caveat.   I think it's just about as fast as my current car.  and i FEEL my car is faster in third gear ripping thru 140km/h mark (would be about 6k rpm).   not that I ever went that fast in my life.    ;)
it does have some lag.  (not sure if this is turbo lag or transmission dropping gears..., but there's this minuscule lag between my foot hitting the floor and the car launching forward)
powerplant ..  9 / 10

handling & steering ..   it understeers a little.   and steering definitely feels more disconnected than my M.   my M will shout at top of its lungs thru steering wheel what the heck is going on.   this one merely hints..   it's like, someone sitting 2 chairs away is saying something, and it gets filtered by 2 people sitting inbetween that person and you.  but it will still change directions like a dung fly and stick to the road like fat guy to a free donut(i kid i kid) 7.5 / 10

braking.  powerful. 

ride..   actually excellent.  (it had optional  NON run flat.)  i would rate this 8.5 /10

price.   3 / 10.  base price is 45k.   if it was 45 out the door, it would be a bargain.   45 plus fees, PDI, GST and we are looking at 52k as real base price.  add couple of options befitting a luxury car and it will very VERY easily eclipse the 60k mark.

PDI & Freight  : 2.5k.
Overall          : 7 / 10

after today's drives, .. i would have to say, i prefer the Audi.   more practical, better interior, good enough driving characteristics and cheaper to boot!.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 11:54:20 pm by aquadorhj »

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline normancw

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +125/-132
    • View Profile
Re: 2014 Audi A3 2.0 AND BMW M235 Automatic.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 12:07:54 am »
 :thumbup:  Thanks for the review!
Don't fight it.  The sooner you get it the better.
― rrocket

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 12:16:36 am »
Great! Now go review the CLA45 AMG! ;D
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 07:47:41 am »
Nice set of test drives, thanks for putting this together and posting.
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 07:55:36 am »
Excellent review and carma applaud worthy.

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 08:12:22 am »
Love your reviews. Thanks for these. These are very interesting new cars.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 09:14:33 am »
One final remark.

Exhaust sound .   driving good cars is about experience.  not a single aspect but everything combined.  and driving sporty cars, engine and exhaust note is one of the important aspects that can tip the scale in favor of 1 or the other.

Sounds
Audi A4 2.0T    :  5 /10  it is subdued, fairly refined and unobtrusive.

BMW M235  :     8 /10  one of the gnarliest sounding turbo straight sixes i've heard.    exhaust rumbles to life.  (of course, it ain't V8, but for a 6, it sounds GREAT) and engine noise is deep and thrumming but it becomes ferocious as you rev it out.     

for reference my E46 M3 :  5 / 10 at idle.     8.5 / 10 at red line.

Great! Now go review the CLA45 AMG! ;D
:o :o
yeah, no... ... or maybe.  ;D ;D

Thanks for the kudos, guys.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 09:36:40 am »
Tough job, but somebody's gotta do it.   :thumbup:
Pretty sure I couldn't say no to that 235, even with the price difference.   I don't dare step into a dealership.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 11:42:40 am »
Pretty sure I couldn't say no to that 235, even with the price difference.   I don't dare step into a dealership.

yeah.. the power is intoxicating.   

BUT...  i was kinda disappointed  overall with the BMW.

the steering was the biggest disappointment and then the price.   and BMW's shameless application of ///M badges for this car is appalling.

the 3 biggest improvements over 135 i feel, are exterior appearance, interior and ditching of run-flat.   it's not enough of difference than 135 to justify this many ///M badges...   

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 12:09:53 pm »
The M235 is certainly a niche type of car. On paper, it has everything: Small coupe, RWD, manual. Everything you need in a sports coupe.

However, and these are just my impressions, because its small and somewhat awkward looking from some angles, family type drivers will revert back to the 335i (like me), people looking for a coupe will be drawn to the sleeker looking and frankly not that much more expensive 4 series. This leaves a somewhat small market of those looking for a track oriented sports car. There you're competing with the likes of Caymans (used) and Corvettes. It will be interesting how successful this car will be.

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 10:19:39 pm »

the steering was the biggest disappointment and then the price.   and BMW's shameless application of ///M badges for this car is appalling.

the 3 biggest improvements over 135 i feel, are exterior appearance, interior and ditching of run-flat.   it's not enough of difference than 135 to justify this many ///M badges...

They are trying to (over) milk the M badge for profit. They see Audi selling all these S-Line cars and making $$ and they want to have a piece of that pie.

They are also now putting M badges on M Sport cars (ones with only aesthetic changes) - e.g. 4 series with M Sport. I know they did that before, but now they're showing up on the exterior as well.

The more you dilute the badge, the less the badge will mean. I think they're short sighted. 

p.s. Audi may be selling a lot of S-Line badged cars, and Mercedes AMG appearance packages... But I don't see Audi plastering "RS" badges or Mercedes "AMG" badges on their regular series cars.

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 10:30:17 pm »

I also wanted to remark that M Division (the real one, not the M Badges Division) have said that their #1 focus for the new M3/M4 was the steering feel.  BMW enthusiasts let out a collective sigh of relief. And have hope again. The electric steering on the new series cars and "M Performance but-not-real-M-cars cars" (i.e. M235) is probably the aspect that is most (relatively) disappointing of the new generations.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 10:33:44 pm »
AMG badges have made their way onto the rear end of various "vanilla" MBs, though its been fairly rare*. There are plenty of AMG-logo'ed wheels of course, which is subtle enough to be fine.

*The only instance that comes to mind is the 08-09 CLK, and then only in Canada I think! Mine was a 07 and didn't have the badge.

At least the AMG owner can rest assured that his/her car will have the very exclusive "6.3" or, now, "V8 Biturbo" decal on the side.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2014, 10:58:00 pm »
AMG badges have made their way onto the rear end of various "vanilla" MBs, though its been fairly rare*. There are plenty of AMG-logo'ed wheels of course, which is subtle enough to be fine.

*The only instance that comes to mind is the 08-09 CLK, and then only in Canada I think! Mine was a 07 and didn't have the badge.

At least the AMG owner can rest assured that his/her car will have the very exclusive "6.3" or, now, "V8 Biturbo" decal on the side.

Interesting, I didn't know about that AMG exception.

BMW is now slapping M badges on the sides of certain M Sport cars.

And then adding an additional M badge to the trunks of the "M Performance" line of cars.

------------------------------------------------------

Can you imagine an Audi with the badge "RS5". Called an "RS car"

And then an Audi with the badge "RS500". Called an "RS Performance car"?

And it's the first one that is more the performance car.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2014, 10:30:06 am »

And then adding an additional M badge to the trunks of the "M Performance" line of cars.

For some reason this reminds me of the way the Germans, every few months, used to add 3 or 4 zeros to the back end of Mark notes during the post WW1 hyper inflation days. Eventually ended up with a 100 Trillion Mark note. :)

100,000,000,000,000 M.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2014, 10:50:55 am »
^^ I've got a few 100 trillion dollar banknotes from Zimbabwe. Bought them from a guy who apparently grabbed a suitcase full of them from a garbage can in Harare or wherever.

And these were new, uncirculated bills - worthless before anyone could even get a chance to use them. It would be hilarious if it wasn't so sad and scary.  :-\

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2014, 08:17:04 pm »

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/mercedes-plans-c450-amg-sport-2015

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2014, 08:35:16 pm »
^^ I've got a few 100 trillion dollar banknotes from Zimbabwe. Bought them from a guy who apparently grabbed a suitcase full of them from a garbage can in Harare or wherever.

And these were new, uncirculated bills - worthless before anyone could even get a chance to use them. It would be hilarious if it wasn't so sad and scary.  :-\

Poor old Rhodesia....From the jewel of southern Africa to failed state in little more than a generation.  :(
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2014, 08:43:38 pm »

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/mercedes-plans-c450-amg-sport-2015

Man, what's with these manufacturers(!)

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2014, 09:03:07 pm »
The blitzkrieg of new performance cars and SUV's from Germany in the past few years is not letting up. Japan and Korea don't stand a chance.