Author Topic: Hacked password  (Read 1464 times)

Offline makuribu

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-6
    • View Profile
Hacked password
« on: November 01, 2018, 04:16:24 pm »
Some years ago (I can't remember how long ago exactly but it has been a while) Autos.ca advised all of us users to change our passwords.
Recently some script kiddie on 4Chan or some other nefarious "dark web" site must have purchased the text file containing our old passwords.
For the past three weeks, I've received several emails a day that include my obsolete Autos.ca password in plain text, and a threat to ruin my life by exposing details and photos of all my illicit activities. I know another member who has received similar threats and the password is one he used years ago on Autos.ca.
They all include Bitcoin accounts and instructions to send them a payment.

I wonder how many people have fallen for this?

Hint: don't answer these emails, don't follow their instructions. Delete them.

You can't do much to track these morons down, but I have made a list of Bitcoin accounts that belong to idiots. So far one idiot has sent the same message 3 times, but the other idiots are all using unique Bitcoin accounts. What a lot of effort.

'Cause you can only drive down Main St. so many times

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
Re: Hacked password
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 04:46:32 pm »
I can't even remember what email if any I provided. Is it a good idea to change my password?
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +121/-437
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
Re: Hacked password
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 09:17:37 pm »
Funny you mention this I got an email a couple of weeks ago with the same MO, the moron  wants 7,000 bit coins  ::), deleted it never got another email