Author Topic: What Should FrauFarbissina Buy?  (Read 24390 times)

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
Re: What Should FrauFarbissina Buy?
« Reply #80 on: April 29, 2017, 11:54:25 am »
I was suspicious of the low price, and now it's clear why it's so cheap.  $10K worth of front-end damage. 

http://wwwb.autotrader.ca/a/Honda/CR-V/Brampton/Ontario/5_30941730_ON20070924092442010/?showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=1_15_1

No thanks.
to be fair, $10k doesn't fix much these days...when we had our previous 2011 Elantra Touring, i hit the rear end of a Ram pickup after hitting black ice...because the truck was higher up, instead of hitting bumper to bumper (which would have resulted in zero damage), my grill hit his bumper...cracked grill, creased hood...still drivable and pretty minimal damage (i did manage to almost come to a stop when i hit it, going maybe 5 km/hr)...ended up taking it in anyway...$4500...i thought there was maybe $1000 damage...the point being, you'd be surprised how much it can cost to fix what really isn't that much damage...$4500 seems like it was a pretty massive front end accident, when really, there wasn't much damage at all.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

ltruong

« Reply #81 on: April 29, 2017, 11:55:00 am »

2017 RAV4 Hybrid AWD?
https://www.toyota.ca/toyota/en/vehicles/rav4/overview#/al/overview-models

Who knows, may it would be reliable as the Prius...?
No idea about its cruiser aptitude, comfort index, driving manners, etc or AWD aptitude but its fuel economy looks good

City/Highway/Combined L/100 km
ECVT 6.9 / 7.8 / 7.3

Hybrid System Net Power
Net HP: 194 hp (145 kW) (18)

2.5 Litre, 4-Cylinder, DOHC, 16-Valve, Variable Valve Timing
w/intelligence, Hybrid Synergy Drive, EV & ECO Modes,
Sport Mode

Source : Pdf Brochure from Toyota.ca

One of my neighbor has one and loves it.  He said he average 6.6L/100km(mostly city)....! he has limited AWD.   I also heard from couple people that  they are somewhat "Peppy"   the hybrid give a low end torque feeling.

Rav 4 Hybrid I'm pretty sure it's as reliable as the Prius... I don't think they would dare mess things up on the Rav 4 considering is one of their top selling vehicle.  local dealer told me Rav4 is over 25% of their total sales

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 29, 2017, 12:01:25 pm »
One of my neighbor has one and loves it.  He said he average 6.6L/100km(mostly city)....! he has limited AWD.   I also heard from couple people that  they are somewhat "Peppy"   the hybrid give a low end torque feeling.

Rav 4 Hybrid I'm pretty sure it's as reliable as the Prius... I don't think they would dare mess things up on the Rav 4 considering is one of their top selling vehicle.  local dealer told me Rav4 is over 25% of their total sales

That is impressive for such vehicle, I guess...
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #83 on: April 29, 2017, 03:05:31 pm »
The reality is that Toyota RAVs and Honda CR-Vs are the most desirable CUVs on the used market, and therefore command high prices.  People can crow about "perceived quality" but stats bear out the fact that those two are the best made most reliable CUVs on the market.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #84 on: April 29, 2017, 10:26:58 pm »

2017 RAV4 Hybrid AWD?

No idea about its cruiser aptitude, comfort index, driving manners, etc or AWD aptitude but its fuel economy looks good

ECVT 6.9 / 7.8 / 7.3

Hybrid System Net Power

Sport Mode

You both are suggesting a $40K vehicle tax in  vehicle  ??? 

The RAV is akin to the 2017 Camry Hybrid which is dead reliable.   The 2018 Camry Hybrid will receive an even better powertrain and that will probably show up latter in the 2019 RAV Hybrid. 

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #85 on: April 29, 2017, 11:02:35 pm »

2017 RAV4 Hybrid AWD?

ECVT 6.9 / 7.8 / 7.3

Hybrid System Net Power

Sport Mode

You both are suggesting a $40K vehicle tax in  vehicle  ??? 

The RAV is akin to the 2017 Camry Hybrid which is dead reliable.   The 2018 Camry Hybrid will receive an even better powertrain and that will probably show up latter in the 2019 RAV Hybrid.

I think I heard Toyota saying 20% mpg improvement for the new Camry Hybrid. I wonder HOW it will be achieved...
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #86 on: April 30, 2017, 08:28:58 am »
CX-3?  0% financing right now, too.  It's also the size that I want.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 30, 2017, 08:31:45 am »
That car is comically small. You sure?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 30, 2017, 08:45:57 am »
That car is comically small. You sure?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I don't need a Santa Fe-sized ride anymore.  This is why I was already looking to unload before "the troubles" began.  CX-3, HR-V, Soul, etc. is where I'm going now.  90% of the time, it's just me going to work or coming home.  I'd add the Trax to the list, but I just don't like it, as I drove the Encore for a week and hated it.  Crosstrek was the perfect size - shame about the suicidal lack of acceleration.

So, if I think of the attributes that I want:

1.  Must be hatchback
2.  Must have more ground clearance than a sedan
3.  Must have a raised seating position - I don't want to "fall down" into the seat to get in.
4.  Must be moderately peppy at highway speeds
5.  Must be naturally aspirated

I don't even know if such a thing exists.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #89 on: April 30, 2017, 08:57:43 am »

1.  Must be hatchback
3.  Must have a raised seating position - I don't want to "fall down" into the seat to get in.

Good luck with getting all of those things.

The CX3 is very small, makes my Golf feel big. Check out the trunk on the CX3, good luck loading up a few backpacks, boots and other things. If people sit in the front, only kids can fit in the back.

I know everybody shits on the Crosstrek for power but I share rides with somebody that has on and it isn't horrible. Sure you won't be passing 5 cars in a row on back roads but power is reasonable for getting up to 70-80 kph. You should really test drive one. And if the Crosstrek is slow then all of the other small crossovers are equally as slow so you won't like any of them.

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 30, 2017, 09:20:45 am »
I don't need a Santa Fe-sized ride anymore.  This is why I was already looking to unload before "the troubles" began.  CX-3, HR-V, Soul, etc. is where I'm going now.  90% of the time, it's just me going to work or coming home.  I'd add the Trax to the list, but I just don't like it, as I drove the Encore for a week and hated it.  Crosstrek was the perfect size - shame about the suicidal lack of acceleration.

1.  Must be hatchback

FWD or AWD?
Budget avg (new/used)?
Soul EV considered even if point 5 not applicable?  ;)

My neighbour has a Honda HRV, she seems to like it.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #91 on: April 30, 2017, 09:36:06 am »

1.  Must be hatchback

The CX3 is very small, makes my Golf feel big. Check out the trunk on the CX3, good luck loading up a few backpacks, boots and other things. If people sit in the front, only kids can fit in the back.

I know everybody shits on the Crosstrek for power but I share rides with somebody that has on and it isn't horrible. Sure you won't be passing 5 cars in a row on back roads but power is reasonable for getting up to 70-80 kph. You should really test drive one. And if the Crosstrek is slow then all of the other small crossovers are equally as slow so you won't like any of them.
QFT.

i've driven by some CX-3 vehicles while in my Rio5...they aren't much bigger than my car...just make sure that size is ok for you...it might be fine, i don't need a big car either, but i think some people overestimate the size of the CX-3 because it's called a CUV.

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 30, 2017, 09:38:54 am »

Thanks, D.  I did test drive the Crosstrek.  However, it was a super-cold morning in February, and I'm told that this may have contributed to the pokiness when merging onto the highway.  The sales guy didn't really let it warm up before we took off.

Perhaps I should take a second look.  I really wanted to like it.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 30, 2017, 10:00:44 am »
Thanks, D.  I did test drive the Crosstrek.  However, it was a super-cold morning in February, and I'm told that this may have contributed to the pokiness when merging onto the highway.  The sales guy didn't really let it warm up before we took off.

I'm sure it wasn't the cold, more like the 148 hp, CVT and your expectations. But this is no slower than a TDI, Corolla, regular Mazda3, HRV, etc. and all those cars are able to drive on the hwy.

I really like the Crosstrek a lot but won't deny, I wish you could get it with the 2.5, I'd even pay extra for that.

I know you don't want a turbo but too bad VW doesn't give us the lower trim levels for the Alltrack. Think that would be your sweet spot for everything else on your list. Personally, I find the full load too expensive.

Online Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
« Reply #94 on: April 30, 2017, 10:09:33 am »

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 30, 2017, 10:20:00 am »
Personally I prefer 5-60 rolling starts, closer to real world.

Passat TDI

Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 9.4 sec
Top gear, 30-50 mph: 4.2 sec
Top gear, 50-70 mph: 6.2 sec

Crosstrek
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 10.5 sec
Top gear, 30-50 mph: 5.3 sec
Top gear, 50-70 mph: 6.7 sec

2017 Corolla

Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 9.9 sec
Top gear, 30-50 mph: 4.4 sec
Top gear, 50-70 mph: 6.1 sec

They are all very similar. None will win a race but nothing wrong with them.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #96 on: April 30, 2017, 10:44:34 am »

I'm sure it wasn't the cold, more like the 148 hp, CVT and your expectations. But this is no slower than a TDI, Corolla, regular Mazda3, HRV, etc. and all those cars are able to drive on the hwy.

I really like the Crosstrek a lot but won't deny, I wish you could get it with the 2.5, I'd even pay extra for that.

It may have been the cold.
With ours on really cold days it does feel very slow until fully warmed up.  It is one of the quirks on our 2014. 
The CVT is the worst part of our Crosstrek.  Followed closely by the cheap interior.  The interior looks better on the new ones, but the CVT i'm not so sure.

You should probably give the Crosstrek another shot, if that's the size of vehicle you're wanting.   I was going to suggest an Acura RDX, but too big I assume.  Should be decently reliable, and V6...

The CX-3 is tiny.  We looked at those when having a look at the new CX-5.  The 3 is a lot smaller than the Crosstrek... the 5 a bit bigger.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 30, 2017, 11:08:07 am »
+1 on the RDX.

They really aren't that big.

There's lots to choose from and Acura has decent financing on the CPO's.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Online Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
« Reply #99 on: April 30, 2017, 11:09:17 am »
Personally I prefer 5-60 rolling starts, closer to real world.

Passat TDI

Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 9.4 sec
Top gear, 30-50 mph: 4.2 sec
Top gear, 50-70 mph: 6.2 sec

Crosstrek
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 10.5 sec
Top gear, 30-50 mph: 5.3 sec
Top gear, 50-70 mph: 6.7 sec

2017 Corolla

Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 9.9 sec
Top gear, 30-50 mph: 4.4 sec
Top gear, 50-70 mph: 6.1 sec

They are all very similar. None will win a race but nothing wrong with them.

Agreed.