Author Topic: Lifetime Fluids question  (Read 3895 times)

Offline CSH

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +71/-102
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Telsa Model 3 SR+, 2009 Honda CRV, 2015 Honda CBR500R
Lifetime Fluids question
« on: December 21, 2015, 02:17:16 pm »
BMW just crossed the 100K mark. According to the manual the following are lifetime fluids:

AT Fluid
Steering Fluid
Engine Coolant
Differential fluid.

I found a good Indy mechanic that is about 70% cost of a dealer.  My plan is to keep the car to atleast 300K (hopefully, barring major mechanical issues). Do you recommend to change one of more of the fluids?

Another question. How come the 07 Camry does not have Differential fluid? Is it because of RWD/FWD?

Some folks say replacing it 100K might cause more issues and others say the change is necessary if you plan to keep the vehicle for a long time.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 02:21:00 pm by CSH »

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
Re: Lifetime Fluids question
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 02:48:44 pm »
FWD cars don't have a separate differential, so no differential fluid to change. Change the transmission fluid and the differential gets taken care of as well.

I also like to keep my cars for a long time, so change out the fluids at 100k kms regardless of what the manufacturer says. Has worked fine for me, but YMMV.

Funny, but I took the Yukon in to have the brake fluid flushed (it had been four years) and the service advisor tried to talk me out of it. Said it was "lifetime" and he didn't want me wasting my money on something that wasn't necessary. I thanked him for his concern, but had them change it anyway. :)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Lifetime Fluids question
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 04:37:09 pm »
Lifetime means life of the warranty. Not the car. I've had cars with so-called lifetime fluids and changed them without any issues. One thing to note is that there might be special procedures so checkout out carefully before you go ahead.

An example is the trans fluid on most Mercedes models has the level set at a specific fluid temperature. So the dealers (and good indies) have the scan tool to bring the fluid to the correct temperature.

Also, many newer cars don't have dipsticks. Again, dealers and good. Indies have the right stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 01:27:45 am »
AT Fluid
Steering Fluid
Engine Coolant
Differential fluid.

Coolant for sure.  Use BMW fluid.  Usually it's blue in colour.

then change Brake fluid.

check diff for level and water.  If OK, then leave alone.

Steering fluid - No

ATF...  a bit complex in those cars.  Dunno.   

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 05:33:01 am »
I presume that you follow the schedule for brake fluid, used to be every 2 years and I had them do mine on time regardless of mileage.

Coolant for sure every few years with BMW coolant.
Diff 'fluid' is probably a synthetic gear oil  and probably lasts a long time in a 323 ( as distinct from an M-car!)
Power steering 'fluid' is probably normal hydraulic oil and should not need replacing for many years.
AT fluid.  I dunno but I'd check with the various BMW forums if there is a recommended replacement. fluid and replacement interval.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 05:35:08 am by tpl »
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline CSH

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 08:12:50 am »
Thanks for all your replies
Brake fluid is on CBS and come up every 2 years, was last changed Sep 2014. Going in for oil and scheduled spark plug replacement (dont belieive its 96K) some people recommend changing it even sooner. Will get engine coolant changed.

Why is Spark plugs on Camry every 192K and BMW every 96K?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 08:15:25 am by CSH »

Offline CSH

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2015, 05:23:50 pm »
So went to the indy shop today.
Changes Spark Plugs $200
Oil $105
Coolant $80

Is this high low or avg for a BMW?

He said dont do AT fluid as they have seen issues in some cars they have done the work. Is this true or he simply does not have the equipment to do the change?
He also mentioned that the diff fluid is different from the AT fluid and is 80$. He said i can do it in June.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2015, 05:25:57 pm »
you have 20 spark plugs  :shuffle: :think: :thumbdown:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2015, 06:16:34 pm »
So went to the indy shop today.
Changes Spark Plugs $200
Oil $105
Coolant $80

Is this high low or avg for a BMW?

He said dont do AT fluid as they have seen issues in some cars they have done the work. Is this true or he simply does not have the equipment to do the change?
He also mentioned that the diff fluid is different from the AT fluid and is 80$. He said i can do it in June.

i say that sounds about fair.

primo synthetic oil is 10$/L at least, your car needs 6, plus labor.
oe spark plugs are like 8~12$/piece, would take about an hour labor.
coolant, you don't really need to change yet, but if i were to pay to have it done, i would say that's fair price.

diff fluid is easy to change, takes about 1.5~2L,  maybe half hour labor.  oe stuff is like $20+ per liter.   so.. yeah, not bad.

i say your indy is very fair as long as the work is competent.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-35
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2015, 09:08:52 am »
According to the manual the following are lifetime fluids.

No such thing.

I'll believe it when the manufacturer gives me a lifetime warranty on the components those fluids lubricate.
What you won't find in my car is a coffee, cigarette and a cell phone. What you will find is a driver; imagine that, a driver in a vehicle. What an effing concept!
A car has to do more than just perform; it has to stir your soul!
A true driver's car does not have cup holders.