Author Topic: Done with RockAuto - Never Again  (Read 16223 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
Re: Done with RockAuto - Never Again
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2021, 04:36:54 pm »
Once they lost my payment (bank info changed I think) and it was nearly impossible to straighten it out as everything is over email and every time there is a new guy who appears to have 5 sec to deal with your issue.

Second time, my last order, parts came not as shown and to complete an online return they ask you a million of questions, still offer to pay half of the shipping cost and finally the packaging instructions are ridiculous - basically they do everything to discourage your return.

I will still use their website to look up part manufacturers and product numbers and then search amazon and ebay, with whom I placed hundreds or orders combined and any issues were dealt with professionally and respectfully.

Otherwise, for ASAP needs I am comfortable with Canadiantire, partsource  and Napa.
I use The Wrench Monkey in Canada.  So far so good.

Their prices on Mevotech components are typically cheaper than Rock auto for example.

https://www.thewrenchmonkey.ca/

Never heard of Mevotech, and it's a problem with Canadian manufacturers, you'd think if they are local everybody would have known them. How do you like their parts, do they last at all?
Been very pleased with them actually. No bad stories to report.

Mechanic friends said he had ONE ball joint that went bad in all the installs he's done with their products and the company made it right.

I've used their control arms (they even make some adjustable control arms! ), sway bar links and tie rods.

I had a set of Mevotech sway bar links go bad after a year or so. Ordered new ones and received a warranty refund when I returned the old ones. The new models were significantly beefier in construction so likely an updated design.

I know for awhile they had 2 versions...a jobber version and a beefier version.

I no longer see the jobber version.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +102/-402
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '24 Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2021, 04:43:16 pm »
Too many issues with this company. Items getting stuck in customs, then broker fees on top of what I paid, and I get the wrong parts. Then they want me to pay to return them. All or some of these happen every single time. Never again. Buying Canadian from now on.

Spam incoming...

https://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?topic=107433.msg1541327#msg1541327

Good call. I also thought the same... :popo: :popo: :popo:
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2021, 05:02:19 pm »
You have to laugh though. Tries to bad mouth a company and gets mostly positive feedback.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2021, 05:18:14 pm »
Yeah I don't know what this dude is all about, I've never, knock on wood, had an issue with Rockauto. I've got a toolbox full of magnets on them so its not a matter of I got lucky once or twice.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2021, 05:30:08 pm »
You have to laugh though. Tries to bad mouth a company and gets mostly positive feedback.

This.

Now we know his 'coupon' is :censor:.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2021, 05:32:13 pm »
Yeah, I've probably put 40-50 orders through rockauto in the last 3 years or so. I think I've had one issue where I had to return something, and the process was awful, but ultimately it worked and the savings/convenience of using them are well worth it for me. I actually prefer them for obscure stuff...lock actuators, blend door motors, random sensors and pigtails, etc.

For wear items like brakes, suspension, etc, the local options have gotten pretty competitive given the share the RA has gained, so the pricing isn't as far out as it used to be, and the fact that the local options have subpar cataloging is less of an issue on their more common parts.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2021, 05:36:59 pm »
Well he was creative and patient, so my curiosity is piqued  :)

Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2021, 05:43:32 pm »
Yeah, I've probably put 40-50 orders through rockauto in the last 3 years or so. I think I've had one issue where I had to return something, and the process was awful, but ultimately it worked and the savings/convenience of using them are well worth it for me. I actually prefer them for obscure stuff...lock actuators, blend door motors, random sensors and pigtails, etc.

For wear items like brakes, suspension, etc, the local options have gotten pretty competitive given the share the RA has gained, so the pricing isn't as far out as it used to be, and the fact that the local options have subpar cataloging is less of an issue on their more common parts.

Return (particularly core of heavy items) sucks...because you get killed on shipping.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2021, 06:05:22 pm »

Return (particularly core of heavy items) sucks...because you get killed on shipping.

Yeah, I've avoided buying anything with a core via RA, for that reason.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2021, 06:05:55 pm »

Yeah, I've avoided buying anything with a core via RA, for that reason.

I usually send the core back when I make a trip to the US if it's a heavy one.

There was a time or two that it was STILL cheaper even if I didn't send the core back.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '24 Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2021, 07:03:03 pm »
I ordered some trunk lifter struts for the M5 off RockAuto. One literally snapped in half the second time I tried to open it... product was crap. They were something like $12 each though, and the return process looked like total hell, so I forgot about it.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2021, 07:22:54 pm »
I ordered some trunk lifter struts for the M5 off RockAuto. One literally snapped in half the second time I tried to open it... product was crap. They were something like $12 each though, and the return process looked like total hell, so I forgot about it.

I forgot... lifter struts for the Yukon were my last purchase on RockAuto as well. They had some on Closeout - Final Sale for ridiculously cheap, so I bought those to save like ten bucks.  ::)

They work okay, but only barely better than the old, worn-out ones I was replacing. And one of them started to rust really bad shortly after install. I almost think it was a returned/remanufactured/refurbished unit.

Oh well, no biggie, and lesson learned.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2021, 07:58:32 pm »
No one ever seems to want my cores back on the cars I own  :rofl2:

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2021, 07:58:57 pm »
My approach is to only buy the quality parts from Rock Auto.  And I'm generally a cheap bastard.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2021, 10:49:46 am »
I just ordered about $500 worth of cr@p on RockAuto for the A/C install on the Camry. It arrives next week and I'm going to flatbed my car to the shop, and the tinkering will start.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2021, 01:16:28 pm »
^^^ Good luck with the install. It reminds me of the time when I bought my 90 corolla . It didn't have A/C so i had the dealer install it for 1200 bucks. Not every car had A/C standard as they do today. Among my friends I was the first with an air conditioned car. My how things have changed.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2021, 06:26:16 pm »
I just ordered about $500 worth of cr@p on RockAuto for the A/C install on the Camry. It arrives next week and I'm going to flatbed my car to the shop, and the tinkering will start.

We're entertained by this sort of thing, so document the process well.   ;D
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2021, 06:34:48 pm »
^^^ Good luck with the install. It reminds me of the time when I bought my 90 corolla . It didn't have A/C so i had the dealer install it for 1200 bucks. Not every car had A/C standard as they do today. Among my friends I was the first with an air conditioned car. My how things have changed.

Yup, exactly. My '90 is the up-level LE (above the DX) and has things like power mirrors and the velour interior, but no power windows, door locks or air conditioning. The climate head has a blanked out button where the A/C one should be.

Conversely, the only other AllTrac Camry I've ever seen is the one I grew up in, and that was a base DX with no power steering, but still definitely had the air conditioning equipped!

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2021, 07:28:40 pm »

Yup, exactly. My '90 is the up-level LE (above the DX) and has things like power mirrors and the velour interior, but no power windows, door locks or air conditioning. The climate head has a blanked out button where the A/C one should be.

Conversely, the only other AllTrac Camry I've ever seen is the one I grew up in, and that was a base DX with no power steering, but still definitely had the air conditioning equipped!

My 1986 Celica had the a/c button, and it clicked on and off, just no a/c components  ;D Dealer-installed kit on most Japanese cars at the time.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2021, 11:35:13 am »

I did that with sway bar end links on my old Taurus many moons ago.  Was a$12 part at RA (I got what I paid for  :P)...one broke. $15 to send it back. LMFAO...yeah, uh, no.  Went to the local dealer and just sucked up the $40/ side - the 2nd one broke a week or so after the first one.

Reason they sucked?  Maybe not these ones, but imagine that fat center section as being a tube around the "bolt" that goes from thread to thread (because that's what it was) which I assume was to give it (the appearance of) added strength, which does NOT give it any added strength.  I chalked it up to our bumpyshit roads (they both snapped at a tube end by the threads)...but really, it's a poor design that shouldn't even be available as an option...other than they make $12 on each and no one will send them back because it's too 'spensive.