Author Topic: Gas Price Update  (Read 1188711 times)

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
Re: Gas Price Update
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2006, 12:00:32 pm »
We have two prices in Toronto. Night price and the morning after. Fill up at night and save a little - 96.9 last night and 99.9 this morning.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2006, 12:03:34 pm »
In Kelowna, still 94.9 as has been for past number of weeks. No recent change.
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

mdxtasy

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2006, 12:58:54 pm »
Mdx, I saw a Red 318i last night!

Fast wasn't it?   :rofl:

alldz

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2006, 01:35:25 pm »

Yup, Wednesday at lunch it was 87.5 in St Catharines and after work when I went to fill up  :drv2: it was 97.9 for regular!  :o

Offline haris

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2006, 01:38:09 pm »
I love how in tune with the world gas markets our prices are.    :rofl:

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2006, 01:47:50 pm »
Mdx, I saw a Red 318i last night!

Fast wasn't it?   :rofl:

Yes it blew by me on the highway.... kind of silly as the conditions were horrible.

robarakira

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2006, 11:00:15 pm »
it's alright, from what I hear BMW drivers are the ultimate drivers in the world.

or was it that their cars are ultimate but they're driving skill is soso? ???

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2006, 11:35:14 pm »
it's alright, from what I hear BMW drivers are the ultimate drivers in the world.

Oh, just slightly better than your average Civic Licer Dliver!  ;D

mdxtasy

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2006, 11:37:20 pm »

Oh, just slightly better than your average Civic Licer Dliver!  ;D

That's obvious.   :o

avtoller

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2006, 01:25:45 am »
Oops, after coming down 1 cent last week, we are up 5 today. Gee, I never saw THAT coming!  :P ::)

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2006, 07:15:26 am »
Had to go to Kingston yesterday and it was 99.9 everywhere.  BUT the Flying J on at Nappanee was only 85.5 so I filled up there on my way home.

I thought I  heard that the increase in gas this time is because it was cold in Russia.  Can't wait to hear next weeks excuse.

paulk

« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2006, 12:48:10 pm »
Anyone know why crude is back to $64 a barrel again?  There haven't been any hurricanes lately.

barrie1

« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2006, 01:11:07 pm »
Greed and dowright theft which the GOVs condone. They get a share of the price for every barrel sold. More Tax's.  :)

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2006, 01:21:26 pm »
100.1 in Ajax Esso.

Glad I filled up the night before at 90.1  :o (which I thought at the time was high)
With any luck I should get thru till when it comes back down again.

Home heating? This is a warm Winter thus far in my neck of the woods.
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2006, 02:22:17 pm »
100.1 in Ajax Esso.

Glad I filled up the night before at 90.1  :o (which I thought at the time was high)
With any luck I should get thru till when it comes back down again.

Home heating? This is a warm Winter thus far in my neck of the woods.

The Air Up There is warmer, Aquaman.  ;)or is it  Saskqutchewman ?  ;D Speaking of SIZE  ;), where is Jeff the Giant? Stuck inside a Miata and can't get out?  ;D

« Last Edit: January 06, 2006, 02:31:31 pm by initial_D »

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2006, 04:32:12 pm »
By MARINA STRAUSS

Thursday, January 12, 2006 Posted at 9:38 PM EST
From Friday's Globe and Mail

Tight profit margins, limited space and regulatory straitjackets are helping to delay discount retailers' efforts to set up gas stations as they try to woo more customers to their stores.
Both Wal-Mart Canada Corp. and Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd. have been slow to roll out low-priced gas bars at their superstores, dragged down by existing or potential provincial pricing regulations, zoning approvals and inadequate space in their parking lots.
Costco, which has gas stations at only three of its 66 massive outlets, found that competition in British Columbia was “ferocious,” cutting into margins, said Louise Wendling, country manager for Costco in Canada. Meanwhile in Quebec, the chain is battling provincial minimum pricing requirements, which have forced Costco to raise its rates.
“We're going to go about it slowly,” Ms. Wendling said in an interview. “We're not in the business of running a business at a loss.”
Retailers ranging from Loblaw Cos. Ltd. to Canadian Tire Corp. Ltd. have been keen to add gas bars to their stores, viewing them as another way to entice customers with low prices and convenient services. The strategy is particularly appealing for consumers now that gas prices have surged, prompting a preference to make fewer shopping trips.
But some merchants have discovered that the strategy is more difficult to execute than they may have anticipated. Margins are slim, especially in Southern Ontario where competition is fierce, while fuel price controls in some provinces can play havoc with merchants' goals, said consultant Michael Ervin, president of MJ Ervin & Associates Inc. in Calgary.
Wal-Mart, which teamed up almost four years ago with a Canadian division of Murphy Oil Corp., has opened gas bars at just eight of its 263 discount stores despite plans to add about 20 stations annually.
Murphy may have expected to generate higher margins, and is probably disappointed, Mr. Ervin suggested. Murphy operates gas bars at Wal-Marts in the United States, but price competition isn't as vicious south of the border, Mr. Ervin said. A Murphy official did not return phone messages.
Wal-Mart, for its part, had intended a more rapid expansion of its gas bars, Wal-Mart spokesman Kevin Groh acknowledged. It may look at partnering with other gas players, or even running its own gas bars, he said.
“Our largest challenge is space,” he added, citing parking lot priorities. In some cases, the stores are part of a mall that won't accommodate gas operations.
With only eight gas shops in Alberta and Ontario, customers don't expect to be able to fill up their cars at a Wal-Mart, he said. “From a real estate perspective, it was a bit of a false start.”
The giant discounter is considering opening between 10 and 20 more gas bars, although probably not in the next year or more, he added.
And while Wal-Mart has not been hampered by provincial regulatory limitations, Costco clearly has.
In Quebec, where Costco runs one station, its recipe of selling high volumes at ultralow prices has been scuttled by the provincial imposition of a 3-cent-a-litre “tax” on operators such as Costco that have let their prices slip below regulated weekly minimums, Ms. Wendling said.
Costco is battling the province over the matter, and more than 1,000 customers have signed a petition objecting to it, she said. “We ended up being non-competitive.”
In the face of the challenges, Costco will only provide gas bars at a limited number of its stores beyond the one in Quebec and two in British Columbia, she added. In the spring, the chain plans to announce another three stations, although she would not say where they will be located.
Still, a number of retailers are plowing ahead on the gas front.
Loblaw has 189 gas stations at its more than 1,000 stores, most of them in Western Canada, and plans between 20 and 25 more this year, said Loblaw spokesman Geoffrey Wilson. Loblaw sometimes has to seek zoning changes for gas bars, he said, and parking lots aren't always big enough. “If the site is large enough our plan will be, wherever possible, to open gas bars.”
Loblaw, which runs Real Canadian Superstores, No Frills and Extra Foods stores, among others, offers promotional coupons at the pumps for items in the stores. “It's a great draw back into the stores, which is really what it's all about.”
Canadian Tire has slowed down its growth plans for gas bars, with more than 250 now operating and up to 35 on the drawing boards for the next three years, said spokeswoman Caroline Casselman.
Thin margins and price volatility have played their part in the slowdown, she said. But gas bars remain important to the retailer's marketing strategy, with cross-promotions helping to drive business.

WTF?

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2006, 04:54:17 pm »
"scuttled by the provincial imposition of a 3-cent-a-litre “tax” on operators such as Costco that have let their prices slip below regulated weekly minimums"

Very interesting.....something I'm sure a lot of people didn't know. 

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2006, 04:57:04 pm »
I suspect the WalMarts of this world are saying that there is little profit in retailing gasoline; a fact which most of us knew already. The profit is not at the retail station level, in fact some stations make little or no money.

UmroAyyar

« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2006, 12:44:54 pm »
There's only one Loblaw's Gas Bar in Toronto, at Victoria Park and Gerrard. It almost always 2 cents lower than any gas station in the area. On top of that you get 2cents a litre coupon to use in Loblaws/no frills stores.

Works fine for me, on my way to home. :banana: :drv2:

robarakira

« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2006, 12:48:56 pm »
The only gas bar we have in Victoria had somebody stealing credit card / bank card information.