Author Topic: Mango's 2018 Camaro SS 1LE  (Read 122456 times)

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
Re: Mango's 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
« Reply #380 on: February 24, 2020, 05:54:43 pm »
I'm definitely with Vman on this.  With his current stable, why would he drive his Maro in the winter?  He has a work truck and an SUV, IIRC, so why drive the Maro?  Just like myself, it really wouldn't make much sense for me to be driving the S2K or MR2 right now when I have a work truck to drive that I really don't give a sh!t about.  It's stress free driving with the truck.....not so much with my cars.   And like Paul, I too wouldn't want to subject my cars to salt, sand, and the horrible road conditions we have. 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: February 24, 2020, 05:55:34 pm »
I'm definitely with Vman on this.  With his current stable, why would he drive his Maro in the winter?  He has a work truck and an SUV, IIRC, so why drive the Maro?  Just like myself, it really wouldn't make much sense for me to be driving the S2K or MR2 right now when I have a work truck to drive that I really don't give a sh!t about.  It's stress free driving with the truck.....not so much with my cars.   And like Paul, I too wouldn't want to subject my cars to salt, sand, and the horrible road conditions we have.

I hear ya...but damn, it sure is fun!!   ;D
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #382 on: February 24, 2020, 06:07:39 pm »

But whatever. When any of you sally :censor: buy a [modern] muscle car and drive it in the winter I'll buy you a beer. But my actions speak louder than words.

Woot!

Twas no garage queen.  ;D
was that a leased car? ;)
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #383 on: February 24, 2020, 06:34:31 pm »
I had no issues driving my RWD G in the winter, but it was my main vehicle too though.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #384 on: February 24, 2020, 06:55:58 pm »

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #385 on: February 24, 2020, 06:56:32 pm »

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #386 on: February 24, 2020, 07:20:21 pm »
We drove our B MW 323 CI all year round . Had a hard top for the winter time

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #387 on: February 24, 2020, 07:20:48 pm »
^^While I like and appreciate the nature of Ron and Bob's posts, I'm gonna play devils advocate.  The C63 and ISF are hopped up versions of family sedans.  The Camaro is more of a sports car.

I think you'll find he said muscle car.  And if a RWD, 6.2L V8 car with 450+bhp/torques doesn't qualify, then hitch my skirt up and call me Ronda!  :rofl2:

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: February 24, 2020, 07:45:59 pm »
^^While I like and appreciate the nature of Ron and Bob's posts, I'm gonna play devils advocate.  The C63 and ISF are hopped up versions of family sedans.  The Camaro is more of a sports car.

I think you'll find he said muscle car.  And if a RWD, 6.2L V8 car with 450+bhp/torques doesn't qualify, then hitch my skirt up and call me Ronda!  :rofl2:

Uh huh.  My car had a shorter wheelbase than many muscle cars...and doesn't have the electro nannies the Camaro has.   Maybe more of a handful.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #389 on: February 24, 2020, 10:19:15 pm »
Oh. Those are some nice automatic transmission family sedans guys. :stick: :stick: ;D

I'm not going down and if I do I'm doing it like Smart Electric!  ;D
My Lexus may be a family sedan, but at least it is a manual!
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: February 24, 2020, 10:23:20 pm »
Oh. Those are some nice automatic transmission family sedans guys. :stick: :stick: ;D

Says the guy that has more electronic driver aids than an EV.... :stick:'

Offline UnknownJinX

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 19 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT, 15 Corvette Z51 7MT(flooded), 09 Mazda RX-8 GT 6MT(sold)
« Reply #391 on: February 25, 2020, 12:14:49 pm »
You guys are basically correct but I would say it also depends what model you have. The splitter on my 1LE is like 4 inches off the ground. It scrapes fairly often in summer let alone winter. Not optimal for winter driving and the refrozen crust on streets and end of driveways, etc. Plus the front of the 1LE is totally open and full of radiators and heat exchangers. :censor: would make me nervous in winter.

So again, yeah you can do it, but I'm not sure why you'd want to.

But whatever. When any of you sally :censor: buy a [modern] muscle car and drive it in the winter I'll buy you a beer. But my actions speak louder than words.

PS Unknown I have driven the Stingray Z51. I've been sick and but I'll give a quick response at some point soon.

Edit: I know you did it Evil Twin, but the current Mustang is a far different beast than your 2005 GT.
Thanks, I would appreciate that.

When and if the time comes to buy them, I will test drive them both to see for sure, but until then I would like to hear some feedback, especially things I could miss on a test drive.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #392 on: February 25, 2020, 02:30:59 pm »
I'm not going down and if I do I'm doing it like Smart Electric!  ;D

:fiver:

Offline UnknownJinX

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 19 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT, 15 Corvette Z51 7MT(flooded), 09 Mazda RX-8 GT 6MT(sold)
« Reply #393 on: February 26, 2020, 12:57:58 pm »
You guys are basically correct but I would say it also depends what model you have. The splitter on my 1LE is like 4 inches off the ground. It scrapes fairly often in summer let alone winter. Not optimal for winter driving and the refrozen crust on streets and end of driveways, etc. Plus the front of the 1LE is totally open and full of radiators and heat exchangers. :censor: would make me nervous in winter.

So again, yeah you can do it, but I'm not sure why you'd want to.

PS Unknown I have driven the Stingray Z51. I've been sick and but I'll give a quick response at some point soon.

Edit: I know you did it Evil Twin, but the current Mustang is a far different beast than your 2005 GT.
Thanks, I would appreciate that.

When and if the time comes to buy them, I will test drive them both to see for sure, but until then I would like to hear some feedback, especially things I could miss on a test drive.

It sure is.  The Mustang is world class now.
Camaro still seems to be better in a lot of measures, however.

I am not considering a Mustang partly also because they are somewhat common on the West Coast(most of them are Ecoboosts, but still), while a GT350 is out of my budget and the gas mileage is plain horrendous(this is coming from a rotary owner). Couple that with the West Coast gas price... Nope.

I used to like Challengers for their looks, but after owning an RX-8, I don't think I would be very happy with the handling of a Challenger. Camaro and Corvette are better in that regard.

Not saying Mustangs are bad as they have come a long way and can be capable in the right hands and mods, but personally I am just more interested in the GM sports/pony cars.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: February 26, 2020, 02:02:40 pm »
The only thing I got out of the last few pages was: is V-Man selling the 1LE???  :'( :'( :'(  ???

Oh I wish I could buy that.  Such a facking  :drool: car.  I've got my 2wd Fusion for winters...I'd happily park the Camaro for the season.  Granted we haven't had more than 3 days here this winter either where you couldn't have driven it either, but I'd just not.   And I'd have to get a nice gas heater in my garage because it's too humid as it is...
But damn...I'll feel sympathy pains for sure if you have to sell it because those jackasses rented out your parking spot!!

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: February 26, 2020, 02:34:33 pm »
The only thing I got out of the last few pages was: is V-Man selling the 1LE???  :'( :'( :'(  ???

Oh I wish I could buy that.  Such a facking  :drool: car.  I've got my 2wd Fusion for winters...I'd happily park the Camaro for the season.  Granted we haven't had more than 3 days here this winter either where you couldn't have driven it either, but I'd just not.   And I'd have to get a nice gas heater in my garage because it's too humid as it is...
But damn...I'll feel sympathy pains for sure if you have to sell it because those jackasses rented out your parking spot!!

Thinking I might sell it next summer. Summer of 2021.

Depends on what I end up doing or what I buy. But I lost my storage which is now a bit of a pain in the ass for 4 cars. I park them at work but they are no longer garaged. 1LE can stay at my parent's garage for the winters while they're in Florida.

We'll see. As apparent on other threads I'm kinda horny for a really sporty and fast but luxurious 4 season sedan or wagon.
So purely AWD then? Or you still open to RWD?

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: February 26, 2020, 02:47:53 pm »

Thinking I might sell it next summer. Summer of 2021.

Depends on what I end up doing or what I buy. But I lost my storage which is now a bit of a pain in the ass for 4 cars. I park them at work but they are no longer garaged. 1LE can stay at my parent's garage for the winters while they're in Florida.

We'll see. As apparent on other threads I'm kinda horny for a really sporty and fast but luxurious 4 season sedan or wagon.
So purely AWD then? Or you still open to RWD?

Most likely AWD. I would never say never to RWD (particularly if it were the right specimen) but in general terms if I wanted pure RWD I'd just stick with the sportscar and beater/truck formula (which I may).
You've wanted a Porsche forever....treat yourself.

Panamera. V8

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: February 26, 2020, 03:31:56 pm »
Audi B7 RS4. AWD. V8. Manual. Will soon go up in value.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: February 26, 2020, 04:15:51 pm »

Doubt it.  Those motors are not exactly a paradigm of reliability.  Plus the manual transmissions are known for premature grenading.
Hagerty disagrees. Also didnt know about the transmission issue, but never heard of engine issues other than the carbon service. Timing chain issues were S4, not RS4 from what I have been told (Audi tech).

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: February 26, 2020, 04:39:16 pm »

Doubt it.  Those motors are not exactly a paradigm of reliability.  Plus the manual transmissions are known for premature grenading.
Hagerty disagrees. Also didnt know about the transmission issue, but never heard of engine issues other than the carbon service. Timing chain issues were S4, not RS4 from what I have been told (Audi tech).

I suspect taking a chance on one is okay assuming depreciation is flat right now (or minimal).
That is what makes it a decent buy right now, they are in their trough value wise. Probably will go up soon.