Author Topic: VW ID4  (Read 50719 times)

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-103
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
Re: VW ID4
« Reply #180 on: March 10, 2022, 08:21:19 am »
I think I heard there is now a 1 year wait for these. If that is true, that is crazy.

More like 18 months, and that was before production stopped in Germany due to supply of key components from Ukraine.
Manual gearbox evangelist. Die-hard automotive and motorsport enthusiast. Often found covered in mud.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #181 on: March 10, 2022, 08:37:26 am »
I think I heard there is now a 1 year wait for these. If that is true, that is crazy.
I'm pretty sure any EV and likely most PHEV's are a year wait list currently and with gas prices going the way they have, demand will keep these wait times long.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #182 on: March 10, 2022, 08:39:46 am »

More like 18 months, and that was before production stopped in Germany due to supply of key components from Ukraine.
Am I wrong to think that VW only sells their EV's in a couple of provinces? 

I kind of don't get the appeal of this ID4.  It's not that good to look at, the performance numbers aren't outstanding, and the price isn't different from others.  If I was shopping for one of these I'd be going Korean for sure.  That Ioniq 5 is just so good, and the Kia version is pretty decent too.

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-103
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #183 on: March 10, 2022, 12:02:49 pm »

I kind of don't get the appeal of this ID4.  It's not that good to look at, the performance numbers aren't outstanding, and the price isn't different from others.  If I was shopping for one of these I'd be going Korean for sure.  That Ioniq 5 is just so good, and the Kia version is pretty decent too.

We always knew demand would exceed supply until production gets localized in Chattanooga, TN later this year, so since launch ID.4 has been sold through 55/145 dealers in QC, BC, and ON. Will go nationwide late this year.

Despite the small number of dealers, the order bank is shockingly large. No doubt the Korean products are compelling, but ID.4 is a really solid vehicle that hasn't been given an entirely fair shake by the media (IMO). Customer demand confirms that.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 10, 2022, 12:41:02 pm »

We always knew demand would exceed supply until production gets localized in Chattanooga, TN later this year, so since launch ID.4 has been sold through 55/145 dealers in QC, BC, and ON. Will go nationwide late this year.

Despite the small number of dealers, the order bank is shockingly large. No doubt the Korean products are compelling, but ID.4 is a really solid vehicle that hasn't been given an entirely fair shake by the media (IMO). Customer demand confirms that.
I look forward to seeing the comparisons in a year or two between all these EV's.  The reality is, just because the media dislike a product (or like a product) doesn't always mean it has an equal result in sales. 

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #185 on: March 10, 2022, 12:54:25 pm »
Going to be interesting when these EV's are in stock finally. These high gas prices have been a shock to many

Would be nice to have at least one EV to 'diversify the portfolio' as it were

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #186 on: March 10, 2022, 01:18:27 pm »

I'm in your media car the week of June 6th. Leave the enveloppe in the glovebox  ;D

My manager (dayjob) has one on order (awd). A colleague received his (2wd) a couple months ago.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 10, 2022, 09:31:49 pm »
Going to be interesting when these EV's are in stock finally. These high gas prices have been a shock to many

Would be nice to have at least one EV to 'diversify the portfolio' as it were
They will never be in stock…demand is higher than supply and it will continue like that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #188 on: March 06, 2024, 10:06:50 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqtChR1rUis (TFL EV)

ID.4 gets improved for MY 2024
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +121/-437
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
« Reply #189 on: March 15, 2024, 05:56:46 pm »
OK we get it your pushing hydrogen kit sales, give it a rest ::)

Offline warp

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-39
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 VW GTI, 2024 Toyota Grand Highlander, 2024 VW GLI
« Reply #190 on: March 16, 2024, 08:35:03 am »
Anecdotally, I understand dealer lots are overflowing with these right now. Can't give them away, pretty much the same story with all EVs. EV dealer inventory is at historic highs....more knowledgeable folks can pipe in, but isn't it at about one year's sales equivalent?

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #191 on: March 16, 2024, 09:59:11 am »
Anecdotally, I understand dealer lots are overflowing with these right now. Can't give them away, pretty much the same story with all EVs. EV dealer inventory is at historic highs....more knowledgeable folks can pipe in, but isn't it at about one year's sales equivalent?

They sell really well in QC, friends who have them absolutely love the things, even on roadtrips. VW Canada is importing unsold US inventory to QC in answer to the strong demand, and ID.4 was right-priced from the start, unlike Ariya and others.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #192 on: March 16, 2024, 01:02:38 pm »

I watched the video. The throttle position between the two runs went from 21% to 19%, which can either suggest going downhill on the second run or inflating the tires. In any case if electrolysis is used here then the energy made from burning hydrogen cannot be higher than the energy used to power the device from the car's alternator. But obviously, had I dropped a grand on this thing, my mileage might vary  :P 

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +121/-437
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
« Reply #193 on: March 16, 2024, 02:07:46 pm »

I watched the video. The throttle position between the two runs went from 21% to 19%, which can either suggest going downhill on the second run or inflating the tires. In any case if electrolysis is used here then the energy made from burning hydrogen cannot be higher than the energy used to power the device from the car's alternator. But obviously, had I dropped a grand on this thing, my mileage might vary  :P

:think: wholly crap driving an ICE vehicle is so much simpler