Author Topic: Hyundai Kona confirmed for Canada  (Read 13721 times)

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
Re: Hyundai Kona confirmed for Canada
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2017, 12:40:00 pm »
Aw, the Jeep Cherokee and Toyota C-HR had a baby!

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +85/-815
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Mazda CX-30 GS FWD - Snowflake white
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2017, 11:50:50 am »
now at least acknowledge on the Hyundai Canada website, but just a brief video and no details (just a sign up if interested)

https://hyundaiautocanada.com/kona/

will be available in early 2018

(no mention of it on the US website in the "future vehicles" section)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 11:52:47 am by conwelpic »

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2017, 09:24:17 am »
CX-3 is still the one to get in the segment, IMO.

Or X1 if one 'needs' the badge appeal AND is leasing.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2017, 07:29:50 am »

:winner: 

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2017, 11:03:36 pm »
https://gas2.org/2017/10/06/hyundai-kona-electric-suv-two-batteries-210-mile-range/
Now we're tawkin'

https://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?topic=98743.msg1282699#msg1282699

Last week http://www.automobilemag.com/news/gm-launch-least-20-new-battery-electrics-fuel-cell-models-2023
Is the "twin" mentioned by gas2.org article related that recent announcement of 2 new Chevrolet Bolt-based battery-electric vehicles within next 18 months?

2 months ago https://insideevs.com/exclusive-next-gm-ev-to-be-bolt-based-buick-crossover/

LG has got into the powertrain business big time, as seen in the Bolt. So, no wonder they might help out the bros at Hyundai:
"What is interesting about the Kona is that much of its powertrain comes from LG Chem, the same folks who provide the motor and battery for the Chevy Bolt. In fact, the motor for the Kona is the same 204 horsepower unit found in the Bolt. The battery size of the Kona is just slightly larger than that supplied to General Motors for use in the Bolt."

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2017, 10:45:00 am »
October 12 - video review from Australia (Auto Expert - John Cadogan)

https://youtu.be/E4D7Mzc9Hvw

Offline CarFly

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-6
  • Cars: Good times:) Bad investment ;/
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MG Midget, Ford Falcon, Mazda RX-experimental rotary engine, Pontiac Firebird 350, Yamaha 500cc, Yamaha 850cc, Harley-Davidson LowRider 1340cc, VW Beetle, Mazda 3, Pontiac Sunfire 2.4 GT Coupe
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2017, 02:08:53 am »
The Hyundai Kona interests me because I would like to have a smaller SUV/Crossover that has AWD and good HP, it seems that all the other (Cute-Utes) have insufficient HP for me, 142-150HP.

Most of the time I'm driving alone from work and back and don't need much cargo space, it seems that there is no vehicle out there that satisfies to my need for AWD and respectable HP.

I was hopeful about the Subaru Crosstrek, except it is the SLOWEST vehicle on the road and they will never put a turbo in it... Dogs were catching up with me!

I hope that the Kona turns out well, but it may take a few production years to work the "bugs" out of it...No?

LETS' DO THE "TIME WARP"... AGAIN!!!

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2017, 09:08:58 am »
The Hyundai Kona interests me because I would like to have a smaller SUV/Crossover that has AWD and good HP, it seems that all the other (Cute-Utes) have insufficient HP for me, 142-150HP.

Most of the time I'm driving alone from work and back and don't need much cargo space, it seems that there is no vehicle out there that satisfies to my need for AWD and respectable HP.

I was hopeful about the Subaru Crosstrek, except it is the SLOWEST vehicle on the road and they will never put a turbo in it... Dogs were catching up with me!

I hope that the Kona turns out well, but it may take a few production years to work the "bugs" out of it...No?

How about an AWD VW Sportwagen?  Decent HP, somewhat lower $$ (Manual AWD trendline starts at $25,695 MSRP), and have more utility than a small CUV.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2017, 11:32:50 am »

Or X1 if one 'needs' the badge appeal AND is leasing.

there are a few new entrants....we need a new comparison to confirm that.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12352
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2017, 12:11:41 pm »
CX3 on looks by a mile but it is pretty cramped inside. Hope the Kona will be better in that regard.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline CarFly

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MG Midget, Ford Falcon, Mazda RX-experimental rotary engine, Pontiac Firebird 350, Yamaha 500cc, Yamaha 850cc, Harley-Davidson LowRider 1340cc, VW Beetle, Mazda 3, Pontiac Sunfire 2.4 GT Coupe
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2017, 01:47:36 pm »

How about an AWD VW Sportwagen?  Decent HP, somewhat lower $$ (Manual AWD trendline starts at $25,695 MSRP), and have more utility than a small CUV.
Thats a possibility but they give it quite bad review for reliability in Consumer Reports Mag, I would be afraid of frequent expensive visits to the Dealership/mechanic. Somehow VWs' have gained a reputation of being a fussy high maintenance car altho I don't know anyone who owns one? I like the AWD and the HP... but the maintenance...?

Offline CarFly

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2017, 02:09:00 pm »
CX3 on looks by a mile but it is pretty cramped inside. Hope the Kona will be better in that regard.
I don't mind that the CX3 may be a bit cramped inside, I like the AWD, it looks OK, but it only has 146HP, I am not a 'Hot-Dog' driver but I would not be satisfied with 146HP.

There is a hole in this segment of 'vehicles/CUTE-UTES' just not enoughHP. I hope that the Kona fills the void and other manufactures follow suit, they will sell more CUTE-UTES than they already do... If they get it right :-)  More HP please :-)

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2017, 02:23:45 pm »

Thats a possibility but they give it quite bad review for reliability in Consumer Reports Mag, I would be afraid of frequent expensive visits to the Dealership/mechanic. Somehow VWs' have gained a reputation of being a fussy high maintenance car altho I don't know anyone who owns one? I like the AWD and the HP... but the maintenance...?

Thinking about small CUV's that have decent HP and the only one I can think of is the Nissan Juke and maybe the Jeep Renegade.

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2017, 10:36:01 am »
details are not yet confirmed for the Canadian version of the Kona but from what I can find out I believe it will be offered in two engine sizes - 2.0L Atkinson-cycle at 147 hp and the other a 1.6L turbo at 175 hp.

The Ford Ecosport is offered in a 1.0L ecoboost (turbo) at 123 hp and a 2.0L at 167 hp.

The Kona is nearly the same size as my Soul

length:  Kona - 164"; Soul - 163"; Ecosport - 161.3"; C-HR - 171.7"; HR-V - 169.1"; CX-3 - 168.3"; Renegade - 166.6

height:  Kona  - 61"; Soul - 63"; Ecosport - 65.1"; C-HR - 64.8"; HR-V - 63.2"; CX-3 - 60.9"; Renegade - 65.5"

Wheelbase:  Kona - 102.4"; Soul - 101.2"; Ecosport - 99.2"; C-HR - 103.9"; HR-V - 102.8";  CX-3 - 101.2"; Renegade 101.2"

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12352
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2017, 01:19:19 pm »
The small turbo should prove to be a good match for that car.

Offline CarFly

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2017, 02:46:33 am »
~164" long - that thing is SHORT - ~5" shorter than the HRV!  Great that they include the "hi-po" 1.6T as an option...it'd be a dog like its competitors (HRV, Crosstrek, notably) in terms of power otherwise.  7.7s isn't quick, but respectable in any event.  I can't figure out if the lowbeams are LED (available or otherwise), or whether it's just the DRLs and turn signals.  I think the latter.

Ok...the styling.  I think there was an orgy of the Jeep Cherokee with the Crosstrek and the CH-R.  I'm seriously not crazy about it at all, nor likening it to "Ironman". 

Why is it so difficult to produce a HUD on the windshield?  Mazda, and now Hyundai - how much cheaper can it possibly be to produce an image on the windshield instead of having a mechanism to raise and lower a glass screen?  I don't get it.

Typical Hyundai, this one will be crap in its lower trims, but really nice once decked out...but I'm guessing that'll be $37,000 or so (since the Tucson tops $41k loaded - and this can be had with the same powertrain, but slightly smaller package).

I like it, but the final details will matter a lot.

If it turns out to be around $37,000 with the nice stuff on it (AWD Turbo) then forget about it, whats' the point. It is an unproven vehicle and could turn out to be a $37,000 joke (on you). I hear that their warranty is quite lame, you have to bring your Hyundai in for a day so they can assess if the work to be done is covered under their warranty, if they decide that it is, then you get have to bring your car in again on another day to have the warranty work done, after all that... the guy at the service desk "BEGGs" you for a high score on the customer satisfaction survey. My pal has bought two expensive Hyundais but will never buy one again because of their dishonest and manipulative warranty practices.  My pal is a rather passive guy... Until he starts talking about the bogus Hyundai warranty.  :rofl2:

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2018, 07:31:54 pm »
Jan19 - video review (17 min)

https://youtu.be/LwSAollzXn0

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2018, 09:16:36 am »
Why is it so difficult to produce a HUD on the windshield?  Mazda, and now Hyundai - how much cheaper can it possibly be to produce an image on the windshield instead of having a mechanism to raise and lower a glass screen?  I don't get it.

On glass HUD is a $1000-1500 option on these luxury cars. That’s a huge chunk of change for economy cars. The on screen option is likely significantly less money to produce and has the same results — displays numbers that look like they’re floating 50m in from of you.