Author Topic: Beware of counterfeit parts  (Read 1165 times)

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
Beware of counterfeit parts
« on: November 01, 2023, 01:34:23 pm »
.. as they are getting hard to spot.
From the Car care nut:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ-ma1w8r6Q (Toyota water pump)

Luckily for DIYers, Canadian Toyota dealers have started selling parts online, and with good discounts too. It works especially well if you pick it up at their store, saving on shipping.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2023, 05:57:55 pm by EV Dan »
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Re: Beware of counterfeir parts
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2023, 07:08:31 pm »
And on the second thought, how cool is that, to replace a water pump and not deal with those belts, tensioners and pulleys  :)

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2023, 03:33:42 pm »
Sort of a follow up. Right source, perfect fit, a one digit off PN cause massive frustration.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBIGrwq5m10

Anyone who says Toyota catalogs are confusing, apparently has never tried to order something as simple as an air filter for a Focus  :P

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-327
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2023, 08:39:20 pm »
Dealing with a leaky water pump right now on a 2010 Odyssey. T-Belt, pump, tensioner, idler, all done 27,000 km ago. Brand of water pump and tensioner is Gates. Mechanic said they’re getting more and more failures of new parts. A nice extra $1,000+ I had to spend unexpectedly. One of the reasons I bought it was because this service had recently been done.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2023, 11:39:54 am »
Dealing with a leaky water pump right now on a 2010 Odyssey. T-Belt, pump, tensioner, idler, all done 27,000 km ago. Brand of water pump and tensioner is Gates. Mechanic said they’re getting more and more failures of new parts. A nice extra $1,000+ I had to spend unexpectedly. One of the reasons I bought it was because this service had recently been done.

I had to ditch my aftermarket tensioner. Noisy garbage that failed after about 30k kms. Run nothing but OE in the Honda now. Can get OK deals and there are some discount US dealers.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-96
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2023, 04:33:38 pm »

I had to ditch my aftermarket tensioner. Noisy garbage that failed after about 30k kms. Run nothing but OE in the Honda now. Can get OK deals and there are some discount US dealers.

I think there is a middle ground in aftermarket. For instance if the mechanic/previous owner would've gone for an Aisin water pump rather than Gates would've been no issue. Most likely the Honda original pump is an Aisin unit as for many Japanese cars.
Or in your case, an INA tensioner would've probably been just fine rather than whatever brand you got.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2023, 05:55:15 pm »
^^^ Yes, if you know who the OEM is for a part in question then it is safer to get that, than using some generic part. Only possible drawback is when such OE part is bought from well known online retailers, there is a risk it's a knock off. Buying from a brick and mortar dealer is somewhat a guarantee there are no shenanigans.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-96
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2023, 07:01:50 pm »
^^^ Yes, if you know who the OEM is for a part in question then it is safer to get that, than using some generic part. Only possible drawback is when such OE part is bought from well known online retailers, there is a risk it's a knock off. Buying from a brick and mortar dealer is somewhat a guarantee there are no shenanigans.

Yes, indeed. I found it especially difficult to find such info on Mitsubishi or Subaru. For BMW and VW it's easy - lots of online info. Besides, if you spend a bit of time around a German car, you will will learn it from the source as most parts have labels or stamping with the part manufacturer name, trade symbol....

Just yesterday I took out the fog light assembly on the BMW to deal with an issue. Made by Hella. Looked it up on RA for availability and price check just to get an idea in case I need to replace it. Bingo... They carry Hella for $100 and something called DEPO for $95. No brainier what I would get... This is why I like to buy my own parts rather than some else do it for me. Buy BMW "genuine" ($255)? No f... way. 

I have confidence that RA and the few local suppliers I use on occasions don't sell counterfeit parts. At least I give them the benefit of the doubt before they prove me wrong. Stuff you buy from eBay.... Different ball game...

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
Re: Beware of counterfeit parts
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2023, 07:45:55 pm »
Yeah you just can't from ebay. Rock auto has been ok.  Like I said since I turn most of my own wrenches I don't mind spending an extra $20 for OE.  Buy the parts guy a coffee and ask for the internal shop rate...

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2023, 08:57:11 pm »
Yeah you just can't from ebay. Rock auto has been ok.  Like I said since I turn most of my own wrenches I don't mind spending an extra $20 for OE.  Buy the parts guy a coffee and ask for the internal shop rate...

Are you that guy?  :P

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2023, 11:34:03 am »

For sure.  I get Honda parts 50% of list.  ;D

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2023, 02:16:39 pm »

For sure.  I get Honda parts 50% of list.  ;D

But you are in Alberta (IIRC) and I don't drive a Honda ...  :'(  :P

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2023, 03:18:38 pm »
lol. I am sure if you applied yourself you can get discounts on any manufacturers OE parts.