Author Topic: TESLA Model III  (Read 508428 times)

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
TESLA Model III
« on: March 03, 2014, 05:57:23 pm »
There isn't much info to go by yet and and we don't know what the car will even look like but here came to light a few curious tech bits:
http://gas2.org/2014/03/03/tesla-model-e-will-20-smaller-48-kwh-battery/
Sounds like an interesting proposition. Tesla has a reputation of an upscale car maker and if they can manage to sell it under 35,000 USD with the claimed 200 mile range, I don't think there will be any shortage of demand. 200 miles, or if we go by the comparable cars' EPA results, more like 150 miles in real world driving is enough to keep most commuters happy. This may very well become my next car, that is if I find where to charge it. Go Musk Go!  :D

edit: title
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 12:55:50 pm by EV Dan »
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline RayT

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +23/-30
    • View Profile
Re: TESLA Model III
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 05:06:15 pm »
I personally cant wait....when it comes to what car I want to buy in 4-5 years time, I think an all-EV car could be what gets me excited about buying a car again. It's just so different that any car that exists today and a whole different experience in car ownership.  Sign me up when they come out with one I can afford!

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 05:10:03 pm »
I know two guys with model s'. And they get 300km in the winter.  With that kind of range it's viable

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 09:38:44 pm »
“California has a lot of regulatory agencies, and although this will be a very green factory, we can’t have a situation where an enormous amount of data has to be processed by a regulatory agency to find no significant impact and then give us approval to proceed,” Musk said.
 :rofl2: That's a good business move.
http://wallstcheatsheet.com/automobiles/tesla-takes-a-unique-approach-to-ensuring-the-model-e-arrives-on-time.html/

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 10:58:48 pm »
Funny that the article mentions the possibility of FWD making the car smaller. How, exactly? Not like you need a propshaft.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +313/-518
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 11:54:03 pm »
Funny that the article mentions the possibility of FWD making the car smaller. How, exactly? Not like you need a propshaft.

:rofl2:  Um, the smallest EV currently available for sale in North America is my Smart ED, and it is rear wheel drive. 
So is the Mitsubishi iMiEV.  So is the Tesla Model S.

Rear wheel drive makes so much sense in an EV, as the motor is very small, and there is very little in the way of "transmission", generally a single set of gear reduction.

The Chevy Spark EV is front wheel drive, and has "torque steer" which must be controlled through electronic controls to reduce engine power. 

When I throw my Smart ED into a tight corner and mash the accelerator, there is understear (due to skinny tires), but the car tends to rotate well and turn in sharper than front wheel drive cars I am used to driving.

Rear wheel drive is my preference, by far.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 11:57:07 pm by Smart Electric »

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 11:19:52 pm »
The plot thickens:
http://green.autoblog.com/2014/05/05/tesla-abandons-model-e-trademark/
I thought it made sense to use MB nomenclature. If it works why fix it?

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 11:03:16 pm »
I guess the Model S, Model E, and Model X was sort of funny when combined together :)

I don't know... some thought that a Model C would be introduced instead. C is a perfectly good letter too!

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 03:50:50 pm »
So the Model E in all likeliness will not be a scaled down version of the Model S. To get to the target 35k price point, the body will have to be made of more conventional steel:
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/tesla-promises-realistic-pricing-new-bmw-3-series-rival

I would suggest they should also go easy on the toys, such as retractable door handles and huge LED displays. Just make it a capable driver's car for a low starting price. Add options for those who want to pay for them. 

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 12:57:07 pm »

Offline roundupready

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-12
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 03:12:21 pm »
I'm seriously interested as well.
---------------------------
2013 328 xDrive
2010 Legacy 3.6R LTD
2005 Legacy GT 5EAT Stage 2

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2014, 03:36:53 pm »
Hm, I thought the Model X was supposed to be the $30k model. Unless they plan to have two $30k models?

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2014, 03:39:26 pm »
No model X is the SUV $100k

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2014, 09:55:50 pm »
I thought that was odd that their $30k model would've been an SUV. Makes sense now.

And actually...

"Though he would not disclose pricing, Franz von Holzhausen, Tesla’s chief designer said Model X will be priced competitively with premium SUVs and about five to 10 per cent more than the Tesla S four-door sedan which starts at $57,400 US. Production is expected to begin next year at Tesla’s plant in Fremont, Calif."

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2014, 11:59:06 pm »
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/tesla/87867/tesla-model-3-to-challenge-bmw-3-series-world-exclusive
-the original.
The first Tesla's Roadster can soon be upgraded with a 400 mile battery pack  :o

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +313/-518
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2014, 07:12:44 pm »

The first Tesla's Roadster can soon be upgraded with a 400 mile battery pack  :o

That is a brilliant, if not very financially prudent move by Tesla!  Their original owners can upgrade to a new pack which presumably will interoperate with their Supercharger network.  This will mean more marketing for Tesla, as the Roadster is a beautiful car, and seeing them on the road more (because people can take longer trips in them) is just a better way to spend money vs advertisement of another form.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2015, 06:08:06 pm »
http://insideevs.com/elon-musk-comments-minimum-range-electric-cars/
“200 miles is minimum threshold for an electric car. We need 200+ miles in real world. Not 200 miles in ‘AC off, driving on flat road mode. Anything below 200 miles isn’t passing grade. Most people looking for 20% more than that.”

200+ EPA miles would surely be nice!

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2015, 05:03:15 pm »
I'd seriously consider the model III.  I'd rather do that than buy an automatic.

I turned regen braking off when I test drove the Model S but I imagine if I get an electric at some point, recharging its battery while saving brake pads will put a  :) on my face, at every red light or stop sign. And then when I floor it as often as I like, no tranny will get worn out before its time. Go Musk!

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1160
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2015, 09:12:07 am »
I'd seriously consider the model III.  I'd rather do that than buy an automatic.

I turned regen braking off when I test drove the Model S but I imagine if I get an electric at some point, recharging its battery while saving brake pads will put a  :) on my face, at every red light or stop sign. And then when I floor it as often as I like, no tranny will get worn out before its time. Go Musk!

i think it's quite an adjustment when driving an EV. i.e., one foot driving using the regen as a brake.  i haven't driven a tesla yet but i'm looking forward to it. 

Yes, in stop and go traffic it's really nice. On the highway I turn it off as it can make the drive somewhat jerky. On the Tesla you can fine tune the level of regen. On the Leaf there are only 2 levels; 3 if you count putting the car in neutral to coast.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2015, 07:26:34 pm »
From WSJ (sub. req-d)

"Tesla Motors Inc. is developing electric cars that go beyond the coming mass-market Model 3 offering, and projects there will be a million Teslas on the world’s roads by 2020.

JB Straubel, Tesla’s chief technical officer, disclosed additional details of the luxury electric-car maker’s plans at a conference in Washington, D.C. on Monday, saying the third-generation vehicles currently under development will be available as both sedans and crossovers. Due in 2017, the Model 3 lineup is expected to cost about $35,000 and give drivers 200 miles worth of battery range.

Rivals including General Motors Co. are expected to launch similar models by then, taking the industry to “the spot where we see mass market adoption taking off,” he said.

At some point in the future, Tesla executives believe lithium-ion battery technology will become so inexpensive and widely available that electric powertrains “will become the predominant and primary fuel for light vehicles,” replacing internal combustion engines as the industry’s mainstay propulsion system. The Palo Alto, Calif.-based company is building a battery plant in Nevada to accelerate the shift.

Mr. Straubel said several times during his presentation that Tesla is developing cars to come after the Model 3, but didn’t elaborate. By 2020, Tesla should be able to sell 500,000 annually, he said, reiterating the sales target set by Chief Executive Elon Musk. The new details come a few days after Tesla said it arranged an additional up to $750 million in funding. The credit facility provides breathing room for a company that burned through $500 million in cash during its first quarter.

Within four months, the company will launch the Model X crossover. Building on technology used for the Model S, the Model X will play in a U.S. crossover market forecast by WardsAuto.com to exceed 5 million vehicles in 2015, more than 13% higher than 2014 and double the size of that market a decade ago.

Mr. Musk has said the company faces a delicate balancing act in timing the Model X launch. Vehicle debuts consume an enormous amount of capital, and even slight delays in the timing of the launch could deepen Tesla’s losses or accelerate its cash burn.

On Monday, Standard & Poor’s Ratings Services said Tesla’s cash burn in 2015 “will likely be worse than we had previously expected” and “meaningfully negative.” The asset-backed credit facility “should boost its otherwise weaker year-over-year liquidity and help it fund its substantial growth-related cash investments over the next 12 months,” S&P said.

S&P affirmed a B- corporate credit rating with a stable outlook on the company. “In our opinion, the company could still tap additional sources of liquidity over the next 12 months to fund its ongoing growth investments,” the firm said.

Although highly anticipated, relatively little is known about the Model 3."