Author Topic: Help deciding.  (Read 18591 times)

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
Re: Help deciding.
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2021, 07:27:21 pm »
That is the Smartstream (Theta 3) 2.5 turbo I believe. At the least you'd want to research that one a bit

Offline Conflicted67

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Altima 3.5 SE, TLX A-Spec SH-AWD V6
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2021, 07:46:10 pm »
That is the Smartstream (Theta 3) 2.5 turbo I believe. At the least you'd want to research that one a bit

That’s what this is…

Offline Conflicted67

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2021, 09:20:25 pm »
Vote for GV70 for me. It looks just as luxurious but it'll be reliable.

Are you saying the Alfa Romeo isn’t reliable?
When in the history of Alfa have they even been average in reliability?  The answer is never.

I honestly wasn't sure if that was a serious question.  Alfa, reliable?  The answer is LOL!  :rofl:

What do you mean by that? In what way is it not reliable? (Genuinely curious).

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12357
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2021, 10:05:52 pm »

When in the history of Alfa have they even been average in reliability?  The answer is never.

I honestly wasn't sure if that was a serious question.  Alfa, reliable?  The answer is LOL!  :rofl:

Gosh. Well, remember when the Giulia came out and they put a bunch of them in the hands of journalists so they could report on the Italian wonderfulness of the machines? Only a bunch of them didn't even last a week before a flatbed had to be summoned? Just one chapter in a long history of Alpha tales.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2021, 06:51:33 am »

Short answer.....In ALL ways.

Alfa's are not reliable in the same way water is not dry.  ;D

I'm not fully up on the subject but Hyundai's ongoing issues with 4 cylinder engines would at least make me do a lot of research before choosing either of the other two options.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 06:53:59 am by sailor723 »
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2021, 08:06:29 am »
Had a 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe for almost 11 years, my wife loved it.  But it seems over the past decade they have had a lot of issues with their 4 cylinders.  As stated above, if you can afford the nicer Genesis with a V6, that's where my money would go.

The thing is I am willing to pay for the GV70 but not the V6. It would be the turbo 4-cylinder.

Well I guess the question is, are you leasing or just plan on owning for the amount of time the warranty is valid?  If so then don't sweat the possible engine issues as they would be covered by any warranty you'd have.  But if you were planning on keeping it long term I'd likely push you into something different.

If you want luxury, reliability, and something with a little better handling, I don't think you can go wrong with the Mazda CX-5 Signature.  Good engine, you can can even use regular gas in it and save some money at the pump.  The bonus is the Mazda will likely have better resale value than the Hyundai's or the Alfa for that matter.

Offline Conflicted67

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2021, 09:20:21 am »
Had a 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe for almost 11 years, my wife loved it.  But it seems over the past decade they have had a lot of issues with their 4 cylinders.  As stated above, if you can afford the nicer Genesis with a V6, that's where my money would go.

The thing is I am willing to pay for the GV70 but not the V6. It would be the turbo 4-cylinder.

Well I guess the question is, are you leasing or just plan on owning for the amount of time the warranty is valid?  If so then don't sweat the possible engine issues as they would be covered by any warranty you'd have.  But if you were planning on keeping it long term I'd likely push you into something different.

If you want luxury, reliability, and something with a little better handling, I don't think you can go wrong with the Mazda CX-5 Signature.  Good engine, you can can even use regular gas in it and save some money at the pump.  The bonus is the Mazda will likely have better resale value than the Hyundai's or the Alfa for that matter.

Thanks for the response. It would be a 4-5 year lease. I just don’t want to deal with multiple issues if indeed the Alfa Romeo is as unreliable as most here are saying it is.

It’s funny you suggested the CX-5 Signature because that was my other dark horse but ultimately decided against it before I posted here. A couple of reasons for that: 1) I thought the 250hp wouldn’t be quite enough of an engine for me and 2) I think after driving it for a year or two I would get bored with it. The Genesis for example has so much more to it on the inside that I don’t think I’d get bored of it nearly as quickly. But perhaps I’ll take one for a spin.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2021, 10:37:21 am »
Alfa will not be as reliable as the Genesis, that is true. But is it unreliable? In 2.0T form, not really. Happy customers very few problems. QV? Yeah, that drivetrain is only for the most understanding of enthusiasts.

If reliability is high on your list, then get the Genesis, you cant go wrong. But if fun to dri....oh who are we kidding, it is a CUV. Get the Genesis. Done.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2021, 10:41:09 am »

Thanks for the response. It would be a 4-5 year lease. I just don’t want to deal with multiple issues if indeed the Alfa Romeo is as unreliable as most here are saying it is.

It’s funny you suggested the CX-5 Signature because that was my other dark horse but ultimately decided against it before I posted here. A couple of reasons for that: 1) I thought the 250hp wouldn’t be quite enough of an engine for me and 2) I think after driving it for a year or two I would get bored with it. The Genesis for example has so much more to it on the inside that I don’t think I’d get bored of it nearly as quickly. But perhaps I’ll take one for a spin.
I would suggest crossing off the Alfa, it's not just the drivetrain that is the problem, infotainment, trim pieces, etc.  Little annoying things will be popping up and you'll get to know your dealer well with the Alfa. 

I would drive the Santa Fe, Genesis, and the Mazda back to back and actually see which is the best for your needs.  You obviously save a boat load by going Santa Fe or Mazda, but you have to be happy with whatever you get so pick the one that you think will make you happier longer.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2021, 11:32:34 am »

I would suggest crossing off the Alfa, it's not just the drivetrain that is the problem, infotainment, trim pieces, etc.  Little annoying things will be popping up and you'll get to know your dealer well with the Alfa. 

I would drive the Santa Fe, Genesis, and the Mazda back to back and actually see which is the best for your needs.  You obviously save a boat load by going Santa Fe or Mazda, but you have to be happy with whatever you get so pick the one that you think will make you happier longer.
I do not want to push the Alfa too hard on the OP, but from what I see and hear from our Alfa store, the Stelvio 2.0T models have been pretty reliable, even mostly free of little squeaks and rattles and glitches etc. But yes, the Genesis will be more reliable in every measured metric, that is a given.

I say drive all of them, and make a decision based on how you feel. Cars are an emotional purchase for many, and if your heart is not in it, you will never be happy behind the wheel.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2021, 11:37:24 am »
If the Alfa is what you want, lease it for as long as the warranty is...

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2021, 12:16:16 pm »

I do not want to push the Alfa too hard on the OP, but from what I see and hear from our Alfa store, the Stelvio 2.0T models have been pretty reliable, even mostly free of little squeaks and rattles and glitches etc. But yes, the Genesis will be more reliable in every measured metric, that is a given.

I say drive all of them, and make a decision based on how you feel. Cars are an emotional purchase for many, and if your heart is not in it, you will never be happy behind the wheel.
The reality is that pretty much all cars nowadays are more reliable than they were 20-30 years ago.  Talking about the least reliable and most reliable vehicles in a category is the difference between going into your dealer a couple of times a year for an issue, or going a couple of times for an issue every 5 years.  It's still only a couple of times per year, on average, and every car maker is capable to making a "lemon" so even if you buy the most reliable brand, there are still people who just get a crap car.  Leasing opens up a lot of options as far as not caring about reliability, but then you have to take into account the unscheduled visits to the dealer or warranty.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2021, 02:04:54 pm »
Here's another big vote for the Genesis GV70

https://www.motortrend.com/news/genesis-gv70-2022-suv-of-the-year/

Offline Shorlaw

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +16/-85
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Corvette GS, 2013XKR, 2018 Macan S
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2021, 02:29:25 pm »
I wouldn't rule the Stelvio out given that you're looking to lease, it's one of the best looking SUV's out there, you don't see them constantly, and the reviews I've seen are pretty positive.  I still haven't seen a GV70, but would be interested to drive them back to back if I was in the market, the Santa Fe wouldn't even be on my radar, I'd much prefer the CX5 if I wanted to save some.

Offline Conflicted67

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2021, 10:18:59 am »
I wouldn't rule the Stelvio out given that you're looking to lease, it's one of the best looking SUV's out there, you don't see them constantly, and the reviews I've seen are pretty positive.  I still haven't seen a GV70, but would be interested to drive them back to back if I was in the market, the Santa Fe wouldn't even be on my radar, I'd much prefer the CX5 if I wanted to save some.

I had an extended test drive with the Stelvio. Man is it ever a joy to drive. But you do also see the other issues. The backup camera is a disgrace tbh. The screen is too small and I don’t love the layout of the dash - looks a little outdated.

I am going to try to get an extended run with the Genesis to see how close to a driving experience it can get me to the Stelvio.

Offline JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru WRX STI, 2022 Acura MDX (wifey's)
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2021, 10:44:53 am »
Another darkhorse to throw in, the RDX. Though you already have the TLX and maybe just wanted a change or had a less than stellar experience?

If you haven't yet, test drive all the vehicles you're interested in. Before test driving all the vehicles we were interested in to replace my wife's Mazda5, I had different ideas. Based on countless videos and reviews singing their praises, there were a couple candidates I wanted to like more, namely the Telluride and Palisade. But there were things that were just not for us so they were left out of main contention. You have to see what's best for you within your budget.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2021, 10:49:35 am »
Buy what speaks to you. If none speak to you then do not buy.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2021, 10:58:25 am »
No interest in the F-Pace?
F-Pace will be a good choice, but in all honesty I cannot recommend them until they figure out their infotainment issues. If you care about your infotainment working flawlessly, do not go with a new F-Pace.

Offline Conflicted67

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2021, 05:15:55 pm »
Another darkhorse to throw in, the RDX. Though you already have the TLX and maybe just wanted a change or had a less than stellar experience?

If you haven't yet, test drive all the vehicles you're interested in. Before test driving all the vehicles we were interested in to replace my wife's Mazda5, I had different ideas. Based on countless videos and reviews singing their praises, there were a couple candidates I wanted to like more, namely the Telluride and Palisade. But there were things that were just not for us so they were left out of main contention. You have to see what's best for you within your budget.

That’s funny cuz a friend of mine just suggested the 2022 RDX cuz he is getting one so I have started checking it out.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2021, 05:38:21 pm »
If you're talking about the RDX, hows about a Lexus RX450h or NX450h. They will have the best reliability and resale value easily.
Lighten up Francis.....