Author Topic: Day-by-Day Review: 2013 Kia Sportage; Day 1  (Read 20297 times)

Offline Woodyism

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-7
  • Drive it like your renting it!!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '11 Kia Sorento SX - '11 Kia Sportage SX
Re: Day-by-Day Review: 2013 Kia Sportage; Day 1
« Reply #80 on: February 19, 2013, 01:27:22 pm »
Ok I don't post often, so here goes.

I really like the car, I have the same just in the 2011 MY.  It is the wife's car so I don't drive it much. So far 40,000 kms of worry free driving. I think I am close to being the quintessential buyer for these things, early to mid 40-ish with the usual 2 kids, that want all the toys (I like toys) yuppies that feel there is a bit more safety in an AWD, slightly higher than a sedan, CUV. Its length is not too long nor too short for the darling wife.

Styling is really good still after 3 years - Schreyer(sp) really is the best in the business right now.  Styling is an advancement, I like car companies to progress vehicle design not just continue the same with a little change. Other than Kia, I think Caddy's and Jag's are very good looking cars right now.

Harsh ride - a little on the stiff side, though not that far, the roads are bad, not the car.  It is not pickup truck bad and if we say a 3 series has a stiff ride, its' a good thing.

I like the tight handling, small steering wheel, little body roll, it really handles very well for this type of car.  The 260 hp is enjoyable, wife loves it.

Interior is fine, not worried about the soft touch plastics in this price range, it looks pretty good and it should wear fine.

Sightlines are bad, but that is part of the design progression these days.  All the pillars are getting bigger.  You just have to learn to use the mirrors better.

My only gripe is the drivers seat, I couldn't find a comfortable long term seat position, I think it's either the seat bottom is a little short or the adjustment on the power seat doesn't allow the seat to recline in a manner that I like.

I actually think this could hold its own in that luxo CUV comparo.  With the Korean yen valued as it is the engineering on these cars has to be well beyond any other company right now.  So I feel confident in the reliability, there probably is not one outstanding car company out there.

Yes $40k is alot but the companies put alot of research into pricing and Kia probably hit the price bang on, its very competitive.  I did the US thing and saved a bunch.

Sorry but yes I am a fan of Kia's and Hyundai's, I think they are the best value for the $. And heck isn't value that what makes us Canadian. Oh yea and remember nobody is building a perfect car for $10k, there are trade offs that the companies make with every car, its just part of the business.

Cheers Woody

Offline Woodyism

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 19, 2013, 01:30:11 pm »
I do (did) car is gone, have the ECO on.  I didn't really notice much on throttle tip in though when I tried switching it.  Oh well, wish I could try again but it's gone now.

Tip in is a little strong, either with the ECO setting on or off, no difference, and I find the gear mapping fine. If you push the peddle down the car goes, hee hee.

Cheers Woody.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #82 on: February 19, 2013, 01:31:37 pm »
From Day 4:

"… so to those that feel it is too much for a Kia, it seems the average buying public disagrees."

...for now.  The Rav4 V6 sold at 30% back in 2006, and then dropped to 15%.  This Kia will not continue to sell the $40k versions for very long without steep discounts.

Can't wait to see someone review the Sportage 2.0T vs the upcoming Forester XT.  The Forester has upgraded suspension, chassis, and brakes for the XT over the base.

Oh, and if you don't care about all the comforts, get a Forester XT Premium for $32k (under $34 with Freight/PDI).  How much is a heated steering wheel really worth?

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #83 on: February 19, 2013, 01:33:11 pm »
From Day 4:

"… so to those that feel it is too much for a Kia, it seems the average buying public disagrees."

...for now.  The Rav4 V6 sold at 30% back in 2006, and then dropped to 15%.  This Kia will not continue to sell the $40k versions for very long without steep discounts.

Can't wait to see someone review the Sportage 2.0T vs the upcoming Forester XT.  The Forester has upgraded suspension, chassis, and brakes for the XT over the base.

Oh, and if you don't care about all the comforts, get a Forester XT Premium for $32k (under $34 with Freight/PDI).  How much is a heated steering wheel really worth?

At -35 or below.....my kingdom, my kingdom for a heated steering wheel  ;D
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-30
  • Give me 3 pedals or no pedals!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #84 on: February 19, 2013, 01:34:30 pm »
From Day 4:

LOL ya exactly, don't ask my MIL that question - god forbid her @ss be cold! (heated seats) ;D
My other Honda is an MP4-31!

Offline Woodyism

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 19, 2013, 01:38:35 pm »
Ok one more, engine sound lets call it a little turbo whirry, certainly not a "hemi", which is fine for me.

I have driven a percolater ('78 diesel "wabbit"), a sewing machine ('89 Mazda 323) and the oxymoron to those, a '93 Taurus SHO.

Cheers Woody

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #86 on: February 19, 2013, 02:03:08 pm »
My brother's Kia Rio5 SX has heated steering wheels. It's a switch and resistance wire, maybe $60 installed on the assembly line?

That's why I shy away from SUVs and big cars, you have to spend so much to get features like these.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #87 on: February 19, 2013, 05:26:43 pm »
From Day 4:

LOL ya exactly, don't ask my MIL that question - god forbid her @ss be cold! (heated seats) ;D

Hey, heated seats I won't live without...but a steering wheel...doesn't sell a car to me.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #88 on: February 19, 2013, 07:23:24 pm »
Hey, heated seats I won't live without...but a steering wheel...doesn't sell a car to me.
you've never had one...i said the same thing, that is, until i have one...it is now a mandatory feature for my wife's next car (that and the SmartKey system).
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 12, 2014, 01:22:12 am »
I've seen a few of these in traffic, and there's something about them I think is really stupid.

They have these HUGE taillight clusters, but the brake lights are not part of the cluster.  Instead, what looks like tiny reflectors mounted low in the bumper, are actually the brake lights.

Not only is this positioning sufficiently unusual to confuse what it means when they light up, but it takes extremely little other traffic between you and these lights to obscure them.

Whomever designed this should be fired.
And some cretins think I hate cars.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #90 on: April 12, 2014, 10:20:30 am »
they also use the red light for the blinker...it's a silly thing, but i really like the yellow lights for blinkers...i hate seeing red brake lights and a blinking red light for the turn signal...sometimes, the blinking light is the same light as the brake light.

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 12, 2014, 08:42:59 pm »
And then there's the Mercedes I saw the other day, big red taillights with white inserts, and the white inserts blink red for turn signals.  You're more likely to stare at it wondering what's going on, than prepare to not run into them.  This taillight art is getting out of hand.  Maybe if the manufacturers can't behave themselves, there may have to be regulations about such things.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #92 on: April 13, 2014, 09:55:35 am »
And then there's the Mercedes I saw the other day, big red taillights with white inserts, and the white inserts blink red for turn signals.  You're more likely to stare at it wondering what's going on, than prepare to not run into them.  This taillight art is getting out of hand.  Maybe if the manufacturers can't behave themselves, there may have to be regulations about such things.

There is in Europe!  We just care more about Bluetooth, and backup cameras first.

I think Auto Headlights should be mandatory, and the blinkers should be orange.

Last few cars of mine have been like that.  The Mazda5, Honda Odyssey, Mazda6, and Nissan Sentra. 

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 13, 2014, 10:00:17 am »

Yeah I always wished that the Germans could at least uphold the virtue of amber blinkers. I believe the GLK has red LED blinkers in a white housing as you describe though. :(

The Z4 and the CLK both have/had amber blinkers, as well as side markers of some form (mirror or body).

I suppose one could replace the LEDs with amber ones.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Northernridge

« Reply #94 on: April 13, 2014, 12:08:02 pm »

You've described the Berlin taxi...clear inserts that blink red for turn signals. Beats me why they couldn't blink amber as God intended. :P