Author Topic: Selfies - WTF?  (Read 3402 times)

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-375
    • View Profile
Re: Selfies - WTF?
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2017, 11:45:36 pm »
When my oldest was in the US last year, he did a lot of traveling on his days off...my wife wanted pics, and please include some of you in the photos too! 

What'd he do? His selfies were pictures looking forward, with his feet in the bottom of the photo.  Stream? Feet. Bridge? Feet hanging off looking down. Mountains in the background? Feet at the bottom.  I laughed.  He's funny.

He finally conceded a real selfie or two, but got someone else to take them for him.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2017, 12:01:17 am »
Someone taking a photo of you is not a selfie.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2017, 12:03:07 am »
I am on the younger side of this forum I think, but even this hippie millennial agrees that selfies are fracking stupid
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2017, 12:18:30 am »

That's how much he doesn't like selfies. Mom wants a picture...here, can you take it, please. It was still a picture of hisself.  ;D

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2017, 10:12:19 am »
Not only the selfies, but just having to record every damn thing that happens in your life.

...and thinking people give a flying f*uck what they're doing every moment of their day....

Certainly not every moment, but in my group of friends we do care. If one of us is traveling the others enjoy seeing what we're doing, what bar we've discovered, what awesome food we've found. It's fun.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2017, 11:52:44 am »
Thanks for getting this :censor: stuck in my head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdemFfbS5H0

I think I've only ever taken one picture of myself. My daughter doesn't seem to do the selfie thing either.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2017, 11:59:03 am »
I take one "having drink at the pool bar at 10am on a monday" on every vacation we've been on to :censor: off all my buddies that didn't come  ;D Because swerver
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2017, 12:07:10 pm »
This reminds me of when I did one of the very first tours of the Human Rights museum in Winnipeg a couple of years ago.  This building:

So, the building was 99% complete, and for 2 days they were offering public guided tours through the facility prior to the grand opening.  They were whirlwind tours that went through approximately 50% of the building, and focused a lot on the (very impressive) architecture.  I took my family, including my mother-in-law.  My MIL spent the entire tour filming it on her iPhone.  In other words, she was experiencing this very wonderful and impressive building through a 3" screen.  For what?  To view crappy cell-phone footage later?  I, on the other hand, left my phone in my pocket the entire time, save for a couple of photos of the most impressive elements.  I chose to actually take in all that I saw with my eyes, and have the memories to enjoy at a later time. 

I just don't get this fascination of recording everything, instead of experiencing it firsthand. 

Another thing is my kid opening gifts.  My wife wants to record my daughter's reaction when she's opening presents.  I'd rather just see it first hand, and enjoy it at the time.  I couldn't care less to take pictures.  I think this is shown by the types of pictures on my phone.  I use my camera for useful things, like taking pictures when selling an item online, or taking a picture of something so I can remember it later (like the spec number of a part that I'm replacing on a dryer).  There aren't a lot of 'people' pictures on my phone.  Mostly, they're just pictures of things.  Maybe this represents the fact that I'm not a people person.  Or maybe it means I prefer to have my experiences up front, instead of saving them for later.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2017, 12:27:17 pm »
This reminds me of when I did one of the very first tours of the Human Rights museum in Winnipeg a couple of years ago.  This building:

So, the building was 99% complete, and for 2 days they were offering public guided tours through the facility prior to the grand opening.  They were whirlwind tours that went through approximately 50% of the building, and focused a lot on the (very impressive) architecture.  I took my family, including my mother-in-law.  My MIL spent the entire tour filming it on her iPhone.  In other words, she was experiencing this very wonderful and impressive building through a 3" screen.  For what?  To view crappy cell-phone footage later?  I, on the other hand, left my phone in my pocket the entire time, save for a couple of photos of the most impressive elements.  I chose to actually take in all that I saw with my eyes, and have the memories to enjoy at a later time. 

I just don't get this fascination of recording everything, instead of experiencing it firsthand. 

Another thing is my kid opening gifts.  My wife wants to record my daughter's reaction when she's opening presents.  I'd rather just see it first hand, and enjoy it at the time.  I couldn't care less to take pictures.  I think this is shown by the types of pictures on my phone.  I use my camera for useful things, like taking pictures when selling an item online, or taking a picture of something so I can remember it later (like the spec number of a part that I'm replacing on a dryer).  There aren't a lot of 'people' pictures on my phone.  Mostly, they're just pictures of things.  Maybe this represents the fact that I'm not a people person.  Or maybe it means I prefer to have my experiences up front, instead of saving them for later.

I often wonder if they ever go back and watch those videos. Who wants to watch 30 minutes of shaky hand held footage?

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2017, 02:50:29 pm »
I want to see the places you went, not just 1000 pictures of your face.

And yup.

;D

Casa Grande, Arizona.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 03:54:41 pm by Winklovic »
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2017, 02:51:01 pm »

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2017, 03:01:26 pm »
I will admit to taking 4 over the course of 10 days during the last few weeks in F and ES, but that is somewhat a product of my mother telling me "I want to see more pictures with you in them!". To put that into perspective, I took probably 4-5 dozen photos during the time.

I preferred just laying down on the beach, to be honest.  :pimp: . The mobile stays in the rucksack.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2017, 09:05:18 pm »

That's how much he doesn't like selfies. Mom wants a picture...here, can you take it, please. It was still a picture of hisself.  ;D

He will not fit well in the new world lol....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2017, 10:15:18 pm »

My guess is he'll be fine with that.  :)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2017, 10:46:15 pm »

My guess is he'll be fine with that.  :)

Yep.

Some of us aren't sheople......
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2017, 01:22:18 am »
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...