Author Topic: Political & Religious Discussion subforum  (Read 15168 times)

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
Re: Political & Religious Discussion subforum
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2019, 04:01:32 pm »
Geez, Jon....
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2019, 04:57:58 pm »
When ya only have one, it’s fun to spoil them a little. She’s an awesome kid that has zero expectations for things like that, so I don’t mind going overboard sometimes.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2019, 05:20:07 pm »
When ya only have one, it’s fun to spoil them a little. She’s an awesome kid that has zero expectations for things like that, so I don’t mind going overboard sometimes.
Sometimes (oftentimes?) it's ok to say no though...best word we ever learned for child rearing!

I (somewhat) understand going overboard for maybe something useful to her or her career (pair of skis? Avalanche backpack? )

But $2k on a prom dress is silliness and one of those times where "no" was the correct answer IMO.

But it's your dough....so if you're happy...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2019, 05:28:12 pm »
Sometimes (oftentimes?) it's ok to say no though...best word we ever learned for child rearing!

I (somewhat) understand going overboard for maybe something useful to her or her career (pair of skis? Avalanche backpack? )

But $2k on a prom dress is silliness and one of those times where "no" was the correct answer IMO.

But it's your dough....so if you're happy...

Meh, I don't have kids, but I get it. My buddies kid graduated last year and he wanted some fancy git up that was $1000+, some fancy shoes and a limo. Kid finished top 3 honor roll and got into mechanical engineering at the UofA, definitely deserved an accolade for his hard work.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2019, 05:33:41 pm »
^^. Meh, after what my bil told me it cost for his three boys to play hockey and for ski passes that's a small fraction.  Besides money well spent by the looks of Jon and daughter.   :thumbup:

My wife spent $86 for her wedding dress.  It was in the half price rack!   :D. Anyways, it was the one she liked best and she looked fantastic!  We spent the wad on the trip!  ;D

Btw, awesome thread drift!  Had a good laugh when I logged in here and saw a prom dress.  :rofl2:

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2019, 05:34:22 pm »
She didn’t ask for the dress. She was looking at $300 dresses and offered to pay for one herself.

Going overboard was my choice.

I can’t recall one time where she asked for something even remotely unreasonable.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2019, 05:38:27 pm »
We ended up on a two day road trip to Halifax for dress shopping. The eventual dress wasn't too, too bad until you started adding up gas, hotel, meals and my wife doing some "while we're here" shopping.  ;D
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
Political & Religious Discussion subforum
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2019, 05:40:35 pm »
Prom dress!  Anyone want to buy one?  We spent a ridiculous amount on the kids dress, and now it just sits in a closet. Worn once. $2K per wear. I’ll let it go for cheap!

I might just donate it to this place that helps poorer kids with dresses.

LOL, the school my daughters went to, they need a white dress for group photo and graduation ceremony, plus a prom dress for prom.  But they only stay at prom for an hour or two, then they all get changed and take off to parties.

It’s kinda expensive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2019, 05:46:03 pm »
My prom dress was neither expensive nor formal.  But I spent a heck of a lot of time (weeks) looking for something original, only to see another girl at the prom show up wearing the very same one as me.  That bothered me more than anything else!  I had the better shoes, though.  ;D

In the end, both ended up covered in puke, thanks to my first foray into drinking gin and 7-Up.   :rofl2:   

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12357
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2019, 05:50:05 pm »
Yeah, the dress thing was totally my fault. We’d set a much smaller budget but then I got a tailor/designer involved and it just took off. To be fair though, what I wore to the event was over $4K if you add up the suit, shirt, tie and shoes. Though again, those things are not one-use-only.

This is a crappy pic of the dress, but it’s my fave pic of the event anyway. A lot of the cost of the dress is the huge number of layers in the lower half to make it sit exactly perfect. Took fittings and a lot of labour and materials. She stood out, as desired. It’s only money... (just keep chanting that, it helps)

Love that pic.  And I'll bet she'll treasure the memory.  Excessive?  Yup.  Worth it?  Yup.  Would I do the same?  Prolly yup.  :)
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2019, 05:51:08 pm »
My prom dress was neither expensive nor formal.  But I spent a heck of a lot of time (weeks) looking for something original, only to see another girl at the prom show up wearing the very same one as me.  That bothered me more than anything else!  I had the better shoes, though.  ;D

In the end, both ended up covered in puke, thanks to my first foray into drinking gin and 7-Up.   :rofl2:   

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

One of the girls at my grad party ended up not only coating herself with puke, also partially set her dress on fire as she got to close to the fire pit....good times.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2019, 05:57:41 pm »
Prom dress!  Anyone want to buy one?  We spent a ridiculous amount on the kids dress, and now it just sits in a closet. Worn once. $2K per wear. I’ll let it go for cheap!

I might just donate it to this place that helps poorer kids with dresses.

LOL, the school my daughters went to, they need a white dress for group photo and graduation ceremony, plus a prom dress for prom.  But they only stay at prom for an hour or two, then they all get changed and take off to parties.

It’s kinda expensive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oh yeah, I remember it well . AFAIR the white dress was found online but the prom dress required the road trip.   Good old SJHS!...my alma mater  ;D
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 06:07:27 pm by sailor723 »

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2019, 06:31:50 pm »
One of the girls at my grad party ended up not only coating herself with puke, also partially set her dress on fire as she got to close to the fire pit....good times.

Nice. Go big or go home.  I was sitting on the grass in a park with my BF at the time.  He was trying to make some moves, and I guess my response was less than sexy.   :rofl2:

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12357
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2019, 07:01:14 pm »

Nice. Go big or go home.  I was sitting on the grass in a park with my BF at the time.  He was trying to make some moves, and I guess my response was less than sexy.   :rofl2:

:rofl: :rofl2:

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2019, 07:41:57 pm »

Yep.  7-Up will do that to you. 

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2019, 07:54:43 pm »

Nah, it was probably those ice cubes that had gone bad.   ;D

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2019, 08:11:43 pm »

At least tell me it wasn't lemon gin.  ;D

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2019, 08:09:22 am »

I always blamed it on the slice of pizza I had at some point in the evening... never on the booze!!

As my old accountant once told me (he could drink like a fish), if you ever ate food that made you this sick, you'd never touch it again  :rofl:   But with the booze we're back at 'er without fear  :rofl:
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2019, 08:40:53 am »

I always blamed it on the slice of pizza I had at some point in the evening... never on the booze!!

A friend of mine always blames it on something she ate, we make fun of her for that all the time.  ;D

Also reminds me of this Onion article: https://www.theonion.com/man-blames-hangover-on-everything-but-how-much-he-drank-1819566447

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2019, 07:01:48 am »
Yeah, it was a running joke back in my sales days.  We'd party hard into the wee hours of the morning for three solid days.  On some mornings, if someone was "missing" from a meeting, the older guys would say that "Bob got some bad ice last night."   ;D