Author Topic: Show 'n Shine x3 - Catch-Up Edition  (Read 1128 times)

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-103
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
Show 'n Shine x3 - Catch-Up Edition
« on: April 10, 2024, 08:44:54 pm »
Have been slacking on these, but considering I go through 3-4 cars per year (tally is at 27 for me, 21 for my wife), well...

As of my last post, I had a 2022 Golf R and a 2023 Tiguan in the driveway. Last July I made the switch to the other side of the Golf fence, opting for my first ever red car - in this case, a Kings Red 2023 GTI Performance 6MT with the ever-so-important "leather delete" package. This is one I'm particularly fond of, as it's a Canada-special (one of my earlier creations with VW).

Normally, these top-trim "Performance" models come with leather, ventilated seats, full power adjust, etc. But it's a GTI - true believers know it has to have plaid. So for the generous price of $0, we allow you to take all those premium features and toss them in the bin to add back the cloth... very Porsche-esque, I think  ;D. Beyond the awesome plaid cloth, the bolsters and door cards are covered in a lovely grippy suede that feels wonderful and holds you like velcro. Win-win.

Only additional tweak is the addition of my much-heavier-than-stock Black Forest Industries shift knob with Alcantara boot. Makes a big difference in terms of shift action and looks very OEM+ (this vendor specializes in retrofits for German cars, including much higher-end ones).

This last picture gives away my wife's current ride, a 2024 Tiguan in the exact same spec as before (Comfortline R-Line Black with the Cinammon interior)... also in Kings Red. Made for a matchy-matchy driveway. Have already ordered her next one, which is a literal carbon copy. She likes what she likes.

...which brings me to my latest addition, a 2024 GTI 380 Performance 6MT with leather delete, this time in Dolphin Grey. The "380" refers to the chassis code of the Mk8 GTI, and denotes the final year of the manual gearbox ( :(). All versions of these get the lighter  "Estoril" wheel from the Golf R in gloss black, as well as other black elements, and all the performance bits like the adaptive dampers + summer tires. This particular one also has a black roof (optional).

Absolutely adore this spec. Versus the Golf R, the GTI is just as fun, and feels a little more lively on turn in. Power delivery is superior and the exhaust gives lovely little pops on high-load upshifts and downshifts. Settles down more on the highway, too, thanks to a taller final drive than the R.

And that about wraps it up. Of course, the cycle continues, so I've already ordered my next one: 2024 Golf R 6MT, Pure White, with Carbon Fibre Pkg.  :)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2024, 05:19:24 pm by Patrick_D1 »
Manual gearbox evangelist. Die-hard automotive and motorsport enthusiast. Often found covered in mud.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
Re: Show 'n Shine x3 - Catch-Up Edition
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2024, 08:50:35 pm »
Congrats!!

I prefer the wheels on the red GTI....I like those little silver touches on the black.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2024, 08:56:04 pm »
Very sweet rides!

What happens to them when you return them? Any friends & family deals? :stick:

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2024, 09:46:18 pm »
Thanks for the pics. Don't see many Rs and even less GTIs around here. A few years back when they came out there were quite a few R's rolling around. Either they are blending in or people who wanted one bought one.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2024, 11:29:27 pm »
I remember looking at Black Forest for my German cars.

Never did buy one, but they make really nice stuff.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2024, 05:03:11 am »
Funny how you sometimes see what you expect to see when reading. I clicked on the thread thinking X3? What's he doing with a BMW?  ;D
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2024, 06:40:00 am »
Nice rides!  Reminds me of when I visited a friend of mine late last summer and he was proudly showing me his new Golf R mt in red.  He is ~75 years old.  Nice car but I couldn't help thinking how much nicer it would be with the plaid seats.  Not sure if they are available on the R but that would be my choice. 

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2024, 06:47:28 am »
I also thought you'd jumped ship to BMW!

Thanks for the update, it's fun to follow along as you change cars faster than I change pairs of jeans.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2024, 09:24:22 am »
I also thought you'd jumped ship to BMW!

Thanks for the update, it's fun to follow along as you change cars faster than I change pairs of jeans.

Have definitely had more cars than pairs of jeans in the last 15 years. For fear of not being able to remember one day, I even made a tracker...

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2024, 09:51:18 am »
The plaid seats fix one of my biggest complaints about the GTI which are those kinda ugly two tone leather seats. Not sure what VW was thinking with that design. Should have just kept it black with red accents. But I don't love the idea of giving up power/ventilated seats without a discount.

That red one looks quite sharp though I still miss Tornado Red.  :)

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2024, 10:03:13 am »
Great update Patrick :thumbup:

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12357
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2024, 10:27:11 am »
Two beauties there Patrick - I dig the shifter upgrade - and plaid FTW!  :winner:
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2024, 10:46:25 am »
Would you ever choose to keep one of these manual performance VW's longer term?  I know that these are pretty much all job perks, but surely you are able to buy one of them out and keep longer term.

I'm just thinking the end of the road for manual performance VW's is here and if you wanted to keep one in your driveway beyond this year.

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2024, 11:55:03 am »
Would you ever choose to keep one of these manual performance VW's longer term?  I know that these are pretty much all job perks, but surely you are able to buy one of them out and keep longer term.

I'm just thinking the end of the road for manual performance VW's is here and if you wanted to keep one in your driveway beyond this year.

A popular topic of discussion in the office these days is exactly that - who among us is going to buy a GTI or Golf R at the end of this year before the final manuals roll off the line. Guessing there will be at least a dozen. Thankfully we get quite a nice discount.

I'm personally undecided at this stage in my life. So busy with young kids that it's hard to justify parking $50K+ for something I might not use as often as I'd like. What's more, as much as I adore these, it's not like I won't have one next year... it'll just be two pedals. So if I were to buy a toy car, I might look for something older/cheaper/more raw.

We'll see. I have plenty of time to decide.

Online WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +8/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: bugatti
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2024, 02:56:44 pm »
Those Plaid seats are nice.    Is there a big difference quality wise from the standard cloth?

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2024, 03:58:34 pm »

A popular topic of discussion in the office these days is exactly that - who among us is going to buy a GTI or Golf R at the end of this year before the final manuals roll off the line. Guessing there will be at least a dozen. Thankfully we get quite a nice discount.

I'm personally undecided at this stage in my life. So busy with young kids that it's hard to justify parking $50K+ for something I might not use as often as I'd like. What's more, as much as I adore these, it's not like I won't have one next year... it'll just be two pedals. So if I were to buy a toy car, I might look for something older/cheaper/more raw.

@Firm has a blue MGB waiting for ya  ;D
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2024, 05:27:24 pm »
Very sweet rides!

What happens to them when you return them? Any friends & family deals? :stick:

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

They go to auction, actually. Highest bidder, VW dealers get first right of refusal.

Those Plaid seats are nice.    Is there a big difference quality wise from the standard cloth?

This is the only cloth in GTI. It's really nice quality, and the seat structure is lovely - easily the best seats ever put in a Golf by a considerable margin.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2024, 05:33:28 pm »

I get that but also, it’s now or never.  The chance of another manual VW to hit our shores is low and it would also hold some value of remembering and showing your kids some of the “good old days” of cars you had a hand to create.

Sure you will have new ones, but they won’t be like this, manual ICE again.

Then again, I feel like the peak for GTI and Golf R was MK7.5.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2024, 05:37:34 pm »

I get that but also, it’s now or never.  The chance of another manual VW to hit our shores is low and it would also hold some value of remembering and showing your kids some of the “good old days” of cars you had a hand to create.

I get what you're saying, but its not now or never.  A person can buy a used one down the road, albeit more difficult to find a cream puff.  However, they aren't disappearing off the face of the earth. 
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +10/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2024, 06:09:16 pm »

I get what you're saying, but its not now or never.  A person can buy a used one down the road, albeit more difficult to find a cream puff.  However, they aren't disappearing off the face of the earth.

Funny enough, I just went through this process in my head last weekend. Drove a few MK8 Golf Rs (DSG and 6-speed). Great car, and I really enjoyed the drive in the 6-speed car. In any event, I ended up ordering a new Prius Prime  :rofl2: Weird comparison to the Golf R I know...but I just felt the Prius was a better DD for my use case. I figured I would be able to get an R later on if I wanted to go that route. Also part of me would maybe consider a MK7.5 instead.

For what it is worth, the VW dealers seem to have a ton of new stock of Rs. I think they had at least 6 brand new MK8 Rs in stock several of which were 6-speed cars, with more on the way in the coming months from what the dealer indicated to me.