Author Topic: Methinks the Mazda needs a new AC belt and probably the tensioner pulley  (Read 26065 times)

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
Re: Methinks the Mazda needs a new AC belt and probably the tensioner pulley
« Reply #100 on: December 06, 2017, 10:06:08 am »
Digging deeper, other folks online point to a failing engine or transmission mount, an alternator bearing, some think it's the "AC clutch" (note: the sound occurs whether the compressor is on or not), perhaps a loose heat shield, etc.

Thoughts?

(not responding to points about replacing a car with 19,300km on it - especially since it's just a :censor: you, Noah ;D)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 10:13:22 am by No-san »

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 06, 2017, 10:09:50 am »
Mazdas mounts have typically not been very durable.  But when mine failed (in the P5 and Mz5) there was no squeak.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #102 on: December 06, 2017, 10:25:39 am »
Is there an actual idler pulley?? Oh, and congrats on the pulley change!!
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 06, 2017, 10:36:57 am »
Is there an actual idler pulley?? Oh, and congrats on the pulley change!!

I replaced the pulley in the top right.  Not sure what the idler pulley would be, except maybe the one just below it?

Anyone have a thought on whether the tensioner assembly itself could be the problem?   :-\ I somehow don't see how that could be the issue if the pulley was replaced.  That's $112.67:

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=4736313&cc=1444217

If it's the alternator pulley, Rock Auto has the part for $65.85 CAD + shipping.  I'm not positive I could reach the space to do that job, but I could check it out.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=8606792&cc=1444217&jsn=356

Engine mounts are cheap ($10.03 CAD), but I doubt that's a job I could easily do in my driveway...

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1572402&cc=1444217

The difficulty with diagnosis is that the noise isn't present at idle; it's only there under light load.  I could likely (haven't yet tried to) reproduce the noise with power braking (i.e. car in gear, foot firmly on brake, and slight rev), but then I need someone to assist me and the wife won't be willing to (especially in the winter).

Ohhhh Briannnnnn!!!!!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 10:43:09 am by No-san »

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 06, 2017, 11:14:08 am »
I keep coming back to the tensioner...not the pulley itself, but the tensioner assembly.

One guy posted elsewhere that the rod the pulley sits on (attached to the tensioner) may bend over time, causing  the pulley to not sit completely straight.  This wears the pulley bearing down, causing it to leak and fail.

That seems plausible to me, but not so easy to determine.  Hmm.

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 06, 2017, 11:17:16 am »

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #106 on: December 06, 2017, 11:18:52 am »
You're starting to take what is known as the 'shotgun approach' to car mechanics.  I.E. replacing a bunch of parts until the symptom goes away.  It is highly effective, yet also highly expensive and time consuming.

Seeing as diagnosis is often the hardest part of mechanical work, it may not be a terrible idea to go to a mechanic and pay him $50-$100 to diagnose the issue.  Once he asks if you want him to fix it, if it is then cheaper for you to do it, you can tell him no thank you.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 06, 2017, 11:35:58 am »
I thought about doing that, but it seems like a bunch of folk go to Mazda dealerships and get suggestions from exhaust issues to vacuum issues to heat shields to engine mounts to alternators...etc.

Here's my thinking:

I changed the pulley.  It was dead silent.  Perfect.  Two days later, back to the same issue.  My guess is that if I pop this pulley off (which I'll do this weekend - to avoid working in the dark), it'll look like the old one did.

If the tensioner is a POS and the bolt the pulley sits on is, indeed, warped like one guy posted, it'll just eat through pulleys.  Nobody who has replaced the pulley alone has reported that the fix lasted forever...most say another ~10,000mi or so.  Those who replace the tensioner do so with the same OEM sh!t part.  If I'm doing the changeover, I'm going for a higher-quality part.

...but replacing the tensioner now is a $140 (shipped) 'fix' that I still won't know if it'll will work or not.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 11:43:19 am by No-san »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 06, 2017, 12:28:17 pm »

I thought about doing that, but it seems like a bunch of folk go to Mazda dealerships and get suggestions from exhaust issues to vacuum issues to heat shields to engine mounts to alternators...etc.

Here's my thinking:

I changed the pulley.  It was dead silent.  Perfect.  Two days later, back to the same issue.  My guess is that if I pop this pulley off (which I'll do this weekend - to avoid working in the dark), it'll look like the old one did.

If the tensioner is a POS and the bolt the pulley sits on is, indeed, warped like one guy posted, it'll just eat through pulleys.  Nobody who has replaced the pulley alone has reported that the fix lasted forever...most say another ~10,000mi or so.  Those who replace the tensioner do so with the same OEM sh!t part.  If I'm doing the changeover, I'm going for a higher-quality part.

...but replacing the tensioner now is a $140 (shipped) 'fix' that I still won't know if it'll will work or not.

I'd be extremely shocked if a new bearing got toasted in 2 days of minimal driving.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 06, 2017, 12:41:36 pm »
I know...right?

...but then what other explanation is there for it being dead silent for two days, then all of a sudden back to the same sh!t?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 06, 2017, 12:50:05 pm »
I know...right?

...but then what other explanation is there for it being dead silent for two days, then all of a sudden back to the same sh!t?
Lift the belt off the pulley. Check for play. Again.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 06, 2017, 12:57:31 pm »
My guess is that if I pop this pulley off (which I'll do this weekend - to avoid working in the dark), it'll look like the old one did.
That's the plan.

...but then what's the explanation if there's play in the pulley?  It's brand new, non-OEM part (apparently a better design).  So what gives?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 06, 2017, 01:08:11 pm »
My guess is that if I pop this pulley off (which I'll do this weekend - to avoid working in the dark), it'll look like the old one did.
That's the plan.

...but then what's the explanation if there's play in the pulley?  It's brand new, non-OEM part (apparently a better design).  So what gives?
The only thing I see roasting a bearing so quick might be misalignment. But you'd see evidence of that on the belt IMO.

I wonder if the belt groove was worn, however minor from the previous wobbly bearing. You put new pulley on. Belt now rides on new pulley, touching on other parts of the grooves. It's quiet. A day or two passes, and now those grooves are worn back to the previously worn in grooves. Squeak is back.

I honestly have my doubts about that hypothesis though.

I still can't get my head around wearing out a new pulley so quickly. Bearings aren't exactly frail items.

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 06, 2017, 01:08:54 pm »
I still think its a belt issue.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 06, 2017, 01:11:05 pm »
I still think its a belt issue.
It's certainly a cheap fix you undertake...are least the belt riding on the idler..

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #115 on: December 06, 2017, 01:15:36 pm »
You're starting to take what is known as the 'shotgun approach' to car mechanics.  I.E. replacing a bunch of parts until the symptom goes away.  It is highly effective, yet also highly expensive and time consuming.

Seeing as diagnosis is often the hardest part of mechanical work, it may not be a terrible idea to go to a mechanic and pay him $50-$100 to diagnose the issue.  Once he asks if you want him to fix it, if it is then cheaper for you to do it, you can tell him no thank you.

I'm with GBA here.

Eventually you'll find the guilty part, but might end up spending enough where it would cheaper to just buy that R I posted. 
Plus if you get me involved, I'll just stand there watching you wrench whilst drinking all your beer, so factor in that expense too.   ;D

Forget the Mazda dealer (although the one here in Guelph is excellent in my experience).
Here's a good indy garage. If I had kept the Subaru, I was going to start using them for oil changes, head gasket replacements  :run:  , etc. 
Surely they can diagnose the issue & if you want them to do the repair, won't hose you.

http://www.collegeauto.aaro.ca/

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 06, 2017, 01:21:09 pm »

I'm with GBA here.

Eventually you'll find the guilty part, but might end up spending enough where it would cheaper to just buy that R I posted. 
Plus if you get me involved, I'll just stand there watching you wrench whilst drinking all your beer, so factor in that expense too.   ;D

Forget the Mazda dealer (although the one here in Guelph is excellent in my experience).
Here's a good indy garage. If I had kept the Subaru, I was going to start using them for oil changes, head gasket replacements  :run:  , etc. 
Surely they can diagnose the issue & if you want them to do the repair, won't hose you.

http://www.collegeauto.aaro.ca/
I don't disagree with this for some items.

But I like what NoTo did here..the pulley was cheap and easy, as is a belt. If he's wrong, he's out a few bucks for a pulley and a belt that likely needed changing anyways.

I'd say if these don't fix it, then pursue getting an expert opinion.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 06, 2017, 01:33:56 pm »
Oh FFS, squeak is still present now only at 1,500rpm. Much better, but still there. I'm guessing the belts need changing.  Summer project.

I warned you a few posts ago...it’s hard to diagnose without actually hearing the noise.

Record it for us?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 06, 2017, 02:23:43 pm »
..the pulley was cheap and easy, as is a belt. If he's wrong, he's out a few bucks for a pulley and a belt that likely needed changing anyways.

I'd say if these don't fix it, then pursue getting an expert opinion.
I agree - I'm not going to chase after this and continuously buy expensive parts until I give up.  Cheap, easy stuff, for sure.  Once it gets pricier, I'll seek out the expertise of those with far greater knowledge (and tools) than my own.

I honestly can't record the sound unless I have a second person to help, and the wife won't do it.

OH BRIANNNNN!!!!!!!!!  ;D  I've got LOTS of beer.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 06, 2017, 02:25:55 pm »
, and the wife won't do it.

A wife that won't help you for 2 minutes?

I bet if it was her car squeaking she'd be Helpy Helperson! :)