Author Topic: Mazda Rhodium White Metallic paint issue  (Read 1113 times)

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
Mazda Rhodium White Metallic paint issue
« on: December 01, 2023, 10:36:14 am »
I purchased a 2023 Mazda CX-5 in the new Rhodium White Metallic. Before buying I researched the SUV and found out that the new white uses a 2 step painting process vs 3 steps on old models. In other words Mazda is using less paint. That concerned me a bit.

The paint looks great and has a beautiful pearl finish in the sun.

A problem exists on the bumpers. It is a subtle problem that really only is apparent on cloudy overcasts days. On the edge of bumpers where the bumper meets the body there is a grayish tinge. It is like the edge did not get quite enough paint to cover the primer. It exists on both bumpers on all 4 corners. It is minor but it catches my eye every time I am washing the car. It looks like a shadow line. 

I approached the service manager at the dealership to show her the issue. I provided her high resolution pictures. She forwarded them to Mazda Canada for review. Mazda Canada came back stating that "Variations in paint color between plastic bumpers and body of a car is common". 

That I do know as I have seen that variation on a few cars. I went back to her explaining that the variation exists on the bumper itself. The edge of bumper varies slightly from rest of the bumper.

She and my salesman checked another 2023 Mazda CX-5 at my request. She came back saying that the other CX-5 has the same issue so it is "Normal". I went back (being a pain in the ass) and told her because all the CX-5's have the same problem does not make it "Normal". It in fact makes it a wide spread problem. I have heard back from her since. 

It is fairly minor and would not bother most people. If fixed, I would not want existed bumpers re-painted. I would want new bumpers.  I am sure that will never happen.

At this point I am more upset at Mazda's silly responses that the paint issue.

I will attach pictures but because I cannot attach high resolution shots I doubt you will be able to see the issue.
If you want more in life you have to make an effort.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
Re: Mazda Rhodium White Metallic paint issue
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2023, 10:41:06 am »
I can kinda see it in the second picture.

Seems pretty minor.  I think you're being too picky. 

Then again I picked up mine used at 3 years old, so I wasn't invested in initial quality on my CX-5 like you are...

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2023, 10:44:01 am »
The lack of response from Mazda when I had an issue with one of their dealerships is a big reason I'm hesitant to get another one.

So I'm not surprised they brushed you away.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2023, 11:10:22 am »

The lack of response from Mazda when I had an issue with one of their dealerships is a big reason I'm hesitant to get another one.

Yes I admit I am picky. I bought a Mazda greatly because of quality of product. I will not go to war on this issue but I want to make my point with Mazda that they may have an paint issue.

I must say that since the purchase the dealership has not impressed me. Will not be doing Mtce with them for sure. I will stick to my indi and keep things well documented. 

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2023, 02:36:26 pm »
Once I had ordered blue, my wife said she had wanted white all along  ;D Glad I did not get the white, especially after treating all the rust stains on the Subaru's very pale silver paint last Spring. Your issue + "rail dust" makes me even more confident in my blue. But, as you know, I have had other issues with my Mazda...
« Last Edit: December 02, 2023, 04:18:17 pm by Blueprint »
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2023, 06:59:52 pm »

Yes I admit I am picky. I bought a Mazda greatly because of quality of product. I will not go to war on this issue but I want to make my point with Mazda that they may have an paint issue.

I must say that since the purchase the dealership has not impressed me. Will not be doing Mtce with them for sure. I will stick to my indi and keep things well documented.

Someone I know bought a new 3 and right from the start was noticing suspension noises. Mentioned it to the dealer where he bought it and was doing scheduled maintenance - everything is "normal". Took it to another dealer - the same. Spoke with Mazda IIRC and was sent to a third dealer, but before going there he took it to an indie and withing 2 minutes the mechanic has found play in the front wheel bearing. The third dealer afterwards tried to play stupid and had the owner shake the wheel to show them (!) the issue and it took him another two weeks of scheduling errors and jumping through various hoops to get it fixed. I later asked him why he didn't just use the indie and according to the guy it was a matter of principle and he had bought a new car expecting not having to fix anything out of pocket. Soon after he got rid of the car and I can't imaging him considering another new Mazda any time soon.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2023, 08:17:58 pm »

Someone I know bought a new 3 and right from the start was noticing suspension noises. Mentioned it to the dealer where he bought it and was doing scheduled maintenance - everything is "normal". Took it to another dealer - the same. Spoke with Mazda IIRC and was sent to a third dealer, but before going there he took it to an indie and withing 2 minutes the mechanic has found play in the front wheel bearing. The third dealer afterwards tried to play stupid and had the owner shake the wheel to show them (!) the issue and it took him another two weeks of scheduling errors and jumping through various hoops to get it fixed. I later asked him why he didn't just use the indie and according to the guy it was a matter of principle and he had bought a new car expecting not having to fix anything out of pocket. Soon after he got rid of the car and I can't imaging him considering another new Mazda any time soon.
Stealerships.....
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2023, 08:40:04 pm »
I tell ya, "oh, they all do that" slogan should be placed above many of their front doors.  :P

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2023, 08:58:04 pm »
^^^ Not exactly a premium dealership experience from a brand that is trying to position themselves upmarket, eh?

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-327
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2023, 10:54:46 pm »
My In-Laws bought a new Buick Enclave years back in white diamond. It had a spot that looked like the base was a slightly different colour (yellowish). The dealer had the same story, guess GM bumpers are painted in an entirely different plant than the one that actually builds the car, so variations in colour and finish may be “normal”. In other words, they did nothing. That was the Canadian dealer, when they got to Phoenix they took it in for service and mentioned the paint issue. That dealership had the entire bumper repainted under warranty. Try another store maybe?

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2023, 11:48:15 pm »
^^^ Not exactly a premium dealership experience from a brand that is trying to position themselves upmarket, eh?
So much this...tired of hearing about it.

They just think they're premium.

Great designs though.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2023, 07:39:38 am »
Our 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe had pearl three step paint, the summer when washing it I found this exact same thing you did with your Mazda.  Subtle difference and not something you notice from a short distance away, but when you are a car guy who washes your car by hand you notice these things.

Turns out the rear bumper is actually painted a different colour altogether, it actually didn’t have any pearl in it.  This was done on purpose from factory, likely cost cutting but also if you have any little fender benders it’s much cheaper to paint. 

In the end, I accepted it as it wasn’t something others noticed and it is a CUV and not some high end sports car where my level of care would be much higher for such things.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2023, 08:53:09 am »
 I don't think this situation is just with white. Although it is more noticeable with a fancy shade of white. I had a beige 2000 corolla with the same issue. The paint sprayed on  a bumper cover has a flexing agent  in it which is different from the metal part of  a vehicle. I don't know if this has an effect  or not though. Some colours bring out this worse than others,especially light metallic shades.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2023, 11:16:34 am »

The explanation I heard is, even when under warranty, a dealer will try to squeeze every penny out of their client (did you do the X maintenance?) before taking care of the issue even when they know full well what that is, because the brand's in question head office will only pay so little for that warranty fix while the dealer needs to "keep the lights on". It's a rotten culture that has plagued many brands, unfortunately. Maybe Tesla and others in the future will take care of it.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2023, 02:27:01 pm »
Not much Mazda Canada can do about a paint variation with a vehicle painted in Japan by a company not being Mazda.  In the States at Toyota plants, BASF operate the paint facility.  It's not Toyota buying the paint and then painting the vehicle.  It's a BASF operation inside the plant. 

Offline z973

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +10/-35
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-50 GSL
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2023, 04:51:38 pm »
the worst cars i remember were the early 2000s  Audi with white pearl paint you can see the difference a mile away
all cars have a slight difference between the plastic and metal its only on lighter cars that are more apparent
my neighbor has a red Mazda 3 and the fuel cover is very apparent and another Toyota Rav4 is worst in silver

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2023, 05:18:39 pm »
Not to hijack, but I had an incredible pearl white on my Lincoln Mark VIII called "Opal Opalescent Metallic"

Was pretty spectacular

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2023, 05:19:42 pm »
Just to be clear. I know I am repeating myself. But the there is not only a variation between body and bumper (that I get) but there is a variation on the bumper itself. The leading edges of bumper where they meet the body have a grayish look to them. Almost like not enough white paint hit the edges and the primer is showing through slightly. That is what I have a problem with.

Yes I know it is minor but when your dropping almost full MSRP on a new car you would like it to be (and expect it to be) perfect.

The response from Mazda that "they are all like that so it is normal" pretty much sucks.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2023, 06:17:24 pm »
Not to hijack, but I had an incredible pearl white on my Lincoln Mark VIII called "Opal Opalescent Metallic"

Was pretty spectacular

Pearl White on the MDX excellent.  PPG paint (Pittsburg Plate Glass)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2023, 06:19:34 pm »
Just to be clear. I know I am repeating myself. But the there is not only a variation between body and bumper (that I get) but there is a variation on the bumper itself. The leading edges of bumper where they meet the body have a grayish look to them. Almost like not enough white paint hit the edges and the primer is showing through slightly. That is what I have a problem with.

Yes I know it is minor but when your dropping almost full MSRP on a new car you would like it to be (and expect it to be) perfect.

The response from Mazda that "they are all like that so it is normal" pretty much sucks.

It's price point related.  You need to put it aside or trade for another vehicle.  Mazda Canada will do zip.  Do what I do. Let the rain wash it.