Author Topic: Brand New Tires - Drone Issue  (Read 4278 times)

Offline luck11

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Genesis GV70
Brand New Tires - Drone Issue
« on: May 03, 2023, 05:39:17 pm »
Hoping to get advice from some experts on here.

Brand new summer wheels and tires for a new Genesis with only 2000+ kms.

Tire is Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring A/S.  265/40/21.

Tires ordered online from big online retailer in BC, wheels from one of two distributors here in Canada, and tires were installed at by a local shop that has a Hunter Road Force balancer.  That was a must. 

Got home last night, removed my winter wheels and tires, and installed these brand new 21" wheels with new tires.  Wheels are Rotary Flow forged, custom bore so hub centric, custom offset, so pretty decent quality.  Over $800 a pop.

Issue:

First drive after putting them on - very slight drone noticeable about 55 kms per hour which increases in frequency faster I go.  Lessens for a bit and starts to get much louder as I hit 80-85 kms/hr and up from there.  Noticed once, that upon deceleration, also got louder, but have not driven enough to try this again at various speeds.  Also have vibrations at around 70, and over 110.  Mostly in the body, not really noticeable in steering wheel, which suggests vibration issue stems from either or both rear wheels.  So question is whether the vibration is tied to the drone, or separate (ie. issue with tire is causing both, or tire is causing drone due to defect and wheel is slightly out of balance)

The shop that installed said they would have a look, so I will be going back in the next few days when I can.  Retailer recommends having it looked at by a mechanic...they are, and point me to warranty form online if they find an issue with tires.  Suggestion is that it could be defective tire.

Anyone have any experience with this issue, thoughts on potential causes if a mechanical issue or tire issue, and if tire, what defect in the tire could cause this drone issue?

Any feedback or guidance would be appreciated.

thx.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
Re: Brand New Tires - Drone Issue
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2023, 06:34:32 pm »
Could be a bent wheel or a wheel mounting issue. Have someone drive behind you and watch for shimmies. I once had a friend with a wobbly rear wheel because a cap holding wire got in between the hub and the wheels mounting surface, or it was a centering ring, I can't remember.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2023, 09:26:49 pm »
Check the pressures.

Take somewhere else and have them re balanced.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline luck11

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2023, 09:50:48 pm »
Wheels are brand new.  Shop would have pointed out a bent wheel.  I cleaned hub after removing winters, but little to no corrosion cause car is new.  I mounted myself.  they were good and torqued to spec...110 ft lbs.  I suspect wheel not seated on the hub would like cause shimmy at all speeds.  Not the case with mine.

Pressures are as required...33 front 36 back.  Shop that installed is rechecking, likely Friday. Not interested in spending another $140 for road force somewhere else, at least not yet especially given it could be a defective tire.

Offline capriracer

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +19/-2
    • View Profile
    • www.barrystiretech.com
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2023, 07:06:17 am »
Try swapping the fronts for the rears.  If the sound moves with the tires, then it's likely its the vibrating tire(s).  Either way, you've isolated the problem further.
CapriRacer

Visit my website:  www.barrystiretech.com

Offline ianmcc

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2023, 07:58:17 am »
Look at your tires for red and yellow dots-then read this article.
https://www.familyhandyman.com/article/red-or-yellow-dot-tire/

Offline capriracer

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +19/-2
    • View Profile
    • www.barrystiretech.com
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2023, 07:33:23 am »
Look at your tires for red and yellow dots-then read this article.
https://www.familyhandyman.com/article/red-or-yellow-dot-tire/

There's a lot wrong with that article,

First, there is no standard for what is painted on the sidewall of a tire.  Those dots could mean anything.  However, yellow dots indicating the light spot and red dots indicating the high point of out-of-round is fairly common. 

But the valve hole is NEVER placed to aid in balance.  Only a few manufacturers use the valve hole to indicate the low point of the tire - so if anything, the RED dot should be lined up with the valve hole.

- BUT -

There is no standard for wheels either.  In fact, most OEM's have the wheel marked for run out and there is no balance mark.

So don't be surprised when a tire buster puts new tires on without lining up the marks.  The vast majority of the time, it accomplishes nothing even if the marks are there. 

Offline luck11

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2023, 12:16:23 pm »
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I went back to the shop first thing this morning and they took me right in.  They had one of their young mechanics, who seems very on the ball and know his stuff, assigned to my car.

He explained afterwards that he, as noted, rotated each tire on the wheels based on the dots.  I was aware of the the dot significance prior to this, but assumed they had incorporated the standard protocol for tire install.  Anyway, I left there and went straight for the highway, where I gradually accelerated to 135 between two distant exits, and.....smooth as silk.  Not even a hint of a shimmy or vibration.  Drone I was experiencing is gone too. 

But, somewhat disappointed in these Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring A/S tires that all reviews seem to tout as quiet.  I find them noisier than expected.  They are definitely noisier than my winter tire set up (Conti Viking 7s), but granted, that is a 19" 235/55 series tire vs this a low profile 21" 265/40 tire.  Regardless, the ride quality is what I was after, which is why I went touring rather than performance.

So this issue seems to have been solved, and I am now a happy camper. ;D
« Last Edit: May 05, 2023, 12:19:32 pm by luck11 »

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2023, 12:22:55 pm »
They still make Uniroyal Tigerpaws? I last saw those on my parent's 77 chevy van.  ;D

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2023, 01:03:29 pm »
Does your Genesis have a 3.5 turbo? Why did you go 265 mm?

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2023, 06:54:32 pm »
<snippage>

But, somewhat disappointed in these Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring A/S tires that all reviews seem to tout as quiet.  I find them noisier than expected.  They are definitely noisier than my winter tire set up (Conti Viking 7s), but granted, that is a 19" 235/55 series tire vs this a low profile 21" 265/40 tire.  Regardless, the ride quality is what I was after, which is why I went touring rather than performance.

So this issue seems to have been solved, and I am now a happy camper. ;D
Not a fan of Uniroyal. I had some a long time ago when they were a premium(ish) brand but not since.  If you're not happy with them, chances are that your retailer has a satisfaction guarantee and will swap them to something else.  You can't go wrong with a Continental, Michelin, Pirelli, or Goodyear for your SUV.  There's not much difference between them at that price point, though Pirelli has a good reputation for quietness and smoothness in their "touring" tires for both SUVs and passenger cars.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2023, 07:09:50 pm »
They still make Uniroyal Tigerpaws? I last saw those on my parent's 77 chevy van.  ;D

Uniroyal is either Laredo for trucks and SUVs, or Tiger Paw for cars.  They're part of Michelin and all  made in USA AFAIK
Mr Pickypants

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2023, 08:18:48 pm »
Uniroyal's are low tier.  Goodyear's are pretty crappy as well.  Both usually come new on mid priced vehicles because of the price point.

I might try some Pirelli on the Mustang since AC mentioned them providing available sizing.  235/50/18

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2023, 08:47:10 pm »
Well wouldn't you know it. :P  Pirelli is Chinese controlled.  Got more than enough stuff from that authoritarian dictatorship including a transmission.

I've decided on Firestone Firehawk Indy 500.

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2023, 08:51:51 pm »
Well wouldn't you know it. :P  Pirelli is Chinese controlled.  Got more than enough stuff from that authoritarian dictatorship including a transmission.

They are a very good tire. I was racing in Lucky Dog at Mosport this past weekend and there was a Lexus IS300 shod with those which was very competitive and a pain in my a$$ all weekend. The Civic that I was “guest driving” in used Hankook Ventus RS-4s, a 200 TW tire.  I have the Firehawks on my TTS and have wailed on them at the track and they just take it and provide impressive grip without complaint.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2023, 09:56:54 pm by Angry Chicken »

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2023, 10:00:29 pm »
Well wouldn't you know it. [emoji14]  Pirelli is Chinese controlled.  Got more than enough stuff from that authoritarian dictatorship including a transmission.

They are a very good tire. I was racing in Lucky Dog at Mosport this past weekend and there was a Lexus IS300 shod with those which was very competitive and a pain in my a$$ all weekend. The Civic that I was “guest driving” in used Hankook Ventus RS-4s, a 200 TW tire.  I have the Firehawks on my TTS and have wailed on them at the track and they just take it and provide impressive grip without complaint.
Yup, got em on my SLK last summer & love em!

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....